Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU Men's Basketball Recruiting 12/30

Post by Gunk »

beauso79 wrote:
BYULV wrote:
scott715 wrote:here is a 6'10" LDS Junior prospect http://nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/ ... e6661.html

Seems like this kid might be a risk worth taking. he could really turn into quite a player, might even be 7' by the time he enrolls.
This guy would probably be as good as Anderson anyways
Sounds like at the very least he'd be good defensively. If he can keep the other team's big man from scoring, works for me.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
kfilly20
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: BYU Men's Basketball Recruiting 01/12

Post by kfilly20 »

bball wrote:There's a guy who plays for Orlando in the NBA that cannot shoot beyond about 10 feet, he's lazy, doesn't rebound very well, but dunks and blocks shots...and everybody raves about him. Of course take a look at this guy.
you mean the most dominant big man in the game? The one who can control the whole game without scoring a point? him?

Schmoe
Retired

Re: BYU Men's Basketball Recruiting 01/12

Post by Schmoe »

kfilly20 wrote:
bball wrote:There's a guy who plays for Orlando in the NBA that cannot shoot beyond about 10 feet, he's lazy, doesn't rebound very well, but dunks and blocks shots...and everybody raves about him. Of course take a look at this guy.
you mean the most dominant big man in the game? The one who can control the whole game without scoring a point? him?
Hmmm...exaggeration. He's a big time player and demands attention, but he's nowhere near Kobe- or Lebronesque in his ability to "control" or take over games.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: BYU Men's Basketball Recruiting 01/18

Post by nuk13 »

If the Rodgers kid can score 20 pts and grab 7 rebounds I would like to hear more about him. Same for the Monson and Smoot. I know Jr. college isn't the same as div. 1 but I would sure like to see more that 3 pts. and 3 boards every other game from the center position. I think Kycoug is right, if we're going to go past round 1 we need more from the inside game. We have some of the best guards in the country, but where would we be if we had a guy that could average around 10 and 10.

NFLJPD
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Smoot

Post by NFLJPD »

3.9 GPA deserves a look as well as the size and wing span.... If he is a 6-11 athlete with a 7'5" wing span by his freshmen year of college, they want him.

BYU is a top 20 team and their record deserves the respect of a 13 to 7th ranked team at this time..., Xs and Os and hustle goes a long way, but if they play well coached tall "athletes" from across the nation. Like some of the top 10, They would struggle worse than they did against UNLV. How do they get past the sweet 16?

#1 Kansas plays one of the hardest schedules in the country and with 6'11" Aldrich and 7'0" Whitney hold these other great teams they play below 44% shooting.

#2 Kentucky is the tallest team in the NCAA..., more so they are known for 3 starting freshmen and another 2 freshmen coming off the bench that are all known as great "athletes" with size. They're still learning the game but keep beating top 10 "Senior Oriented" teams. They own the boards. They own free balls. They are hard to stop in transition and the half court game.

#3 Purdue...,
#4 Syracuse...,
#5 Duke...,
#6 Kansas St...,
#7 West Virgina...,
#8 Villanova...,
#9 Ohio State...,
Etc.

scott715
TV Analyst

Re: BYU Men's Basketball Recruiting 04/22

Post by scott715 »

The 2010 recruiting class is now closed. Any targets for 2011? Who is the top recruit in utah? Scout has nothing in their database.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

scott715 wrote:The 2010 recruiting class is now closed. Any targets for 2011? Who is the top recruit in utah? Scout has nothing in their database.
I'm not sure what to think about Demarcus Harrison. A once "must have" recruit (at least by the fanspeak) for the cougars that for whatever reason has fallen off the radar of a lot of big schools, including wake forest, clemson etc. He transferred to a prep school last year which might mean he's in the class of '11 now but I'm not sure; I know sometimes they literally prolong high school by attending prep schools so maybe he's in next years class.
[youtube]0c6fHNVeDaI[/youtube]
so for next year the idea is to recruit
#1 the best rated player possible regardless of position
#2 fill needs with D1 caliber players - we lose guards and get back young big men - so we need a guard for depth purposes whether that be the top rated guy or a need guy, they shoudl end up signing one

we'll lose Emery Fredette Magnusson and little Collinsworth, and get back 7 footers, Ian Harward and Nate Austin from missions; leaving us with 2 scholarships (potentially 1 if collinsworth doesn't go on a mish- all signs point to him going - and potentially 3 if Martineau is shown the door)

the top "non senior "current player in the state of Utah, is probably a freshman in high school (nic emery) so he's a ways off
[youtube]5gKb88Tx1as&feature[/youtube]
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_14665041?IADID ... sltrib.com
up there is tyrell corbin, He put it on Provo last year in the state tournament (when they had Davies...) Corbin has the quicks to help us defensively... I'd take him over Martineau right now
[youtube]Z8rWam5Ifok[/youtube]
[youtube]zn1WciEnKT4&NR[/youtube]
Corbin Miller, Brighton - though I've talked to some recruiters that aren't 100% sure that Miller is a big time d1 prospect; some of his game is definately college ready though
[youtube]fuT6-qAKMLA[/youtube]

outside of Utah:
Brett Kingma; guard (this was his sophomore highlite tape) the kid can really really fill it up but does shoot a little from his chest (maybe that's just a strength issue, but the kid can shoot; his follow-through, footwork and body control when he shoots, are immaculate)- He's been offered by Gonzaga and BYU
http://rivals.yahoo.com/stanford/basket ... gma-107206
[youtube]BrdK0EAGtDc[/youtube]
Basketball: BYU checking out a highly touted Washington guard
December 17th, 2009

As is widely known, Provo High’s Kyle Collinsworth and Anson Winder, a 6-3 guard from Las Vegas’ Bishop Gorman High, signed with BYU’s basketball program last month. Both are well into their senior seasons.
Winder is off to a nice start, having scored 22 points the other night against Durango High. He had 16 against Findlay Prep, a national power.
The Cougars had one other scholarship available to give out, but are holding on to it and will likely sign another player in the spring who can join them in time for the 2010-11 season. The could either be a junior college transfer or a high school player.
But who are they looking at from the Class of 2011 (this year’s juniors)?
A source familiar with their recruiting efforts told me they are interested in Brett Kingma, a 6-2 shooting guard from Jackson High School in Mill Creek, Wash.
Although Kingma is not LDS, he’s given BYU at least some indication that he has an interest in the Cougars. Kingma had offers from Gonzaga, Portland, Portland State and Eastern Washington early in his sophomore season, according to this report, but subsequently broke his arm and did not finish the season.
He’s a junior now, and off to a nice start. Seattle University, which beat the University of Utah recently, has also offered. BYU has not offered yet, but likes him a lot, I’ve been told.

-----------------------

Locally, one player from the Class of 2011 that the Cougars have their eye on is Brighton High point guard Corbin Miller. They have not offered yet, however. Miller plays for the Salt Lake Metro club team when he's not playing for the Bengals.
Another 2011 target, who does have an offer from BYU, is DeMarcus Harrison, the 6-foot-5 junior from South Carolina who is currently attending a prep school (Christ School) in North Carolina. Harrison, who is LDS, is ranked as the 54th best prospect in the country in the class of 2011 by ESPNU.
Coaches from all the top programs in the country are swinging by Chris School to get a look at Harrison, but the Cougars are still very much in the running for him.

-----------------------

A sophomore locally to keep tabs on for both Utah and BYU is Jordan Loveridge, a 6-foot-6 star-in-the-making at West Jordan High. Scouts say Loveridge will be a high-Division I prospect before his career as a Jaguar is over.
[youtube]CUCMUr5UdHc[/youtube]
there's the potentially 7 footer that we've discussed above: Jared Smoot http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-sch ... e6661.html

There's Jeff Chatmans kid, Jordan,in Portland (if you don't know who Jeff Chatman is please go watch some 86-88 BYU hoops games) - however he's a soph this year and 2 yrs away... maybe BYU will hold off on signing a guard in next years class and bank on Chatman the next season.

Basketball: Former BYU star Jeff Chatman's sophomore son drawing rave reviews

We wrote a few weeks ago about prep basketball star Brett Kingma, a junior at Jackson High in Mill Creek, Wash., whom BYU is following.
Turns out, there’s another underclassman from that state who is also drawing the attention of Cougar coaches.
Jordan Chatman, a sophomore at Skyview High in Vancouver, Wash., is off to a strong start this season and is definitely on BYU’s radar.
Chatman, a 6-foot-3 guard, is the son of former BYU standout Jeff Chatman. He started as a freshman and is now his team’s leading scorer as a sophomore. He recently scored 27 points in a 63-61 win over Hockinson High and made the game-winning shot.
According to a family member, Chatman has already been contacted by LSU, Davidson, Washington State, Utah, Utah State, Arizona and BYU.

At least one BYU coach will reportedly be on hand today when Chatman's team takes on North Eugene at the Rose Garden Arena in Portland. Tipoff is at 2 p.m. PST.

Last summer, one scouting service filed this report and watching Chatman in California:

Chatman is a tremendous scorer and projects to be a sold Division 1 two-guard at the mid major level. He has a solid looking frame with long arms and he possesses a real knack for putting points on the board. he can knock down the 3-point shot with regularity and he gets good lift on his shot as well. In addition, he has quick 1st step to the basket and he maneuvers well around traffic. He does have a tendency to hunt for his own shot and he'll need to learn how to create for others in the half court set to expand his game. On the other hand, in transition he delivered a number of fine assists for easy baskets. Overall, in the coming seasons it will be interesting to see how his frame fills out as well as his skills to determine the level of his recruitment.

Then what about the kid that just left Nebraska, Gallegos... there's an experienced guard that can play defense and shoot a little. He'd have 3 years left to play after sitting out this season.
[youtube]7tiqLC3b41o[/youtube]

Ideally BYU makes a big run this year and these kids will be banging down the door to get in.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

craigoscarson wrote: I'm not sure what to think about Demarcus Harrison. A once "must have" recruit (at least by the fanspeak) for the cougars that for whatever reason has fallen off the radar of a lot of big schools, including wake forest, clemson etc. He transferred to a prep school last year which might mean he's in the class of '11 now but I'm not sure; I know sometimes they literally prolong high school by attending prep schools so maybe he's in next years class.
Harrison is the #1 target for BYU next year. Coach Rose flew out to South Carolina with Nashif to do a home visit with him today. I think he'll be a Cougar.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Mars
Retired

Re: BYU Men's Basketball Recruiting 05/01

Post by Mars »

I know all you trolls on this website just want to talk about Boise State football, but if I can interrupt your Bronco-love for just one second...

BYU has now offered Brett Kingma, a 6-1/170 PG out of Washington in the 2011 recruiting class that Coach Rose hopes will be the heir apparent to Jimmer Fredette. Kingma is not LDS, and has offers from Gonzaga, Portland, Portland State, Eastern Washington, and Seattle University. He has been highly recruited since his Sophomore season, and the only reason that the PAC-10 teams haven't jumped him yet is that he didn't play much last year, with a broken arm.

"Brett Kingma, the high-scoring guard from Jackson High in Mill Creek, Wash., told me last night that “BYU is at the top of my list.” "

He is visiting BYU in two weeks, and sounds pretty sold on the program. He even reads like a Jimmer fan.

He should be the 2nd guard in next year's class, along with shooting guard Demarcus Harrison. The two are expected combine with Anson Winder down the road to replace Fredette/Emery.

http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php?p ... &tb=1&pb=1

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
CougarPeasant
All-American

Re: BYU Men's Basketball Recruiting 05/01

Post by CougarPeasant »

Whaaaaaaat? No offer from BSU? Kingma can't be all that good then. ;)

Nice find. Sounds like the program is finally getting notice with Harrison now leaning BYU and kids like Kingma have BYU on top of their list over a program like Gonzaga.