Best Case Scenario

BYU Cougars on the court.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Best Case Scenario

Post by Gunk »

Assuming we continue our current win streak and beat SMC and Gonzaga to win the WCC tourney, what seed do we get? Does Gonzaga get a higher seed?

I think if that happens we get a 3 seed as well as Gonzaga.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Best Case Scenario

Post by BroncoBot »

I'd agree. 3 is the ceiling for BYU and probably the floor for Gonzaga.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

I concur that a 3 seed is the top end and we should expect that if we win the WCC tournament, no matter which teams we end up playing. We expect it to be SMC/Gonzaga, but it could be someone else.

I just think all these brackets as of today projecting BYU as a 6 seed are out of line with reality and we're getting dis'd big time under that scenario.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

EM_Puma wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:39 pm I concur that a 3 seed is the top end and we should expect that if we win the WCC tournament, no matter which teams we end up playing. We expect it to be SMC/Gonzaga, but it could be someone else.

I just think all these brackets as of today projecting BYU as a 6 seed are out of line with reality and we're getting dis'd big time under that scenario.
Only Saint Mary's College and Gonzaga can give us the quality Quad1 wins that we would need to propel us to a 3 seed. I believe we're 3-4 in Quad1 games this year. We won't be a 3 seed if we only have 3 Quad1 wins.

The NET Rankings are about building your resume of quality wins, not about the rankings that the selection committee will follow.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

EM_Puma wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:39 pm I concur that a 3 seed is the top end and we should expect that if we win the WCC tournament, no matter which teams we end up playing. We expect it to be SMC/Gonzaga, but it could be someone else.

I was a little surprised BYU only moved to 15 in the polls this week with all the losses. Maybe only playing one game against a below average opponent factored in there.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

So Greg Wrubell tweets this yesterday

Today, Lunardi has BYU as a 5 seed in Tampa taking on E. Tennessee St. Winner plays Wisconsin (assuming of course that they beat 13 seed Stephen F. Austin) to make it to Sweet 16. Under that scenario, we'd have to beat #1 overall Kansas to make it to Elite 8.

At least we finally moved up a seed. It's been beyond me to understand how we could be ranked where we are in so many polls and only be pulling a 6 seed.
Last edited by EM_Puma on Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

As a 5 seed, you play the 4 if you win your first game, so to me, being a 4 or 5 seed is about the same, just playing a seed that is a seed higher, but I don't know that playing a 13, as opposed to a 12 is that magically different.

I just looked at the history over the last 35 years and:
12 seeds have won 37.5% of the time
13 seeds have won 21 % of the time

So, there is a bit of a difference being a 4 seed and playing a 13 seed. Let's hope for a win in the semi-final vs hopefully a Quad 1 opponent like SMC, and maybe, even if we lose to the Zags, we might possibly make it to a 4. A lot will depend too on not only what BYU does in their tournament, but what the teams with lower seeds do in theirs. Everybody wins and there's not much movement to be made.
Last edited by EM_Puma on Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I am looking for the WCC to do some damage in the NCAAs.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

SOS declines could be upset experienced by Houston. Thankfully USU pulled it out at the end. I thought they were going down vs. New Mexico. It's amazing how all this gets you to pull for other teams. Boise beat UNLV, so I'm not certain what affect that had as we lost to BSU in OT, but beat UNLV.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

We're hovering around the same area. No big changes, which is what I would expect. A point drop or raise here and there should be fine.

Assuming we play and beat both SMC and Gonzaga in the WCC tourney, I suspect our ratings will only go up a point or two. There just isn't that much room left. Beating those teams will give us more swagger and recognition heading into selection Sunday.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel