BYU Cougars on the court.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU adds Paora Winitana to roster

Post by Fido »

https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2021/8/8 ... its-to-byu

BYU added the 17th and final piece to its 2021 roster as 6-foot-6 guard/forward Paora Winitana committed to BYU. Winitana played for American Heritage (Lehi, Utah) at the 2A level where his dad was the head coach. He committed to BYU via his Instagram.

Winitana dominated the 2A level, averaging 26 points, 15.5 rebounds and 7.1 assists per game. He grew up in New Zealand before coming to the US before his junior year of high school.

Winitana was also recruited by Utah, UVU, and some other D1 schools before ultimately committing to BYU. He visited BYU and coaches in June with his parents. He will come to BYU as a walk on and plans to play one year before serving a LDS mission.

At 6-foot-6, Winitana can play point guard or an undersized big with his strength.

“I believe I’m very versatile given my size and strength. I’ve played PG my entire life and since I’ve been blessed with my body, I’ve been playing inside too.”

Winitana’s size and guard skills make him an intriguing option at guard. He’s not going to beat guys with his quickness, but his big frame could cause some mismatches at the guard line. Winitana is presumably the final piece that will be added to BYU’s roster before the season tips off November 9.

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt

Re: BYU adds Paora Winitana to roster

Post by E-Zone15 »

Fido wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:56 pm https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2021/8/8 ... its-to-byu

BYU added the 17th and final piece to its 2021 roster as 6-foot-6 guard/forward Paora Winitana committed to BYU. Winitana played for American Heritage (Lehi, Utah) at the 2A level where his dad was the head coach. He committed to BYU via his Instagram.

Winitana dominated the 2A level, averaging 26 points, 15.5 rebounds and 7.1 assists per game. He grew up in New Zealand before coming to the US before his junior year of high school.

Winitana was also recruited by Utah, UVU, and some other D1 schools before ultimately committing to BYU. He visited BYU and coaches in June with his parents. He will come to BYU as a walk on and plans to play one year before serving a LDS mission.

At 6-foot-6, Winitana can play point guard or an undersized big with his strength.

“I believe I’m very versatile given my size and strength. I’ve played PG my entire life and since I’ve been blessed with my body, I’ve been playing inside too.”

Winitana’s size and guard skills make him an intriguing option at guard. He’s not going to beat guys with his quickness, but his big frame could cause some mismatches at the guard line. Winitana is presumably the final piece that will be added to BYU’s roster before the season tips off November 9.
It does look like he has a pretty good ball handling skillset, not that he will see much time at the PG... But he will be another ball handling option (1, 2, 3, or 4) BYU could go with at times if it is needed.

BYU Basketball Adds New Zealand Native Guard To Upcoming Roster

His dad was good enough that they (Hawke's Bay of the National Basketball League) retired his number in March of 2017. Hawks honour Winitana by retiring his No 8 singlet at halftime tonight

nuk13
All-American

Re: BYU adds Paora Winitana to roster

Post by nuk13 »

If he plays point he would be the 2nd 6'6" man to play the position. Collinsworth did well there with his triple doubles, maybe this fellow will too.