Show recommendations

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Show recommendations

Post by Sammich »

I used to find new TV shows to watch on Hulu while at work, but they just outlawed it here at work (streaming was too hard on our servers). So now my only TV time is in the evening after the kids are in bed, and my wife doesn't want to waste time exploring shows to see what's good (that's what I used to do at work). Does anyone have any recommendations?
What we've enjoyed watching:
Psych
Chuck
Fringe
Leverage
Heroes
30 Rock
The Office
Lost

Shows we liked okay but didn't suck us in:
Warehouse 13
Better Off Ted
Community
Battlestar Galactica
Merlin

I originally put a category of "shows that sucked" but I didn't want to offend anyone who just had different tastes. So does anyone have suggestions for things we might like?

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Show recommendations

Post by snoscythe »

I will start with my default recommendation: Arrested Development. It is a show that everyone MUST watch at least once, and then proceed to watch a second time from beginning to end. Genius doesn't begin to describe the writing--if you like 30 Rock and the Office, you will LOVE AD.

Another good one is "The Riches" that ran on FX for a couple of seasons. A word of warning--it is pretty edgy stuff for network cable even. It falls in the gray area between PG-13 and R---a whole lotta bad language and sexual references, but no f-bombs or nudity that put it over the edge. It's about a family of Irish Travellers (Gypsies) that "steal the american dream." It's dark, but funny. If you're the type of person who needs closure, don't even start the series.....it got cancelled before anything worked its way to closure.

Both AD and The Riches are kaput, so you'd have to NetFlix them.

As for current shows, we are sucked into Glee right now, and I think you can still catch up on all the episodes on the Fox website.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

There are only a few shows that I really get to watch while school is raging around my work schedule, but these are things I don't miss... (thank goodness for DVR. I can get these shows and watch them over the weekend or when doing home work).

Mondays: House

Tuesdays: Nothing

Wednesdays: Glee
Criminal Minds
Friday Night Lights (starting up on DirecTV this week, on NBC early next year)

Thursdays:
Office
30 Rock
CSI
Mentalist

Friday: Monk
Psych (now done for the season)

Saturday: Football

Sunday: Football
Dexter (showtime) ** not appropriate for anybody! but I love it.

Shows that are no longer on the air: You cannot pass up Arrested Development, like Sno said, it truly is one of the most brilliant comedies of all time. Also: The Unit, a great take on a special forces group. The first few seasons of 24 were spectacular. The later seasons are not as good, but worth watching usually. Mythbusters is also a good show to watch.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Sammich wrote:Psych
Heroes
The Office
Lost
Community
. I second these shows.

I also like House and Glee.

Others:
Burn Notice!
Wipeout
The Soup (my wife loves it)
Shark Tank
Survivor
Reruns of "My Name Is Earl"
And we're giving "FlashForward" a chance
My wife says "Trauma" is good
"Lie to Me" is okay

I watch too much TV.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

Flash Forward has been interesting so far. I don't like any of the characters, but that didn't stop Lost either (yeah, Hurley and Locke are okay).

We've already gone through Arrested Development two times.
My Name is Earl has its golden moments.
I forgot to list Monk among our favorites.
We didn't like Glee much. But we've admittedly only seen two half episodes.

Thanks for all the other recommendations. We'll check them out (except Dexter, I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the first episode. Interesting premise, but way too dark for my taste).

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

I have to second Burn Notice. It seems like USA has a lot of good shows on. Burn Notice appeals to me because it is about a CIA agent that gets burned (blackballed from continuing as an Agent) and starts using his skills to help out people in Miami (his clients). It has a lot of humor, combined with some action that makes it a very entertaining show.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

I agree with pretty much everything here. I also enjoy "Sit Down Shut Up" done by the writer of AD, but a little raunchier at times. Also, "Firefly" was a good one, if you haven't gone through it, you probably should.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

I haven't heard of Sit Down Shut Up. I did give Burn Notice a chance though and didn't make it through an episode. Maybe time to give it another try.

kiwibacon
All-American

Post by kiwibacon »

Sammich wrote:I haven't heard of Sit Down Shut Up. I did give Burn Notice a chance though and didn't make it through an episode. Maybe time to give it another try.
Gotta start from the beginning.

Another show that I just started that has not been mentioned is White Collar. It appears it may have some promise.

BYUROCKS
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BYUROCKS »

Sammich wrote:I used to find new TV shows to watch on Hulu while at work, but they just outlawed it here at work (streaming was too hard on our servers). So now my only TV time is in the evening after the kids are in bed, and my wife doesn't want to waste time exploring shows to see what's good (that's what I used to do at work). Does anyone have any recommendations?
What we've enjoyed watching:
Psych
Chuck
Fringe
Leverage
Heroes
30 Rock
The Office
Lost

Shows we liked okay but didn't suck us in:
Warehouse 13
Better Off Ted
Community
Battlestar Galactica
Merlin

I originally put a category of "shows that sucked" but I didn't want to offend anyone who just had different tastes. So does anyone have suggestions for things we might like?

I LOVE Psych, I liked Jericho, Star Gate is one of my Favs, not so much Atlantis but SG1, and Universe, I also like Glenn Back, that is a must see :ugeek: :ugeek: