Dave Rose

BYU Cougars on the court.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Dave Rose

Post by snoscythe »

Gunk wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:36 am There are a few rumors out there that Rose is done.
I've been seeing those bouncing around Twitter this morning. Waiting for someone credible to confirm. Maybe he'll announce at the Utah County Cougar Club lunch today in front of a friendly audience?

At least no one is backtracking yet like Dave McCann was last night after tweeting that his nephew got a mission call saying "it is anticipated you will server for 12 to 24 months".

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Dave Rose was a top 25 coach in the top half of his career. I have disagreed with his decisions over the years (Cusick over Carlino still gets to me).

I think we had great talent with Pope and Rice, and they meant a lot to the program. Rose was a top 25 coach, I dont see it now.

I think Holmoe needs to go, our scheduling has been horrible in basketball the last 5 years, and in my opinion the nail in the coffin was that 4 week roadtrip midseason where we lost a TON of games and played quality teams on the road at their impossibly hard to win at gyms. That was a make it or break it strategy, and it broke the Cougars. They were playing good basketball before then, and they eventually played good basketball down the stretch, but I think that stretch of losses was transformative for the program and I dont see many people holding Holmoes get to the fire.

I'm 50/50 on Rose. He has done a lot of good for the program, but it might be time for fresh blood and a new strategy of we can get the right guy. Im not convinced he exists, but we'll see.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

Brayden Green wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:13 pm
I think Holmoe needs to go, our scheduling has been horrible in basketball the last 5 years, and in my opinion the nail in the coffin was that 4 week roadtrip midseason where we lost a TON of games and played quality teams on the road at their impossibly hard to win at gyms. That was a make it or break it strategy, and it broke the Cougars. They were playing good basketball before then, and they eventually played good basketball down the stretch, but I think that stretch of losses was transformative for the program and I dont see many people holding Holmoes get to the fire.
BYU's entire athletic department is currently ranked at number 3 I believe, and you want to fire the athletic director who is in charge of the entire athletic department because the basketball team scheduled games that could allow them to earn an at-large NCAA bid? That is just crazy talk. BYU's entire athletic department as a whole has literally never been this good, so your reaction to that is to get rid of the guy who oversaw that...

And it's not like the basketball team had a murderers row during that stretch either UNLV won 17 games this year and SDSU won 21. Mississippi State was a very tough game but schools are generally rewarded for scheduling tough games. Of all of the people responsible for this fiasco Holmoe is not very high on the list.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

ABYUFAN wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:27 am
BYU's entire athletic department is currently ranked at number 3 I believe, and you want to fire the athletic director who is in charge of the entire athletic department because the basketball team scheduled games that could allow them to earn an at-large NCAA bid? That is just crazy talk. BYU's entire athletic department as a whole has literally never been this good, so your reaction to that is to get rid of the guy who oversaw that...

And it's not like the basketball team had a murderers row during that stretch either UNLV won 17 games this year and SDSU won 21. Mississippi State was a very tough game but schools are generally rewarded for scheduling tough games. Of all of the people responsible for this fiasco Holmoe is not very high on the list.
+1

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

BoiseBYU wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:39 am
ABYUFAN wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:27 am

+1
BYU could have gotten into at least the NIT tournament with 5 more wins instead of losses.

Playing UNLV at Thomas and Mack and UNM at The Pit? SDSU at home and Mississippi State at home? All within 2 weeks of each other? Those are all guaranteed losses. BYU didn't need to schedule up this year, they needed to beat GU and USM both once, Utah State and Utah, and finish second in conference. That's a tourney invite, right there.

Both will likely stay, and that's fine, but Holmoe is as much to blame for this season as Rose. BYU needs to follow Utah St example and not leave home except for patsies.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

Brayden Green wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:01 pm

Playing UNLV at Thomas and Mack and UNM at The Pit? SDSU at home and Mississippi State at home? All within 2 weeks of each other? Those are all guaranteed losses. BYU didn't need to schedule up this year, they needed to beat GU and USM both once, Utah State and Utah, and finish second in conference. That's a tourney invite, right there.
We'll just have to disagree on this. UNLV was far far far from a guaranteed loss. It was by 2 points in overtime against a team that hit a last second three pointer to win. It is the very definition of anyone's game. SDSU was not a guaranteed loss either. SDSU lost to University of San Diego at home, and to Fresno State and Brown. Honestly if SDSU is a "guaranteed loss" then BYU has no business being in a post season tournament anyway. Also, SDSU and BYU agreed to a series. SDSU comes to Provo this coming year. That's how series start. Someone has to go on the road first. Also BYU didn't play in the Pitt this year, at least not within two weeks of Mississippi stae. BYU's problems started with the powerhouses of Houston IN PROVO And then might Illinois state, and then giant killer Weber State.

In short this was a schedule that if BYU could have played to what it was capable of, could have earned a shot at an at-large bid. But BYU is afraid of a two game series with San Diego State, then one really has to wonder why even have a basketball program?

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

Brayden Green wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:01 pm BYU needs to follow Utah St example and not leave home except for patsies.
Utah State played n Provo this year

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

ABYUFAN wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:59 pm
Brayden Green wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:01 pm

We'll just have to disagree on this. UNLV was far far far from a guaranteed loss. It was by 2 points in overtime against a team that hit a last second three pointer to win. It is the very definition of anyone's game. SDSU was not a guaranteed loss either. SDSU lost to University of San Diego at home, and to Fresno State and Brown. Honestly if SDSU is a "guaranteed loss" then BYU has no business being in a post season tournament anyway. Also, SDSU and BYU agreed to a series. SDSU comes to Provo this coming year. That's how series start. Someone has to go on the road first. Also BYU didn't play in the Pitt this year, at least not within two weeks of Mississippi stae. BYU's problems started with the powerhouses of Houston IN PROVO And then might Illinois state, and then giant killer Weber State.

In short this was a schedule that if BYU could have played to what it was capable of, could have earned a shot at an at-large bid. But BYU is afraid of a two game series with San Diego State, then one really has to wonder why even have a basketball program?
It isnt about being afraid, it is about scheduling smart.

BYU is pretty much infamous for scheduling 1 and 1's or 2 for 1's and BYU getting cancelled on the return. Byu had more talent this year than last, but we scheduled a lot harder, and we were still young.

BYU's road games were much much harder this year, and mediocre/young teams win at home and lose on the road.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

ABYUFAN wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:00 pm
Brayden Green wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:01 pm BYU needs to follow Utah St example and not leave home except for patsies.
Utah State played n Provo this year
And we beat them. Case in point.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

Brayden Green wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:56 pm
BYU is pretty much infamous for scheduling 1 and 1's or 2 for 1's and BYU getting cancelled on the return.
We're talking basketball. Name one time that that has happened

Brayden Green wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:56 pm Byu had more talent this year than last, but we scheduled a lot harder, and we were still young.
I disagree on both of these counts. BYU lost Elijah Bryant. There were no Elijah Bryants coming in to the program replacing him. I would not call BYU more talented this year. And BYU is not a "young team" this year. Look at the junior class - they make a great starting 5. Childs, Hardnett, Haws, Nixon and Seljaas. Throw in Wizard Emery off the bench and you've got 6 of their best 10 players as juniors. This was the year for the Cougars to make some noise, and for whatever reason they didn't.

Brayden Green wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:56 pm BYU's road games were much much harder this year, and mediocre/young teams win at home and lose on the road.
If BYU beats Houston at home and USF at home and Weber State and Illinois State on the road then they're looking at 23 wins. It wasn't the schedule that caused the team to have a disjointing year. It was a combination of ineffective coaching and disinterested players. And that needs to be addressed this offseason. Getting rid of things and people who weren't the problem only distracts from being able to correct the actual problem.