What games do we already know about?

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Schedule 2020-21

Post by scott715 »

https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2020/4/3 ... conference

Along with Arizona State, BYU has non-conference games with Utah, Utah State, UVU, Weber State, Boise State, and the Junkanoo Jam versus Boston College, Tulsa, and George Mason. BYU still has multiple slots to fill over the coming months.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

https://www.ducksports.com/sports/20191 ... vitational

Game against Oregon. Note this article is several months old.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

I tried to make a new topic but it kept saying I didn't have enough characters. So if you will excuse me I'll put it here.

Haarms will be one of the best centers in the nation with Pope improving his play. He'll have good back up too. With Gideon George and Conner Harding BYU may have 2 of the best wings in the country. Barcello will continue his play of last season. He can play point and off guard both. If Wade gets his wheels under him we will have few if any weaknesses.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

nuk13 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:10 pm I tried to make a new topic but it kept saying I didn't have enough characters. So if you will excuse me I'll put it here.

Haarms will be one of the best centers in the nation with Pope improving his play. He'll have good back up too. With Gideon George and Conner Harding BYU may have 2 of the best wings in the country. Barcello will continue his play of last season. He can play point and off guard both. If Wade gets his wheels under him we will have few if any weaknesses.
I'm laying down my marker -- Wyatt Lowell is going to be BYU's star next year at the 4.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I have yet to see him play. That would be wonderful. Hopefully, we have a couple newcomer stars this year.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

nuk13 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:10 pm I tried to make a new topic but it kept saying I didn't have enough characters. So if you will excuse me I'll put it here.

I like your optimism. I believe Pope can make the sum greater than the parts. However. While Haarms was generally considered the #1 grad transfer on the market that doesn't make him the #1 center overall in the nation. He'll definitely be a defensive presence as he averaged 4.1 blocks per 40 minutes last season. But don't expect Childs or Mika type offense out of him. Gideon George is VERY raw so I would not put him anywhere close to "one of the best wings in the country" category. Harding has potential. A 4* recruit that shot efficiently and played good defense last year. But he still really needs to step it up this coming season. Barcello is good not great and can only go right. Wade, yeah I don't know if we'll ever see him.

IMO we still need a very solid guard starter along Barcello and even some good backups for the 1/2 positions. I think we are looking very good for the positions 3-5, but I'm worried about the guard positions.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

scott715 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:41 pm I have yet to see him play. That would be wonderful. Hopefully, we have a couple newcomer stars this year.
Lowell was the #1 ranked PF in the West coming out of high school, went to UVU where Pope made him WAC freshman-of-the-year, and this coming season will be his THIRD season developing under Pope, and we've seen what Pope got out of Kolby Lee with just one season.