Central Wash--BYU audio stream

BYU Cougars on the court.
JamieVallen
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Central Wash--BYU audio stream

Post by JamieVallen »

It's all good, it's the thought that counts right? :)

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

I only saw the first half but here are a few things I saw:

Miles is just a mistake player when he tries to do more than catch'n'dunk on offense. He needs to just focus on rebounding and defending.

Davies is a better athlete than I knew. He moves pretty well and attempts to finish strong. He also goes after rebounds hard with 2 hands.

Fredette struggles a little bit with attacking the basket and feeling when the double/triple team is coming.

Abouo needs to gain little more experience but he is a beast.

Morgan Jr. is our best point guard but he is so undersized it limits what he can do in the lane.

Lloyd Jr. is really fast but still plays a little out of control.

I know Hartsock was coming off a ankle injury but he just doesn't seem to have the strength or the explosion needed to score around the hoop. On the other hand he did make a few good defensive help rotations.

Emery played a good overall game.

JT was JT. He makes 5 very difficult shots in a row and then makes a few boneheaded plays in a row.

Mangusson didn't look like he will be much help this year.

At one point on the floor we had Morgan, Lloyd, Abouo, Hartsock and Davies. I can't remember the last time we had 4 black players.

Overall we had a very good game.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

Qman wrote: Morgan Jr. is our best point guard but he is so undersized it limits what he can do in the lane.
By "best" do you mean "worst"? :skeptic:

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

Mars wrote:
Qman wrote: Morgan Jr. is our best point guard but he is so undersized it limits what he can do in the lane.
By "best" do you mean "worst"? :skeptic:

I don't see Fredette as a point guard. He is a shooting guard that happens to point guard size. Emery is certainly not a point guard. Lloyd isn't as good as Morgan.

Just comparing Fredette to Morgan- Morgan is a quicker and a better on the ball defender. IMO he does a better job setting up other players.

Does this mean we shouldn't start Fredette, no. Fredette gives us the best chance to win. I just don't see him as a point guard.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I had my two young boys with me so we only stayed for the first half and then went home and I watched the 2nd half after I put them to bed. Here are my impressions:

Starters: I don't know if this will be the starting line up on Friday, but I did like the personnel grouping.
Fredette: almost seemed disinterested in the game, but that was to be expected given the level of competition. He is clearly the team leader and the best player on the team. He can get to the rim when he wants and he's very aggressive. If you give him any room at the top of the key and aren't paying attention, he will drive by you and get to the tin and score. I saw nothing to suggest he won't be the MWC POY.

Tavernari: he continues to be the best rebounder on the team. He has a nose for the ball. Anytime he gets his feet set before he shoots I believe the ball is going in and raise my hands up before the ball is made. More often than not it's in. That's the key for JT: get your feet set. His shot selection and game has improved each year he's been in the program. I fully expect that to be the case again this year.

Emery: Our best defender. Somewhat limited offensively. But he knows what he can do and stays within that.

Haws: he's a scorer pure and simple. Very good in traffic. Has a D-1 body and looks strong enough to get to the rim. I thought his shooting motion was a bit odd. Not quite a true jump shot, but not quite a Shawn Marion shot put either. I really like the potential he showed. I think BYU will benefit from Haws' ability/desire to get to the tin. Between Jimmer and Tyler, BYU should shoot more FTs than they did last year.

Davies: much stronger, longer, better than I anticipated. Keeps the ball high. A decent defender, but he's explosive - something we haven't had from the 5 spot in a LONG time. Likes to dunk and looks to dunk. He can also dunk without pausing for six seconds to gather himself like Miles or two seconds like Trent (although Trent was killer in transition). I like his upside and I like his quickness around the hoop. Very excited for BD.

Bench:
Miles: simply not a fan of his game. He's tall and that's about it. He's a below average rebounder and shot blocker. He's very limited offensively and struggles dunking unless completely alone. But he's all hustle and that has a definite role. You always know you'll get maximum effort. Basketball is one sport where hustle can cover for a lack of talent, to a degree. I kind of see Miles like Ian Johnson the RB at Boise St a few years ago. A fan favorite and helped the program early in his career. But has he progressed through the program, better players were brought in and he became a role player by the end and he embraced it for the betterment of the team. Miles will/could be a role player this year and I think he will/would embrace it and BYU will be a better team for it.

Abouo: still very raw, but very athletic. Athleticism like hustle can cover for a lack of talent. It's too bad Abouo won't ever red-shirt. I think he'll be very good his senior year and we'll only glimpses of that until then. He's a strong rebounder and will definitely help the team.

Morgan: A good backup PG. I didn't really notice the offense working any better or worse with him at the point. But he's not a real threat to score. There was one line up in the first half that I really wondered where the scoring was going to come from. Between Morgan and Jimmer, I'm not worried about the PG spot.

Hartsock: I like the guy. He's active around the rim. He keeps the ball high and knows his moves. I could see him being a top 6 scorer for the team.

Anderson: I actually think he's better than Miles. I think he has a better bball IQ. He knows what he can/can't do and does that. He's a good help side defender. He just lacks strength to be a full-time player. He'd get push around by bigger 5s - good thing the MWC is lacking good 5s this year.

Loyd: Let's be honest, he's a fan favorite because he's "got soul." He's an average bball talent. He'll see limited minutes and garbage time. I was impressed with his passing though. He keeps his head up, which is good. That long bounce pass to Davies(?) was great. Like Morgan, he's limited offensively and that we simply can't have. BYU can't afford to play guys who can't really score long minutes.

Magnusson: a decent player. He'll be a role player and may see some spot duty here and there early in the season as Coach Rose tries out personnel groupings.

Zylstra: see Magnusson. He's still young (RS FR) so he still has time to further develop.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

I watched the game on BYUTV and my strongest impression was of Coach Rose going into halftime. WOW He's aged! I'd followed his progress through the summer, and am glad he's doing better, but I was still surprised how much he had aged in such a short time.

Keep fighting coach – we’re pulling for you!

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Jimmer, JT, Emery = Clear Starters
Morgan, Loyd = Clear Bench Players
Zylstra, Magnusson = Clear Garbage Time Players

Abouo, Anderson, Davies, Hartsock, Haws, Miles = Not a Whole Lot Separating Any of Them

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Mars wrote:
Jimmer, JT, Emery = Clear Starters
Morgan, Loyd = Clear Bench Players
Zylstra, Magnusson = Clear Garbage Time Players

Abouo, Anderson, Davies, Hartsock, Haws, Miles = Not a Whole Lot Separating Any of Them
Yeah pretty much. I think the season hinges on what we get out of that fourth group and if we can get that on a consistent, reliable basis.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Sammich »

Mars wrote:
What I love about this team is the seasons before Rose became coach, most of the starters would have fit into this group, and the rest of the team would be in our garbage time group. In a couple years maybe we'll be stocked with Jimmers and Emerys.

Does anyone here think of Ben Fold's "Jackson Cannery" whenever they hear the name Jackson Emery?

Short_Change
Freshman

Post by Short_Change »

I've been surprised by Emery's terrible shooting thus far. I hope he pulls out of it because we need him to hit open threes since he's not a big offensive threat. Great great defender though. I haven't been impressed by Hartstock, Miles, or Anderson at this point. I like Miles the most between the three though. I have been impressed by Davies though, well at least on the offensive side and on rebounding. Not so sure he's a great post defender though. He needs to work on that. He has a lot of potential though. He loves the game and you can tell. He could be starting by the half-way point of the season. Miles better get better or he'll be coming off the bench. I really like this team especially because of their defense and athletic ability.