Impressed

BYU Cougars on the court.
jadesroom
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Impressed

Post by jadesroom »

Nice, well-balanced win against Utah. I was wondering when Johnson would find his rhythm. This was a good bounce-back from what I hope will be the most disappointing game of the year.

GAKunkel
Recruit

Re: Impressed

Post by GAKunkel »

Team was much better this game. Looked like a team. Looked like we had an offense and defense was aggressive.

Ball moved, into the post and out instead just around the outside.

I think Harward should be starting. Nice to see Harding score too.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

When your bench scores about as much as your starters, and your leading scorer scores only five, and you still win convincingly, that’s a good win.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

I've been both unimpressed and impressed so far this season. Pope brought in a TON of new players. I think that I mentioned before that I was worried about synergy. Early on Pope was playing way too many players often subbing people in and out after just a minute or two. I think Pope has found his best players. The minutes that we saw in the Utah game IMO should be what we seeing going forward taking into account a player going hot/cold and practicing good/bad.

Barcello - 33 minutes - could probably play more. He's our rock and I love his attitude
Johnson - 27 minutes - he won't shoot well every night, but his defense will keep him on the floor (although I don't think it's quite as good as the BYUTV announcers were making it out to be)
Harding - 26 minutes - I said before the season that I thought he COULD be the man to step up. Hasn't yet, at least not offensively. BYUTV said that his goal was to be the best defensive player in the WCC. That's great, but I want to see a little bit more offensive focus from him as well because I think he can.
Lohner - 22 minutes - personally I think too many minutes for a true freshman. I love his hustle, but he just looks lost out there.
Harwood - 20 minutes - give the BEAST some more minutes! He was not playing well at the beginning of the season, but the last game and half he has just been in beast mode. Very physical, I love it!
Haarms - 18 minutes - not a bad player, but over rated or over hyped maybe? Looks like a bean pole and not physical enough.
Lee - 18 minutes - If Haarms is not going to be physical and give it 100% give his minutes to Lee. The only player on the team that really knows how to set a screen.
Averette - 17 minutes - still think he's the best ball handler, but just doesn't seem like a team player. Goes for steals but misses too often.
Knell - 17 minutes - doesn't know what to do if he doesn't have a wide open 3. I would say less minutes, but which guard do we give them to?
George - 2 minutes - needs to earn more PT

I don't want to see the rest of the bench unless someone is injured or we are up/down by 20 points.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
GAKunkel
Recruit

Post by GAKunkel »

Barcello seems to be the only guy where it's like, keep that guy on the floor as much as possible. Everyone else are kind of inconsistent.

I think Averette should be getting more minutes. I agree he has the best handles on the team and at times holds onto the ball a bit too much, but he has the athleticism and skill set. Maybe he is still figuring out his role.

Johnson has been a pleasant surprise, but at the same time turns the ball over way too much. Don't make that guy dribble or pass. I think 27 minutes is generous for him.

Lohner is the best rebounder on the team, but the rest of his game is raw. I would 20 min is alright. I wouldn't mind seeing George get some of Lohner's minutes as I think George as more offense. Lohber hustles but gets beat on D a lot.

Harwood needs more minutes. If he can handle it he should be 25+.

Harding has been a bit of a disappointment but hopefully he shakes that off. If can do more of what he did against Utah, then I say give him some more minutes.

I think Lee needs more minutes. He has better offense than Haarms and is more physical. Unfortunately, I think Lee has been forcing things a bit in an effort to earn more minutes.

Haarms...well, he alters shots and gets some boards but I expected more from him. Unless he really ups his game, I would prefer to see Harward and Lee split time on the floor. Some stretches with two bigs might be nice to see. I don't see Haarms playing in the NBA.

Knell...I am not sure why this guy is on the floor. I would like to see Lowell or George get some of his minutes.