Final Four Candidates

BYU Cougars on the court.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Final Four Candidates

Post by byufan4ever »

How do fans feel about how committed to BYU a coach should be? Would you rather take:

Coach A that gets us to the NCAA tournament in year 2 and the Sweet 16 in year 3 and then is gone to a bigger job
Coach B that gets us to the tournament in year 4 and wins a total of two tournament games over next 10 years, but bleeds blue and this is his dream job

From what I've heard BYU is not the final destination spot for either Madsen or Pope. I have no idea bout Peery or Lewis.

Personally I'd take Coach A. Yeah, we'd be searching for a coach again real soon but I'll take great > good. I would not hold it against someone if they had high aspirations and wanted to further their career.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Coach A no doubt to get a return to prominence. Then we can find a coach who can take it from there.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

byufan4ever wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:05 pm How do fans feel about how committed to BYU a coach should be? Would you rather take:

Coach A that gets us to the NCAA tournament in year 2 and the Sweet 16 in year 3 and then is gone to a bigger job
Coach B that gets us to the tournament in year 4 and wins a total of two tournament games over next 10 years, but bleeds blue and this is his dream job

From what I've heard BYU is not the final destination spot for either Madsen or Pope. I have no idea bout Peery or Lewis.

Personally I'd take Coach A. Yeah, we'd be searching for a coach again real soon but I'll take great > good. I would not hold it against someone if they had high aspirations and wanted to further their career.
Not real hard to pick from those two scenarios. Coach A hands down, but I'd accept Coach A.2 that lands somewhere between the two.

Hopefully we'll know this week, but it seems like every time I try to think logically of the potential outcomes at BYU, I'm seldom correct.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

I had seen someone mention yesterday that Mark Pope was taking the Nevada job. I had even missed that Nevada's HC had gone to Arkansas. I went on line to Reno newspaper and they didn't even have Mark Pope listed as one of the potential candidates. Riding around at lunch time today and sport radio program individual (It was someone at 1280) says he believes Pope has both an offer from BYU and Nevada and he's trying to make the decision.

That goes to show that we're all guessing.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I'm beginning to wonder if the two Marks are outside of BYU's price range right now.

Barrett Peery as the affordable choice?

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:51 pm I'm beginning to wonder if the two Marks are outside of BYU's price range right now.

I'd find it hard to believe Pope is outside of BYU's price range.

Was very surprised today to see Jay Drew's article where he spoke to the 3 BYU recruits (have signed NLI) and 2 (Hansen & DaSilva) both mentioned they'd like to have Quincy Lewis (DaSilva mentioned Pope as well). Lewis hasn't been high on the lists around here as much as the two Marks, but that does raise his stock a slight bit. While I'm typing this I see Tim Capstraw (Brooklyn Nets Radio Analyst) saying we ought to hire Lewis as well. Not sure where he had exposure to Quincy, but he must have.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-couga ... ave-roses/

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

EM_Puma wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:05 pmI'd find it hard to believe Pope is outside of BYU's price range.
Pope is currently making $1.275 Million a year at UVU in base salary--right around what BYU is paying Kalani Sitake, and a good bit more than what Rose was pulling in.

jadesroom
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by jadesroom »

EM_Puma wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:05 pm
snoscythe wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:51 pm I'm beginning to wonder if the two Marks are outside of BYU's price range right now.

... I see Tim Capstraw (Brooklyn Nets Radio Analyst) saying we ought to hire Lewis as well. Not sure where he had exposure to Quincy, but he must have.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-couga ... ave-roses/
If I heard correctly, Capstraw was radio play-by-play man when Quincy played at Wagner.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:09 pm
EM_Puma wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:05 pmI'd find it hard to believe Pope is outside of BYU's price range.
Pope is currently making $1.275 Million a year at UVU in base salary--right around what BYU is paying Kalani Sitake, and a good bit more than what Rose was pulling in.
I see how you could have been confused with that article in SLTrib, but it said, "Utah Valley University will pay head basketball coach Mark Pope a base salary of $1.275 million over the course of his new six-year contract."

It goes on to say, "Pope’s salary begins at $200,000 next season and it will increase by $5,000 each year of the deal. The coach will also receive $25,000 annually for his media obligations and an annual retention bonus of $25,000."

200K + 205K +210K + 215K + 220K +225K = $1.275 million base over 6 years.

So that's a base he'll get over the next 6 years, not each year. Heck ya, to be making $1.275/year with none of the BYUish hassles (Honor Code, etc), then for certain he should stay at UVU, but that's not what he'll be receiving annually. Lot of incentive clauses as well.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2018/06/1 ... 2-million/
Last edited by EM_Puma on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

To put some perspective into the salary conversation, I was looking over in Nevada sports sites to see if Pope is mentioned today as a potential replacement, as he wasn't yesterday, and I saw this tidbit about Nevada's former coach (Musselman) who just left for Arkansas last Sunday.

"The Wolf Pack paid only $650,000 annually with $350,000 coming from donors [to Musselman, so he was making a cool million]. Are the donors willing to pony up that kind of change for this coaching hire? That's a big question. Nevada has never paid more than $650,000 annually in guaranteed money for a head coach..."

So Pope's contract at UVU is paltry to what is probably available. The author of the article, Chris Murray, posted a list of his top-25 candidates to replace Eric Musselman, and even in that large scope he didn't list Mark Pope.

Here's the link for his list of 25 and none of them were on BYU's radar that I'm aware. Jay Drew was on ESPN960 this late afternoon and said he was told unofficially that BYU had spoken to 8 individuals, so I'm not certain who all of those 8 would be. Funny to me that as I noted, Hans Olsen from 1280AM believed that Pope probably already had an offer from both BYU AND Nevada in hand despite no one from over that way even mentioning his name. Funny too that he's not on the list, but Weber State's Randy Rahe is.

http://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporte ... head-coach