UNLV--post game perspectives

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

UNLV--post game perspectives

Post by snoscythe »

First off, what's your over/under on Sanford making it through the week? The only way I see him getting the over is if the Rebel administration decides to keep him one more week so he can at least shut out the Utes next week. I'm taking the under--yeah, his defense held BYU to 160 yards less than they gave UNR, but that's still 611 yards.

As for the BYU side of things, I hate to say it, but I liked PK's take on the bigger picture--an easier win than the easy win we expected, but BYU still had enough problems to keep them focused during the week leading up to SDSU. The breakdown that led to the 75 yard TD reception for the rebels needs to be addressed. I can't remember if that came before or after Johnson went out, so I am hoping it is something as simple as the freshman Bills having a brain fart in coverage, but even if it is that simple, it could be a sign that we are going to miss T'eo more than we might have thought. PK nitpicks about 3 penalties on the offensive line, but I don't see that as being a glaring weakness.

Unga looked like a world-beater (the mtn postgame was talking about whether or not he is the best back in college football--a bit of a reach for my taste), but he was helped out by the Rebel secondary. After the UNR debacle, it looked like the secondary was too keyed up on stopping the run, and they overpursued the ball all night long, leaving massive holes (what's bigger than a hole--a crevasse?) once the running back broke a linebacker's tackle and cut back. It was nice to see some speed out of Harvey though--who says swine flu is a bad thing? What a difference losing 15 pounds can make.

Last night was also a night of young guys reminding us why we were so excited when they committed. O'Neill almost kept his promise (a year late), and would have gotten his return touchdown if only (a) he had cut back to the inside, or (b) his blocker would have blocked the defender out instead of forward. DiLuigi showed why next year BYU could bring the thunder-and-lightening package if Unga returns for year 4, and Jan Jorgensen was continually pushing his man deep into the pocket and flustering Clayton and the entire offensive line. I don't know that I've seen an end have that much impact on the passing game without getting to the quarterback. And then there was Riley Nelson. I would have liked to see the kid put the ball in the air, but the kid is a gamer. I'm not willing to crown Heaps yet--he's going to have to take the starting job away from Nelson, and based on what I've seen from both Nelson and Heaps this year, Heaps isn't there yet.

After all of that, my biggest relief is what didn't happen--I never heard Brian Logan's name called. That meant (a) no PI calls, (b) no touchdowns, and (c) his receiver wasn't catching the ball to give him opportunities to tackle. Logan had only one assisted tackle for the night. I'll have to watch the game again to see what was going on, but the stat line makes it look like a lockdown game for Logan....a welcome change of pace.

Finally, here's where the Cougars are after last night:

Rankings:
#19 in coaches' poll (jumped Mizzou, Auburn, Ol' Miss, jumped by OU and Nebraska)
#18 in AP poll

Max Hall:
#6 in the country in passing efficiency @ 162.57 (#1 in MWC)
Better TD-INT ratio to 13:10 with a pick free night
#13 in country for total offense @ 292 ypg (#1 in MWC)

Harvey Unga:
#21 in the country in rushing--98.8 ypg (#1 in MWC)
#13 in country in scoring (#1 in MWC)

Team stats:
#1 in the MWC in:
- Passing Offense (299.33 ypg) (#13 nationally)
- Total Offense (462.33 ypg) (#13 nationally)
- Scoring Offense (38.67 ppg) (#8 nationally)

The team is also doing well in:
-Net Punting #10 nationally (40 yards)(#2 in MWC)
-KO returns #28 nationally (24.76 yards) (#4 MWC)
-Rushing defense #36 nationally (114.67 ypg) (#4 MWC)

Needs improvement
- Pass efficiency D #66 (127.28)
- Punt returns #79 nationally (7.22)
- Sacks #63 (thank you LES turf) 1.83
- TFL #97 (4.5 pg)

Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: UNLV--post game perspectives

Post by Sammich »

Great analysis and I totally agree with the Brian Logan thing. The less we hear about him, the better!

49erCoug
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: UNLV--post game perspectives

Post by 49erCoug »

I actually really like Brian Logan.. I think he plays a good game.. sure he has been beat a few times.. and even been called for PI a few more than that.. BUT.. when Buckner started for Logan.. I didn't think he outplayed what Logan had done in previous games...

One of the BIG things I like about Logan.. is he is very aggressive when it comes to tackling.. He isn't afraid to stick his nose in there.. When the ball is in the air.. he breaks on the ball.. and usually makes a pretty good open field tackle.. Bradley is a good cover guy.. but isn't nearly as aggressive when it comes to tackling as Logan..

I just wish the guy was 6 inches taller....