BYU Cougars on the court.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Nevada

Post by Gunk »

Another blowout.

Defense was on point. Thing is we didn't shoot the ball very well. If we shot like we did it would have been a 40+ point blow out.

Love the intensity the team is bringing to the court.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
ABYUFAN
Pro

Re: Nevada

Post by ABYUFAN »

I worked late and had to catch the game call on the radio. I couldn't tell from the radio whether BYU's defense was that good or Nevada had that off of a night shooting. Hopefully it was BYU's good defense, because if not that was a lucky win.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

It was good to stick it to their coach. It looked like early in the game when Toolson hit a 3 he said something either to the Nevada bench or coaches. He's gotta watch it or he's gonna get a T. Also, Childs was getting visably upset with the refs after almost every position in the first half with what he perceived were no-calls. Nevada's game plan was just to swarm him and he should have just kept passing the ball instead of forcing his shots and trying to get his points (which he was doing at first but then got away from it).

I loved our defense too, but Nevada was also just ice cold. I don't recall the last time I saw so many air balls. We were having a good time laughing at Nevada's expense at the game!

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

We're still coming together, but it's almost as fun watching them now as the Jimmer years. The 3-pt shooting had to improve and finally we have a coach that apparently has the ability to get his team to improve. BYU through the last decades always had good shooters for 3-pt and foul shots, but in the last 4-5, that disappeared some and it began to have me question Rose's ability to coach effectively. There just felt like something was missing and it feels like that piece is back again.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Utah State will be a good barometer on where we've evolved this season and how serious of a threat we can be in the WCC.

YNot
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by YNot »

Excellent team defense last night. Great rotation. Very few open shots. Team rebounding.

I do think Nevada had an off night, but most most shots were contested and they couldn't do anything inside. Nevada was averaging about 80 points per game...they scored 42.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

No question Nevada was cold, but we didn't let them get into a rythem. Most shots were contested.

We continue on this trajectory and we will be very dangerous. Double up on Childs and Haws, Toolson, Barcello, or Harding are waiting to knock a three down.

With Childs, Haws, and Toolson on the court, teams can't guard all three. Lee, Nixon, Barcello, Harding, and even Seljaas can all score the ball. There isn't a player on this team that can't or won't score the ball. It's not like Rose's teams of recent years where there was always a guy on offense that a team could ditch. Leave your man to double on Haws, Toolson, or Childs and there is an able bodied player waiting to be fed.

We had five guys is double figures last night. Five! When was the last time we saw that? And two guys in double figures in rebounding.

Utah St. is favored. ESPN gives us a 43% chance to win the game. I like our odds. I think we can pull it off.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Gunk wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:07 am We had five guys is double figures last night. Five! When was the last time we saw that?
How about a few games ago against VA Tech. ALL five starters were in double figures and we had one off the bench for six in total and Yoeli wasn't even playing yet.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

EM_Puma wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:45 pm
Gunk wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:07 am We had five guys is double figures last night. Five! When was the last time we saw that?
How about a few games ago against VA Tech. ALL five starters were in double figures and we had one off the bench for six in total and Yoeli wasn't even playing yet.
When was the last time we had two games within a month with five guys in double figures!

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Well something did happen last night that hasn't happened before. Lat night marked the 5th consecutive game of 10 or more 3-pointers. It's a new school record.

We've gone from near abysmal three point shooting to record breaking levels.