White smoke seen coming from the Marriott Center - Pope named

BYU Cougars on the court.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: White smoke seen coming from the Marriott Center - Pope named

Post by frdbtr »

I'm not excited nor disappointed with this hire. If he were to somehow talk Childs out of leaving, I would be very excited though.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

Can anyone remind me of the non-Quincy Lewis assistants under Dave Rose?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

vancouvercougar wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:18 am The other WCC schools will have the catholic students but BYU will have the Pope.
It has a nice symmetry

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Mars wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:08 am Can anyone remind me of the non-Quincy Lewis assistants under Dave Rose?
Lee Cummard and Tim LaComb.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I know nothing about Pope's UVU assistants, maybe they are all awesome, but I hope he at least does his due diligence to look at other potential assistants to get the very best that he can for BYU.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I wonder if UVU will pursue Quincy Lewis.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

SpiffCoug wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:35 am I wonder if UVU will pursue Quincy Lewis.
Local media is already listing him as a potential target. If I were Lewis, I'd be hounding UVU for the opportunity. It really is a great opportunity for an individual who has not yet been a head coach, especially since it is Div 1.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

byufan4ever wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:23 am I know nothing about Pope's UVU assistants, maybe they are all awesome, but I hope he at least does his due diligence to look at other potential assistants to get the very best that he can for BYU.
Interesting comment. Not sure if it's expressing more the frustration most of us fans feel about BYU MBB these last years, but honestly, it seems pretty obvious that he understands how important it is to have the right people around him to be successful. I don't believe he'd jeopardize in the least bit this opportunity by simply hiring people around him that he felt he "owed". He'll get the best he can as he said he's been working on assistants all week, which means he's been on-board now for over a week that he was going to be taking over.

BYU did really well this time at keeping their hand close to their chests considering that he said he spent 12-15 hours over the last week with Brian Santiago working through this whole process.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

EM_Puma wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:55 am
byufan4ever wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:23 am I know nothing about Pope's UVU assistants, maybe they are all awesome, but I hope he at least does his due diligence to look at other potential assistants to get the very best that he can for BYU.
Interesting comment. Not sure if it's expressing more the frustration most of us fans feel about BYU MBB these last years, but honestly, it seems pretty obvious that he understands how important it is to have the right people around him to be successful. I don't believe he'd jeopardize in the least bit this opportunity by simply hiring people around him that he felt he "owed". He'll get the best he can as he said he's been working on assistants all week, which means he's been on-board now for over a week that he was going to be taking over.

BYU did really well this time at keeping their hand close to their chests considering that he said he spent 12-15 hours over the last week with Brian Santiago working through this whole process.
Well, Pope's entire UVU staff was in the building, but in a different room. Burgess was in the press room so that makes me think he's on the new staff. But why would he have even brought his entire staff with him onto BYU campus?

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

byufan4ever wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:09 amWell, Pope's entire UVU staff was in the building, but in a different room. Burgess was in the press room so that makes me think he's on the new staff. But why would he have even brought his entire staff with him onto BYU campus?
When he mentioned in the presser that they were all there, I thought it to be rather unusual, unless they were coming on board. I understand you support your mentor, but if he hadn't said anything to them about an opportunity at BYU, they'd be a weird bunch of ducks to go to the presser of someone who didn't think you worthy to continue on with them.