Program Maturity

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
mcgregor
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

Program Maturity

Post by mcgregor »

Something Bronco has commented on has really proved itself this season: Program Maturity.

In my opinion, a program goes through three phases of team maturity, measured by four characterizations of individual positions.

Each team strives to operate a mature program. A mature program is one where back-ups can fill in positions with little to no drop-off in on-field execution. The process to achieve program maturity is the construction phase. And some teams--particularly ones replacing head coaches--must endure a reconstruction phase simply to get to the construction phase.

Each position on the team is manned by a player that is either (1) a liability, (2) serviceable, (3) skilled, or (4) all-star. A liability is a player that can get exposed by more than half the teams on schedule. A serviceable player is one that can hold up against most competition on the schedule, but can get exploited by more talented teams to the detriment of the entire side of the ball. A skilled player is one good enough to thwart teams attempting to attack that player. An all-star is one that would start one most D1 teams in the nation. Nate Soelberg was a liability, Justin Robinson was serviceable, Cameron Jensen was skilled, and Austin Collie was an all-star.

On each side of the ball, you measure each position and look at the sum. In 2005, there were so many liabilities at the various positions that the entire defense was a liability. Each year, there were fewer and fewer liabilities. Last year, we operated our defense with many skilled players, but mostly serviceable players. Likely, only one or two players were arguably liabilities.

This year, the worst defenders are serviceable, with several skilled players. Perhaps, there is at least one to three all-stars (I would argue that Jordan Pendleton is on his way to all-star status). But most importantly, the bulk of the starters are skilled. In my opinion, to run a good defense you need at least 8 skilled players, 2 all-stars. A great defense obviously fields more all-stars, and no liabilities.

The offense illustrates program maturity better. When one man goes down, as has been the case on the OL and now Jacobson, there is almost no noticeable drop-off. The offense is mature. Sure, they could use some more all-stars, but at least the reserves are skilled. This wasn't the case last year, as at least one of the OL was a liability (at best, serviceable).

Once the skilled starters on defense are replaced by equally skilled (or even better, but younger) backups, the program will complete the maturity process. From there, a mature program looks to fill in with all-stars.

I've left out a fourth phase--super maturity, where every player is an all-star--because that distinction is unrealistic for most teams.

In summary, Bronco has brought this team from reconstruction to the cusp of full maturity. I think we are there on offense, and a few recruits shy of being there on defense.

Sammich
Senior
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Program Maturity

Post by Sammich »

Jordan Pendleton reminds me a bit of Brian Kehl. I see his name and number doing good things almost every other play.

I think the super maturity phase is one of those negative-feedback-cycle things, where it's impossible to fill a team with all-stars because the more full of all-stars a team becomes, the less incentive there is for individual all-star players to sign up knowing they will play a backup role, when they could easily start and shine somewhere else.

mcgregor
Freshman
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

Post by mcgregor »

Sammich wrote:Jordan Pendleton reminds me a bit of Brian Kehl. I see his name and number doing good things almost every other play.

I think the super maturity phase is one of those negative-feedback-cycle things, where it's impossible to fill a team with all-stars because the more full of all-stars a team becomes, the less incentive there is for individual all-star players to sign up knowing they will play a backup role, when they could easily start and shine somewhere else.
I think you are right.

BYU has the potential for super-maturity because we attract student athletes with more than just football. That being said, I'm not sure there are enough LDS all-stars year-in, year out to field a super-maturity team.

In the coming years, however, I'm sure it's even necessary. I think parity is increasing nationwide. This is in part due to the level of competition increasing in every sector of the nation, better info so kids from saturated markets can be recruited to lesser-talented areas, and the realization by many student athletes that four years starting at SDSU can compensate for one year at USC (on-field experience helps build skills).

49erCoug
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by 49erCoug »

Sammich wrote:Jordan Pendleton reminds me a bit of Brian Kehl. I see his name and number doing good things almost every other play.

I will say one thing about Pendleton.. against FSU he was frequently out of position.. he bit HARD on the dives.. and when they ran play action to the tight end.. the tight end was always open.. That being said.. I really like Pendleton and am stoked that he finally has gotten PT.. all in all.. he is a very solid backer.. and improving!!!!

I really like the depth that has been established.. and that is something that Bronco has strived to establish as well.. goes to what Mcgregor stated in his post.. not only bodies.. but bodies that can come in and contribute when the others in front of them go down or have to come out of the game..

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

I thought Pendleton was vastly overhyped this summer.
He wasn't.

Pendleton may be the fastest/most athletic/best coverage linebacker we have had in a long, looong time. Kehl was more athletic (maybe not as tall?), but perhaps not quite as good in pass coverage. Nixon was faster, but more of a blitzing LB than a man-to-man guy. As others have pointed out, perhaps Pendleton overpursues too much, and needs to work on his decision-making when it comes to coming up from his spot a little earlier to meet the RB, but MAN he is looking like a baller so far!

Bauman was in my ward a long time ago. Cool guy. Very smart, very hardworking. Simply doesn't have the physical blessings or pure ability that Pendleton does though.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I've met and talked to both Pendleton and Kehl outside of football, and I'm pretty sure that Pendleton is a couple of inches taller than Kehl. Kehl is one of my top 3 players in the Bronco era, I think his leadership was as important to the team as his physical abilities (probably even more so). That being said, I hope Pendleton makes us all forget about Kehl (though of course he'll long be one of my favorites).