Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Who is the new coach?

Post by Brayden Green »

snoscythe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:07 am
Brayden Green wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:00 am
BYU is in the conversation [for the NCAA tourney] every year
......except this year and the year before.
Their two worst years. Yep. They dont lose 3 out of their last 4 and place 2nd in the WCC they would have been.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Brayden Green wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:05 am
Their two worst years. Yep. They dont lose 3 out of their last 4 and place 2nd in the WCC they would have been.
So, you're saying that if things were different,

things would be different?

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Mars wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:05 am68
Right. 68.

BYU should be a top 68 team every year. That's not an unreasonable expectation.

Since joining the WCC, we have made it to the finals of the WCC tournament just three times. Forget about winning it. We can barely even get to the finals.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
coachK
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by coachK »

not to nitpick, but if you are the 68th best team in the country you are going to the NIT. To be in the NCAA tournament you have to be one of the top 44-48 teams or win your conference tourney, which if BYU did, they would probably be at least the 44th best team in the country. The last teams in end up as an 11 or 12 seed.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

snoscythe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:18 am
Brayden Green wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:05 am
things would be different?
Ha, yep. I'm saying there was a strong chance early, and BYU was a maybe up until the last couple games when it was a definite no.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

149 schools have made the tournament since BYU has made the NCAA tournament.
108 schools have won a game in the tournament since BYU has won one.
52 schools have made the Sweet 16 since BYU made the Sweet 16.
117 schools have at least 1 Sweet 16 since the tournament expanded to 64 teams in 1985.
74 schools have made it to the Elite 8 since 1985. It could be 76 if Virginia Tech and Houston win this weekend. BYU has zero since '85. 77 schools have made the Elite 8 since BYU reached the Elite 8.
88 schools have made the final four. 43 from '85-'18. BYU has zero.

Of coaches active in 2019, Rose's win pct. in the NCAA tournament ties him for 50th among coaches who have coached at least 10 tournament games. Rose has the 47th best win pct. all time in basketball history.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

What's the consensus. rose on the decline, or BYU in a mini slump?
Obviously Rose knows basketball, was a winning coach, is in a tough spot to recruit but he knows BYU well. Hard for me to believe BYU will find a coach at least on par with Rose without some major growing pains.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

BroncoBot wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:09 pm What's the consensus. rose on the decline, or BYU in a mini slump?
Obviously Rose knows basketball, was a winning coach, is in a tough spot to recruit but he knows BYU well. Hard for me to believe BYU will find a coach at least on par with Rose without some major growing pains.
Just my opinion but I don't think Rose was ever happy in the WCC. The team just never had the same fire that it had in the MWC. Look at the home losses in conference. Rose simply didn't lose at home the first few years he was the HC. He only lost a couple home games in the MWC the entire time he coached there. He lost more home games in 1 season in the WCC than he did in years of playing in the MWC. IMO, it was time for him to retire. I am glad he left with dignity, he is still the best HC BYU has ever had and should be honored as such. I hope the next guy can get the fire back into BYU basketball and do in the WCC what Rose did in the MWC when he still had that fire. Like we have seen in football though, it may take some tough years to find the right guy, I hope it isn't too painful.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

So a week has passed and still no new coach. That's not totally unusual, but it does now lend credence to my belief that for Mark Pope, the decision to become the head coach at BYU is not a slam dunk as I might have imagined.

Mark Pope is my first choice, but I'm wondering now, in hearing a weeks worth of interviews on the subject, if it is wise to select someone who could be here and gone in a few years.

At BYU, we've generally not ever seen that in our major two sports and one of the arguments as to why BYU hasn't gone the route of tapping coaches with experience at the level of Division 1. It seems like that can work at Division 1 without the added pressure of BYU's grades and honor code. We've seen Puketah and USU have turnover in one of the two programs and still have success. They have RMs to deal with, howbeit not at the number level of BYU, but enough to be disruptive. I just have not heard much to make me believe that Coach Pope, if he does take the helm at BYU would be here as long term as those in the past, unless he flounders.

In Pope's current situation, he has a good core of returning players, some above average recruits and transfers coming in, and possibly a less stressful opportunity to make it to the dance. With his resume thus far of exposure to high level teams and NBA, throw bringing UVU to go successive trips to the Dance, then he is writing his ticket to opportunities at a higher level of gig. I don't know if he will ever make it back to Kentucky as many seem to believe is his dream job, but I think he has a better opportunity to do that at UVU and having to dog it out in the WAC to make it to the Dance than BYU in the WCC.

The only thing that I perceive could turn Pope's head is the money. Definitely more at BYU than at UVU, but if your objective is to reach the level of coaching at somewhere like Kentucky, I believe he could get there easier via UVU than BYU. Just my opinion.