First exibition game tonight!

BYU Cougars on the court.
Short_Change
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

First exibition game tonight!

Post by Short_Change »

Anyone going to the game tonight? I'm really excited for this team this year. They are going to be playing on BYU TV tonight at 7:00 pm so if you can't make it to the game then watch it on the tube.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: First exibition game tonight!

Post by hawkwing »

During the break between the Office and 30 Rock BYU was leading 52 - 40.

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

BYU wins going away, took them awhile to get started though and they didn't take the lead until about eight or ten minutes into the game. Cougs put it together in the end but we do have some things to work on.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

BYU wins 74-56!
7,533 attendance.

Recaps: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7053 ... ack=rss-28
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=498&sid=8572523

Fredette scores 24 (6 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 steals), Tav scores 18 (leads team with 8 rebounds).
Jimmer and JT combine to go 17-for-30. The rest of the team combines to go 12-for-40.
Haws (6 rebounds returning from knee injury), Davies (6 rebounds), and Morgan all score 6 points.
Hartsock does not play, due to slightly sprained ankle.

BYU trailed 0-8 early, and took their first lead of 20-18 with 8:32 left in the first half. The Cougars led at halftime 40-31, and never led by less than 9 from that point on.

BYU was only 11-of-20 on their free throw shooting, a major issue from prior seasons.
Last edited by Mars on Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

I watched some of the 1st half.

We started slowly until a few Emery steals lead to some easy buckets. Abouo looked more aggressive offensively. Haws looked a very good all around player who is an average athlete. Fredette seems to have made some small improvements. They tried to get Davies the ball in the post with mixed results- he will need to get stronger to play in the post full-time. Morgan Jr looked pretty good to me. Or Taverani was doing the MJ mid post thing.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Sammich »

Qman wrote:Haws looked a very good all around player who is an average athlete.
You really should have watched the second half, Haws started to fall into rhythm and had some pretty athletic plays in the last several minutes.

cachevalleycougar
BLUEshirt

Post by cachevalleycougar »

Mars wrote:
BYU was only 11-of-20 on their free point shooting, a major issue from prior seasons.
I assume you mean free throw (which would be bad) as opposed to three point (which would be very good).

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

cachevalleycougar wrote:
Mars wrote: BYU was only 11-of-20 on their free point shooting, a major issue from prior seasons.
I assume you mean free throw (which would be bad) as opposed to three point (which would be very good).
You're correct. The Cougars shot 24% from 3-point range, and 39% overall. Not their best numbers, but they held their opponent to 38% shooting, so it was good enough. Hopefully the team improves the more they play with each other against opponents and learn how to mesh.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Short_Change
Freshman

Post by Short_Change »

I enjoyed watching the game on the tube last night. (had to tivo it just to watch it) That Canadian team can shoot the 3 especially that Doerksen guy. Geez. I was impressed by the pressure we put on them. We have a lot of quick guys that make it difficult on the other team. We had a ton of steals and everyone was getting them! This was a tough team for an exhibition game, but we kept our composure and stormed back from a slow start. Jimmer looked like the pre-season MVP that he is. JT looks improved and crashed the boards and played solid D. Miles started out slow but finished strong with some good D. Haws and Davies have a lot of potential. Emery was hustling like normal, but didn't shoot too well. I like Lamont a lot. He's a good point guard. They even had him play point at times with Jimmer at the 2. I was a little surprised to hear that he's one of the captains. He's a good dude. Was not impressed with James Anderson. He's going to be riding the bench this year. Abouo is a freak athlete and will have a good season. We didn't shoot well from 3 land or from the charity stripe, but other than that I think we did well for our first exhibition game.