Unfortunately

BYU Cougars on the court.
Cougest
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Unfortunately

Post by Cougest »

stgeorgefan wrote:THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!

If the cougars won last night off Haws great shot would Northerncoug or anyone else be calling this team "not good"..
If we win last night than its a quality win against a quality team.. Some would say it was imperative to us getting into the Ncaa Tour. We can't lose to a good team and then say this team isn't any good. We'd all be talking about making the tourny and GU if we won last night..
What I believe our teams problem this year is this: Quality Depth. Without our scorers on the floor we can't put up good numbers... Our starting lineup is really really good, its just that we can't sustain that level when davies is in foul trouble or Carlino is having a bad night.. Blame it on the off season injuries to Rodgers and whats his name :skeptic: ( can't remember)
If/when we beat St. Mary's or Gonzaga this year i can bet "all will be well in cougar town"

My thoughts exactly. We lost by 1 point on a freak shot to a good team after we had a great win streak. Yet, we are a "bad" team. Give me a break! Yes, we're not a a great team but we are good and we're getting better each weak.

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

We gave up a huge lead on our home floor, couldn't rebound worth a damn, got in silly foul trouble, had our zone exposed, and lost to a team who has losses to teams like Pacific and Georgia Tech. There are no moral victories to be had after this game, we need to play up to our potential consistently if we want to be a good team.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

I love that some of the biggest byu football critics (the same ones who go ballistic after a single score football loss) are always some of the quickest to defend the basketball team.

gets me everytime. I'm not saying the football team is amazing, or that the basketball team is either. they are both nationally respected teams and almost no one will come to provo to play either of them. provo has a good thing going right now in basketball and football.

Cougest
BLUEshirt

Post by Cougest »

BroncoBot wrote:I love that some of the biggest byu football critics (the same ones who go ballistic after a single score football loss) are always some of the quickest to defend the basketball team.

gets me everytime. I'm not saying the football team is amazing, or that the basketball team is either. they are both nationally respected teams and almost no one will come to provo to play either of them. provo has a good thing going right now in basketball and football.
I love that some of the biggest BYU basketball critics (the same ones who go ballistic after a single score basketball loss) are always some of the quickest to defend the football team. A perfect example of that, and not trying to throw him under the buss because he makes some good points, is Schmoe.

No one is saying there is a victory is this loss. This loss sucked and was ugly, especially having after having such a huge lead early. I just don't think the sky is falling after it. This team definitely could be better but they're not bad either.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Cougest wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:I love that some of the biggest byu football critics (the same ones who go ballistic after a single score football loss) are always some of the quickest to defend the basketball team.

I love that some of the biggest BYU basketball critics (the same ones who go ballistic after a single score basketball loss) are always some of the quickest to defend the football team. A perfect example of that, and not trying to throw him under the buss because he makes some good points, is Schmoe.
How exactly am I an example of "going ballistic" after a single score basketball loss? Can you show me what I said that was "ballistic" or written "ballistically?"

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Huh...

What I get a kick out of is how devoid of posters the basketball forum is compared to the football forum even though it's the off season.

Basketball drops a game and there's an up tick in posters in the basketball forum. Basketball wins a game and it's crickets except for the few that are generally following and interested in the team.

I make no effort to cover my bias for basketball. I like the sport better.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

ABYUFAN wrote:The Cougars are "Good" Only good. They are not great, nor are they championship material, but they are good. Rose is a heck of a coach, and i like them more today than I did yesterday. They CAn beat the Zags in Provo (I didn't beleive that going into last night's game) They CAN beat St. Mary's in Moraga,a nd I'm seriously thinking of going to that game to witness it in person. I like this team, more than I did yesterday. They were tough, and played well enough to win, they got beat by a 1 in a 100 shot.
Moral victory of sorts. Kind of like losing to Top 5 ND on the road by a missed field goal or ranked BSU on the road by a failed 2-point conversion, or losing to our arch rival when a kick clanks off the uprights on the road.

Except this was to an unranked team at home after leading by nearly 20 points and getting beat by a guy playing with 4 fouls.

Where is the uproar.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

Cougarbib wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:The Cougars are "Good" Only good. They are not great, nor are they championship material, but they are good. Rose is a heck of a coach, and i like them more today than I did yesterday. They CAn beat the Zags in Provo (I didn't beleive that going into last night's game) They CAN beat St. Mary's in Moraga,a nd I'm seriously thinking of going to that game to witness it in person. I like this team, more than I did yesterday. They were tough, and played well enough to win, they got beat by a 1 in a 100 shot.
Moral victory of sorts. Kind of like losing to Top 5 ND on the road by a missed field goal or ranked BSU on the road by a failed 2-point conversion, or losing to our arch rival when a kick clanks off the uprights on the road.

Except this was to an unranked team at home after leading by nearly 20 points and getting beat by a guy playing with 4 fouls.

Where is the uproar.

I'm not calling this a moral victory, the loss sucked. But I thought that this team would lose by a ton and not even have a prayer. I was glad after the game to see that this team DOES have a prayer to win against St Mary's and Gonzaga. We lost and it stings, but this team is better than I thought that they were, and I like that.

They are a "good" team, but only that... only good. Good teams make the dance... good teams sometimes get left out of the dance. Good teams win 20 games. Great, spectacular and special teams do more than those things, and we aren't to that level; we're only good. But good teams are fun to watch, and this team was fun to watch on Wednesday. If you didn't like the game (not the ending) then you don't like college basketball.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

ABYUFAN wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:

Where is the uproar.

I'm not calling this a moral victory, the loss sucked. But I thought that this team would lose by a ton and not even have a prayer. I was glad after the game to see that this team DOES have a prayer to win against St Mary's and Gonzaga. We lost and it stings, but this team is better than I thought that they were, and I like that.

They are a "good" team, but only that... only good. Good teams make the dance... good teams sometimes get left out of the dance. Good teams win 20 games. Great, spectacular and special teams do more than those things, and we aren't to that level; we're only good. But good teams are fun to watch, and this team was fun to watch on Wednesday. If you didn't like the game (not the ending) then you don't like college basketball.
I am just fine with this team. I am just fine with coach Rose. The football vs basketball double standard just cracks me up.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Cougarbib wrote: I am just fine with this team. I am just fine with coach Rose. The football vs basketball double standard just cracks me up.
Basketball hasn't been marred with 3 years of PG controversy. If we don't make the NCAA tourney, it will be the first time in 6 years.

Plus, the illusions of grandeur are much higher among the football team than the basketball team. Perfection is needed in football, so any slip up carries more significance.

BYU is a football first school - the oldest sibling that has to carry the load. Basketball, volleyball and women's soccer are the fun little siblings.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel