New Transfer Policy

BYU Cougars on the court.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

New Transfer Policy

Post by byufan4ever »

I haven't seen this posted or really discussed around here. And this could have easily been posted in the football section but I'm a basketball guy and it's basketball season so I'll post it here.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... tting-out/

The NCAA is taking steps to change their transfer policy so that the first time a player transfers he/she doesn't have to sit out a year. This would apply to all sporsts.
Student-athletes across all sports would be able to transfer once as undergraduates without sitting out a year in residence so long as they: (a) receive a transfer release from their previous school, (b) leave their previous school academically eligible, (c) maintain their academic progress at the new school and (d) depart under no disciplinary suspension.
It could be approved as soon as April. The Big 10 and ACC are on board. However, not everybody likes it.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/02/19/n ... s-concerns
In fact, coaches have shown “unanimous” opposition to the idea at AFCA conventions for the last three years. And there are three main reasons why, Berry outlines: (1) the freedom to transfer and play immediately could lead to quick, rash decisions players eventually regret; (2) transfers, according to NCAA data, are less likely to graduate than non-transfers; (3) and as Richt points out in his tweet, this proposal pushes college football closer to a free agency, with coaches poaching from one another’s rosters even more than they already do.
Personally, I think it's a great thing. Concern #1 is laughable. Coaches are afraid to give student athletes freedom because they may make rash decisions. LOL. So coaches always know best, huh? #2 may be a legit concern. But as #3 shows these coaches aren't really concerned about the students welfare and earning their degrees. They're conerned about losing precious talent that they treat more like capital and less like human beings.

And I suspect that this will only benefit non-power schools like BYU. Yes, we may be able to poach some student atheletes that weren't getting playing time at a bigger school. Now, they'll be able to come and play right away instead of having to sit out a year. Let freedom ring!

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: New Transfer Policy

Post by hawkwing »

Let them transfer!