Beautiful Ugly

BYU Cougars on the court.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Beautiful Ugly

Post by EM_Puma »

According to Greg Wrubell, that is how Mark Pope would describe wins like they had Saturday vs Pepperdine. It sure did feel ugly. I loved how one of the announcers stated at one point how he'd just love to see someone hit a basket--it had gotten so ugly.

My feeling in watching the game was that Pepperdine lost it on their own poor shooting and I wouldn't give a whole ton of support in the idea that it was BYU's defense that affected their percentage. It just seemed like one of those games where if the opponent hits the shots they were shooting at their average pace, we would have been in serious trouble.

Beautiful ugly for me only that we won.

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt

Re: Beautiful Ugly

Post by E-Zone15 »

EM_Puma wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:14 am

According to Greg Wrubell, that is how Mark Pope would describe wins like they had Saturday vs Pepperdine. It sure did feel ugly. I loved how one of the announcers stated at one point how he'd just love to see someone hit a basket--it had gotten so ugly.

My feeling in watching the game was that Pepperdine lost it on their own poor shooting and I wouldn't give a whole ton of support in the idea that it was BYU's defense that affected their percentage. It just seemed like one of those games where if the opponent hits the shots they were shooting at their average pace, we would have been in serious trouble.

Beautiful ugly for me only that we won.
But how often has Barcello went 0-7 and 0-5 from 3? It plays both ways, BYU's had a number of players with off nights (season average even counting last nights game): Barcello 0-7 (53.2%), Harding 0-2 (38.8%), Lohner 0-2 (40.3%), Johnson 0-1 (40.6%), George 2-7 (37.8%), Haarms 2-6 (55.9%), and Harward 2-5 (63.5%). It's a good thing BYU had 3 players shoot better than their average. Now look at Pepperdine Ross shot better than his season average (43.8% last night, season 43.2%) and scored more points than his average (21 vs 16.3). Their leading scorer is Edwards and he shot worse than his average (30.8% vs 49.4%) and scored less than his average (11 vs 18.3), but if you their top 2 together it pretty close (21+11= 32 vs 16.3+18.3= 34.6). Now if you add BYU top 2 scorers from last nights game their numbers don't look as good: Barcello 4 vs 15.1 (was 15.9 before the game) and Haarms 6 vs 11.5 (10 vs 26.6). So their star players came close to their average game and BYU's had a much rougher night. It's a good thing BYU has a lot more depth that can cover up a lot when players are having off nights.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

E-Zone15 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:26 pm It's a good thing BYU has a lot more depth that can cover up a lot when players are having off nights.
I remember back last decade when it seemed like our bench was as good or better than most of the other MWC teams. This year feels a little like that, but they are not as "seasoned" as that time.

I haven't abandoned ship or anything, but it was just a game that was a bit painful to watch. Harms being perfect the game before and then just lackluster, often missing close baskets. I love Harward, but the dude needs to work heavily on his foul shots. Getting fouled as much as he does under the basket and then only shooting 53% on his foul shots hurts. If he can get it up to the 70's at least.

GAKunkel
Recruit

Post by GAKunkel »

Pepperdine got good looks at the basket. They had open shots but they weren't falling. Wednesday will be tough.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

GAKunkel wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:16 am Pepperdine got good looks at the basket. They had open shots but they weren't falling. Wednesday will be tough.
Yes it will. Hard to beat a good team twice, and this time at Malibu.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

GAKunkel wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:16 am Pepperdine got good looks at the basket. They had open shots but they weren't falling. Wednesday will be tough.
Nailed it.

What a bummer of a game. As soon as I turned it on Pepperdine when on their run in the second half. BYU never recovered.

GAKunkel
Recruit

Post by GAKunkel »

BroncoBot wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:42 am
Nailed it.

What a bummer of a game. As soon as I turned it on Pepperdine when on their run in the second half. BYU never recovered.
Yeah...bummed by that loss. Looks like we are still tourney bound, but we can't really drop any games other than Gonzaga.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »