GU game

BYU Cougars on the court.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: GU game

Post by BroncoBot »

BYU wins - Should be a huge boost to the resume.
Kansas wins, which should buffer the SDSU loss a little.

I also wasn't a fan of Rose leaving. But Pope has made all the right moves so far it seems. He's losing a lot of talent in the next 6 or so weeks.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

SDSU lost to UNLV. We played both teams so it lessens the damage to our ratings. I heard our KenPom moved up to 17 from 22. NET is 14. What will our ranking be on Monday? We will be ranked in both polls.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

A little TIC, but I'm extremely worried that the whole world is going to discover Mark Pope and fall in love with him. That interview post game with the ESPN Sports Center desk, like when does that ever happen, but they were loving him. Jim Rome loved him this week. It's going to be very hard to keep him out of the contention for any big job that comes along. I guess we just love the time he's here.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Game stats
Attachments
Gonzaga-22 Feb 2020.JPG

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

BroncoBot wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:42 am BYU wins - Should be a huge boost to the resume.
Kansas wins, which should buffer the SDSU loss a little.

I also wasn't a fan of Rose leaving. But Pope has made all the right moves so far it seems. He's losing a lot of talent in the next 6 or so weeks.
I think Pope realizes this more than anyone, which is why he is going all in on this season. Not only is it his first season, but it will be a couple years till he has as talented a team. Also, he makes some noise and gets to the Sweet 16 now, that will only help with recruiting.

The player landscape is different. The NCAA will more than likely loosen transferring rules. Players with professional ability are leaving earlier. Players want to win and they want to win now, they don't want to commit to a coach or system that will take 2 - 3 years to get humming. To be successful, Pope needs to win now.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

I think Gavin Baxter is waking up. The timing is just about right to get him going, especially with the situation with Dalton Nixon, but Gavin wasn't just a man to guard the rim last night.

Honestly, I don't know that I have ever seen as much defensive hustle as I saw last night. We just need to keep the foot on the pedal and not let up.

It looks, over the last 2 weeks too that SMC is getting back in the game. I don't think, in our time in the WCC that we've ever really seen 3 teams going to the conference tournament that really look like they could win it. I'm not saying Gonzaga still isn't the heavy favorite, but this is definitely different.
Last edited by EM_Puma on Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

In the post game interview, Coach Pope called Coach Few the best coach in the country and Gozaga the best team in the country. I think that is a correct assessment. I think that puts BYU in the top 10 and Coach Pope as one of the 10 best coaches in the nation. The WCC tournament is going to be interesting. Another thing, the WCC should be moving up in the conference standings. It's more than BYU, Gonzaga and St. Marys now.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

We are the 9th ranked conference. We need to do some damage in the NCAAs.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

The Zags have to love how BYU has elevated the level of play in the WCC and brought more TV exposure through BYUtv, but generally they have to hate the fact that twice we have denied them the #1 ranking.

Gonzaga was ranked #1 that day in Feb 2017 when we ended their perfect season with a win in Spokane 79-71, and had we not beaten them Saturday, they probably again would have been #1(Kansas might have still jumped them, BUT WE'LL NEVER KNOW WILL WE?) as Baylor had fallen as the #1 ranked team.