x

BYU Cougars on the court.
KYCoug
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU Men's Basketball Recruiting

Post by KYCoug »

stuckinbig10country wrote:Every team would like to have a 6'11" to 7'0" scoring, rebounding and shot blocking center. Its not like there is a basketball player tree behind the Marriot Center.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
I'm sure I'll catch some flack for this but Maybe...just Maybe we should be looking for our bigs somewhere other than "behind the Marriot Center" we will never really step up to the big time until we do. like they say "if you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got" You look at the stable of bigs that Texas has, I don't even like Texas but they are an impressive group. I know the majority of top level D1 players wouldn't be interested in the Y but there are big time D1 players that are religious. Look at some of the D1 players in the SEC, ACC and Big12. I can't believe we couldn't convince someone the values of the Y if we tried. We are making inroads in these areas in Football, I just would like to see more from Basketball.

Go Cougs!

L Hatton
Louisville KY

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I think that is down the road. We first need to get some tourney wins to convince some of those kids to join us. It is coming though. I like the confidence of the team. Last year we had a terrible start against Texas A&M.

Conosticator
Gray Shirt

Post by Conosticator »

stuckinbig10country wrote:Every team would like to have a 6'11" to 7'0" scoring, rebounding and shot blocking center. Its not like there is a basketball player tree behind the Marriot Center.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Crap. Did someone cut it down?

scott715
TV Analyst

Re: BYU Men's Basketball Recruiting 12/30

Post by scott715 »

here is a 6'10" LDS Junior prospect http://nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/ ... e6661.html

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

scott715 wrote:here is a 6'10" LDS Junior prospect http://nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/ ... e6661.html

Seems like this kid might be a risk worth taking. he could really turn into quite a player, might even be 7' by the time he enrolls.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

KYCoug wrote: I'm sure I'll catch some flack for this but Maybe... just Maybe we should be looking for our bigs somewhere other than "behind the Marriot Center" we will never really step up to the big time until we do.
Yeah, because kids like Haws, Davies, and Collinsworth will NEVER help BYU crack the Top 20...

Oh, wait..... :roll:

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
KYCoug
Sophomore

Post by KYCoug »

Mars wrote: Yeah, because kids like Haws, Davies, and Collinsworth will NEVER help BYU crack the Top 20...

Oh, wait..... :roll:
Hey, I love those guys and they have great game and potiential. Just give us 3 or 4 more of them spread through the classes. Haws and Collinsworth are more finesse players than your typical 5 position. Davies has terrific upside to his game. I guess I'm just more used to the eastern style physical inside game. But you see it all these days. Villanova beat Louisville (having a down year) last night and at times had 5 guards on the floor and they just attack, attack, attack. There were 66 fouls called and 94 freethrows attempted. It became a battle of attrition and Nova won. My point is, that's what we have faced and will continue to face when we get to the dance. With our great guard play and depth this year we are better prepared to win a couple of games than before, but to compete at the sweet 16 level and above it would be nice to have a couple of 5's who could control the paint.

Go Cougs!

L Hatton
Louisville KY

beauso79
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by beauso79 »

BYULV wrote:
scott715 wrote:here is a 6'10" LDS Junior prospect http://nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/ ... e6661.html

Seems like this kid might be a risk worth taking. he could really turn into quite a player, might even be 7' by the time he enrolls.
This guy would probably be as good as Anderson anyways

bball
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: BYU Men's Basketball Recruiting 01/12

Post by bball »

There's a guy who plays for Orlando in the NBA that cannot shoot beyond about 10 feet, he's lazy, doesn't rebound very well, but dunks and blocks shots...and everybody raves about him. Of course take a look at this guy.

craigoscarson
Pro

Re: BYU Men's Basketball Recruiting 01/12

Post by craigoscarson »

bball wrote:There's a guy who plays for Orlando in the NBA that cannot shoot beyond about 10 feet, he's lazy, doesn't rebound very well, but dunks and blocks shots...and everybody raves about him. Of course take a look at this guy.
You mean the leading rebounder in the NBA the last 3 years?

The Moses Malone, Amare Stoudamire, Shawn Kemp, Dwight Howards don't come around very often... but their talent was never in question at that age.

That kid may very well turn out to be a good player, but there's a lot more to hoops than a 7'4" wingspan. Hopefully he develops and comes to the Y, but for now, he's just a tall kid.