BYU Cougars on the court.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Pepperdine

Post by Gunk »

Good bounce back by the Cougs today.

Tied the school record for most threes in a game at 17. Passing and shooting was a thing of beauty.

Also a thing of beauty, seeing Kolby Ross on Pepperdine spend a good portion of the game on the bench.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Pepperdine

Post by nuk13 »

Thanks Gunk. We"re not getting enough on basketball. I would like to know who did what.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

Toolson 7/10 on 3s. The game got exciting late when TJ got pushed to the ground. A little bit of acting on his part. A T on Pepperdine but no flagarant.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Geez Gunk, you're slipping in your old age. You forgot to mention that all five starters were in double figures AGAIN! Six in total.
Pepperdine-30 Jan 20.JPG

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

byufan4ever wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:26 am The game got exciting late when TJ got pushed to the ground. A little bit of acting on his part. A T on Pepperdine but no flagarant.
I think it's one of those things that is in the eyes of the beholder.

The Pepperdine player roughly grabs TJ purposely from behind as TJ gets an offensive rebound and goes up directly in front of the basket, as he knows he'll score. TJ gets a bit miffed and steps up to him and the dude puts his hand on his upper chest and pushed TJ really hard. Did he flop back? To me, it's hard to say. He pushed him hard enough that if TJ wasn't expecting it, then yes, physics says he's going to fall backwards.

I think what comes into play are two issues. One, the commentators believed it was somewhat of a flop, and two, TJ is savvy enough to know when to flop. Still, it happened so fast and TJ had kind of jumped up mad from being mugged and the Pepperdine guy did forcefully push him back hard, so I can see that it could have been legitimate, and he actually fell back from the push. You'd have to ask TJ, but solely based on what I saw in real time, I do think he pushed him down. Just my view on it.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

EM_Puma wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:37 am
byufan4ever wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:26 am The game got exciting late when TJ got pushed to the ground. A little bit of acting on his part. A T on Pepperdine but no flagarant.
I think it's one of those things that is in the eyes of the beholder.

The Pepperdine player roughly grabs TJ purposely from behind as TJ gets an offensive rebound and goes up directly in front of the basket, as he knows he'll score. TJ gets a bit miffed and steps up to him and the dude puts his hand on his upper chest and pushed TJ really hard. Did he flop back? To me, it's hard to say. He pushed him hard enough that if TJ wasn't expecting it, then yes, physics says he's going to fall backwards.

I think what comes into play are two issues. One, the commentators believed it was somewhat of a flop, and two, TJ is savvy enough to know when to flop. Still, it happened so fast and TJ had kind of jumped up mad from being mugged and the Pepperdine guy did forcefully push him back hard, so I can see that it could have been legitimate, and he actually fell back from the push. You'd have to ask TJ, but solely based on what I saw in real time, I do think he pushed him down. Just my view on it.
After the whistle for the foul and before the push, it looks like TJ initiated some light contact with the Pepperdine player, probably just to get him off of him, but who knows. But it was only a split second of contact and then the Pepperdine player clearly pushed TJ with two hands after the whislte. TJ even did the whole slide on your butt thing you do when you fall when purposely taking an offensive foul. If he truly had been caught off guard and fell accidently I think he lands differently.

In the end I think, gasp, the refs got it right.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

EM_Puma wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:18 am Geez Gunk, you're slipping in your old age. You forgot to mention that all five starters were in double figures AGAIN! Six in total.
Pepperdine-30 Jan 20.JPG
Thanks EM. Toolson is earning his keep. I like how there were 6 in double figures. I'm going to see if You tube has highlights.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

EM_Puma wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:18 am Geez Gunk, you're slipping in your old age. You forgot to mention that all five starters were in double figures AGAIN! Six in total.
Pepperdine-30 Jan 20.JPG
I am slipping.

I remember the days when I would spend hours analyzing things like points per minute, etc. Now, I'm like,"Look! We won!"

Seriously, though, 6 games is a feat, at least compared to where BYU has been recently.

Toolson is on fire. It looks like he's figures himself out on this team. TJ was masterful when his ball distributing. Going to miss both those guys.

I will say, I loved seeing how fires up Childs got when TJ was pushed. That was awesome. Personally, it looked to me like TJ got a bit chippy with the Pepperdine guy as their arms were locked up. Pepperdine player pushed TJ mid stride. Hard to keep your balance with one foot on the ground. I don't think TJ flopped.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

He was moving forward and then got pushed back with one leg in the air. Not a flop but did land the right way.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I don't disagree that he got pushed and the momentum pushed him back. Maybe he could have avoided falling down. Maybe not. But he definitely embellished the fall with the slide. He wasn't even that upset when he got up. If he had truly been pushed super hard and fell on his bottom hard I think he comes up angry ready to fight. Instead he was calming down Yo likely telling him that it wasn't really that bad.

100% he got pushed. He just helped to sell it. I don't consider that a flop. A good senior play, right?