BYU vs Santa Clara

BYU Cougars on the court.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU vs Santa Clara

Post by frdbtr »

EM_Puma wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:54 pm I find it hard to believe that a Mark Pope team would really look past the current team they faced on the schedule. He's better than that.

Now, to explain what the heck went down tonight...(the sound of crickets) :gross:
May not have been from the coaching staff but IMO the players have Gonzaga on the brain. It just doesn't make sense that they would have looked so flat the last 2 games when they have looked pretty focused for the entire WCC schedule. BTW, I do understand you are being kind of TIC with your comment. :)

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

I missed the 2nd half! Had to stop watching the game half way through and apparently the dvr wasn't set right. Looks like I missed a tight one.

Four minutes in we only had 4 points. From the get go it was an odd game. I hope it was because we were looking ahead because we have looked flat.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

Gunk wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:14 am I missed the 2nd half! Had to stop watching the game half way through and apparently the dvr wasn't set right. Looks like I missed a tight one.

Four minutes in we only had 4 points. From the get go it was an odd game. I hope it was because we were looking ahead because we have looked flat.
Sorry on that one. For the first time in a long time I was watching the game in real time. I watched the 1st half only to the 10:09 mark when we were up 19 to 8. I just hate the anxiety of it any more. I have no idea if that's part of getting old or just part of knowing you can control it and let the game go on DVRing it and come back to it. Maybe a bit of both, but I switched to some National Geographic documentaries to try to get my mind off the game and kept my phone with me and I'd check the score on the ESPN ap.

I was a little uneasy that the score had lowered down to one time 7 point lead, but it was back to 10 at half, but I was still uneasy.

Then the 2nd half started and wow, Santa Clara stormed back. At that point my adult son, my youngest son, who lives at home, said that same thing that BYU games cause him such anxiety. He said it seems like BYU often plays down to the level of their competition. It was hard to argue after the last game with San Diego, but I pointed out to him a lot of the games we cruised through this season.

I turned the game back live with 1:17 left and BYU up 81-69. I was confident it was in the bag.

Still, when you look at the stats, Santa Clara took us totally out of the game that had gotten us to this point in our season of being a ranked and dangerous team. We won this game totally without the 3 ball and on the foul line with drives to the bucket. It felt like the kind of win BYU used to have and not the 2019-2020 version of the team. San Diego didn't double down on Yoeli. It's like the recipe that teams have discovered give them the best opportunity to beat us and you can bet your "sweet bippy" (I'd love to know how many of you know and remember that phrase) that Gonzaga will use the same scheme. We have to somehow get our 3 ball game back to beat Gonzaga, especially being short of Dalton.

I'm more worried about Pepperdine next week, as it really doesn't matter if we lose Saturday. I believe we're in the Big Dance either way, but we'll suffer with a worse seed. Come on Cougs

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

Total game stats. Surprised the attendance ended up only in the 12K range. I thought we'd surely be at 15K at least the way people were listing tickets on KSL classified. Wow, I've seen some real crazy prices for Gonzaga tickets for Saturday. Maybe they're not crazy, but $400/seat for the game seem crazy to me unless you're made of money.
Attachments
BYU vs Santa Clara-20 Feb 2020.JPG

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

The last two games we have struggle which were without Dalton Nixon. I think that is the problem and not the team looking ahead. Baxter does not have the same rotation and flow (note he is not getting that many minutes yet).

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

TJ scored or assisted on 23 of BYU's last 27 points. The dude was huge last night.

TIME PLAY SCORE
8:38 Yoeli Childs made Free Throw.
57 - 58
8:09 TJ Haws made Jumper. 57 - 60
7:40 TJ Haws made Jumper. 60 - 62
5:55 Connor Harding made Layup. 64 - 66
5:12 Jake Toolson made Layup. Assisted by TJ Haws. 66 - 68
4:38 TJ Haws made Free Throw. 66 - 69
4:38 TJ Haws made Free Throw. 66 - 70
3:27 TJ Haws made Free Throw. 66 - 71
3:27 TJ Haws made Free Throw. 66 - 72
2:55 Connor Harding made Layup. Assisted by TJ Haws. 67 - 74