Does Mendenhall think you are an idiot?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
mcgregor
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

Does Mendenhall think you are an idiot?

Post by mcgregor »

From day one I've been a huge Mendenhall fan, along with all his personality coach-speak trappings.

First, let me say that Coach Mendenhall is right: that a fan's criticism is a function of his knowledge of the game, his knowledge of the teams, and his perception of what's currently happening on the field. No one knows this better than the coach. For that, I agree 100% with Mendenhall.

But it's my casual observation that the thrust of fan criticism at the moment centers on Max Hall. It doesn't take THAT much knowledge of the game to grasp that having as many INT's as TD's is not necessarily a good thing. Just saying.

So the point of this post is really a defense of the casual observer--traditionally my enemy, but in this cause my ally--who refuses to accept the blanket protection Mendenhall insists upon that nothing on the field gets questioned. The fan who sees a problem with Max Hall completing as many passes to the arms of defenders as his own receivers in the endzones. Who questions the focus of a team that beats a good OU squad one week and turns around and gets bent over the desk by a sorry FSU crew.

Max Hall is a good QB. Brian Logan is a good DB. Mendenhall, Jaime, and Anae are all great and often under-appreciated. But if receivers keep losing balls on slant screens, if kickers are consistently pelting the sideline camera guy on the head on kickoffs, and if 3rd down defenses are as stout as jello (without the carrot shreddings), fans have every right to both criticize, and not be patronized by their beloved coach for it.

Thanks.

Real.Men.Wear.Blue
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Does Mendenhall think you are an idiot?

Post by Real.Men.Wear.Blue »

I completely agree with you regarding Bronco's comment. While I understand his frustration with fan comments (although likely no greater than the fans' frustration with the total lack of preparation against FSU), he is a public figure coaching a high profile NCAA football team. Criticism from fans, who contribute to pay his salary, is part of the game. Even if his thoughts are meritorious, there is no reason to call out your own fans in public and suggest that they are clueless. Don't get me wrong. I don't think Max should be benched in favor of Riley Nelson, but Hall has made some serious mental errors that will eventually cost BYU a game against better competition. Fans are entitled to be vocal about that fact without the head coach dismissing their concerns, or even worse, calling them uneducated idiots.

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

I think people are reading too much into Bronco's comment---I'm positive he's thinking of the doofus fans that scream idiotic things as they go into the locker room at halftime and not your typical fan who is concerned about Max's performance.

That said, saying what he did to any news source is a terrible idea from a PR angle.

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

Not that Bronco has ever cared whatsoever for good PR.

Real.Men.Wear.Blue
Gray Shirt

Post by Real.Men.Wear.Blue »

Sammich wrote:Not that Bronco has ever cared whatsoever for good PR.
That's part of the problem. As a public figure who is paid more than half-a-million dollars annually, part of his job is to properly manage public relations. He is the face of BYU football. You can't just dismiss that critical aspect of your job or pretend it doesn't exist.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

It's no secret that Bronco isn't a terribly big fan of the media, and I think he has a bit of steam under his collar about the boos his first season--he mentions those boos everytime he addresses the Cougar Club.

While I understand what Bronco was trying to say here, and while I tend to agree with his general observation--that most fans think every offensive play is designed for a touchdown and every defensive play is designed for a TFL and don't understand anything beyond that--he needs to get over it and accept that as the cold hard truth about his job. Those are his constituents and it is his job to keep them happy by winning games and putting a fun product on the field while he's at it.

One of the most knowledgeable fan bases out there is Nebraska. Granted, the good people of that state don't have much else to do in the fall and winter other than follow the Huskers, but a good part of it has to do with Tom Osborne and the way he dealt with the media. He used his interviews as a chance to educate when he thought there was a misperception among the fans or when some understanding might enlighten. Bronco seems more intent on toeing the company line and dropping pearls of CEO wisdom. As much as he reminds us that the players are standard bearers of the institution and the Church, I think he might be forgetting that he is the most visible member of the BYU team year-in-year-out.

Educate the fans. Don't belittle them for being passionate, thobeit less informed. Welcome the passion, but help steer it in a more positive direction.

[clarification--I am a huge Bronco fan, and I think BYU should retain him at all costs [unless he goes on a heroin bender in Vegas this weekend] just saying he could do a better job interfacing with the fans]

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

One area where Bronco could certainly improve is handling of the media. On the other hand, we have for the first time, a major coach who is willing to say exactly what he thinks, without regard for how it will play out in the media. How often have we asked for that?

Mingjai
All-American

Post by Mingjai »

hawkwing wrote:One area where Bronco could certainly improve is handling of the media. On the other hand, we have for the first time, a major coach who is willing to say exactly what he thinks, without regard for how it will play out in the media. How often have we asked for that?
Say what you want about Pete Carroll, but I think he does a good job of being both media accessible and talking his mind (see his Mark Sanchez comments).

ProV1
Sophomore

Post by ProV1 »

hawkwing wrote:One area where Bronco could certainly improve is handling of the media.
Yeah, but look at the idiots he consistently has to deal with...Tom Kirkland, PK and DJ, Gordon Monson. All the local guys would drive me crazy.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

ProV1 wrote:
hawkwing wrote:One area where Bronco could certainly improve is handling of the media.
Yeah, but look at the idiots he consistently has to deal with...Tom Kirkland, PK and DJ, Gordon Monson. All the local guys would drive me crazy.
Who is worse? Franchuk or Monson? With reporters like these is it any surprise that the media is dying?