Pope

BYU Cougars on the court.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Pope

Post by BoiseBYU »

I know it is still early, but I think Holmoe hit a home run with Pope. Losing Baxter and then having Yoeli for less than half the games and yet seeing how competitively good they are is remarkable. Defense is improved. Shooting is improved. I’m quite impressed.

nuk13
All-American

Re: Pope

Post by nuk13 »

I wonder if he'd help out in football.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

I had reservations. I'm a fan. Been a while since I felt every game was winnable. Even going up against Kansas, I was like, given how they are hustling, we could win this thing.

The effort Pope has these guys playing at is amazing. Again, look at a guy like Seljaas. Completely different player under Pope. Nixon...look how much we're getting out of Nixon. It's fun.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Defense has definitely improved. When Rose first started as HC at BYU, his forte was defense and then all of a sudden no one at BYU played it at all. Nice to see it back.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

I'm really liking him too and his interviews before/after the game are fun to listen to while I'm driving to/from the games. Now, let's hope he can continue this after the honeymoon phase is over and he can bring in some good recruiting classes.

And I know every team has to deal with injuries, but dang, if we had Baxter and Childs from day 1 we really "could" be undefeated...

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

byufan4ever wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:50 am I'm really liking him too and his interviews before/after the game are fun to listen to while I'm driving to/from the games. Now, let's hope he can continue this after the honeymoon phase is over and he can bring in some good recruiting classes.

And I know every team has to deal with injuries, but dang, if we had Baxter and Childs from day 1 we really "could" be undefeated...
Recruiting has to improve. A lot of kids will want to play for Pope.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

nuk13 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:14 am
byufan4ever wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:50 am I'm really liking him too and his interviews before/after the game are fun to listen to while I'm driving to/from the games. Now, let's hope he can continue this after the honeymoon phase is over and he can bring in some good recruiting classes.

Recruiting has to improve. A lot of kids will want to play for Pope.
No way would Rose had been able to keep Childs. Recruiting will go up and transfers will decrease. Players will also stay longer.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

I’ve been very impressed so far. The energy and vibe Pope and his staff provide is palpable. It will be interesting to see if the effort and quality play continue night in, night out throughout conference play. It is so hard to do in basketball, and this season it is being manifest nationally on an almost nightly basis. An unexpected “bad loss” is almost a given at some point in time. I sure hope that won’t be the case with this team. It will be very interesting to see how competitive this team will be Saturday night at Gonzaga.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Ok. I'm ready to give pope a max contract.

Wasn't sure about the hire. BYU is looking 100% better this year.

Kolby lee could be our best true big in a generation if he continues to progress as he has this year.

The energy is there.

BYU bball is fun again.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

BroncoBot wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:28 pm Ok. I'm ready to give pope a max contract.

Wasn't sure about the hire. BYU is looking 100% better this year.

Kolby lee could be our best true big in a generation if he continues to progress as he has this year.

The energy is there.

BYU bball is fun again.
First, what do you mean by max contract, lol? Second, hold your horses. I too like what I see SO FAR. But let's get a complete season under his belt, shall we? Let's see where we end up in the conference standings and what kind of class he actualy brings in before we start declaring him the GOAT coach (not your exact words).

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins