5-1 Midseason Musings

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

5-1 Midseason Musings

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

At this time of posting, I celebrate a 5-1 season. BYU just lost its first game in what, the last 14? No matter this turnover nonsense in what I would call the worst 2nd quarter I have seen in some time. BYU has the capability of playing with anyone at anytime.

I imagine we will be bowl eligible this season, which I admit was a lofty expectation given this schedule.

If Tyler Allgeier continues healthy and productive we have a Heisman potential player.

Cincinnati is about a year ahead of us, but we are close. I think we will remain a top 20 team and give Baylor our best shot. Kalani has leveled up the program, and the depth has improved, but sustaining depth over a whole season is still a challenge in the program. Week 6 without a bye against a Boise St team hell bent revenge = problem.

Kalani gets extra points for the Ws over instate rivals. The regional rivalry with the Broncos continues to be a thorn. I hated this loss. The win over AZ ST looks even more impressive. I think Kalani circles the wagons and goes ok, let's keep getting better. To have the team in top 10 discussion = success. We will have to fight our way back after a bad 4 turnover loss. It may be a one loss season. I was thinking well before this week that a loss of 1 of these 3 BSU, Baylor, Virginia would be an incredible success. Got to turn it around this week Cougars.

Maybe we think of this as an out of conference loss? We shall be motivated against Baylor. This is a new rivalry series in the Big12. The Baylor BYU match up will be fun to see. BYU will respond this week. And then beat Virgina too. These are my mid-season thoughts.

I am incredibly proud of our 2020 season also still. I am filled with gratitude for the overall state of the program.

5-1 ain't bad. Not at all. In fact, it is really good. Go Cougs.

Fido
All Star

Re: 5-1 Midseason Musings

Post by Fido »

If you had told me BYU would be 5-1 against this schedule at the half-way point I probably would have smiled and thought you had your blue goggles on.

This season is still a big success so far. I'm less confident in our next 3 games. I could see wins coming out of it or also see this turn into a losing skid bringing everyone back to a reality that BYU is very good but not great. I could see 8-4 a possibility--but am hoping for better.

KingCoug
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by KingCoug »

I'm not interested in putting lipstick on a pig. I hate losing even more than I love winning and there's nothing worse than when you lose by beating yourself with turnovers. Nothing.

There's no excuse for how crappy we played. Think about it - Boise only got into the end zone when we gave them the ball inside our own 25 yard line. The rest was all FGs.

This team just looked flat for much of the game. Reminded me of some Bronco-era games where we killed ourselves with turnovers. A big reason we were 5-0 was because we won the turnover battle. Did the coaches forget that? Did the team start believing their own headlines?

What sucks is, we're still in the boat where you go to the same bowl game with 1 loss or 6 losses. Maybe that will change in the Big 12 but that's in the future. We will drop like a rock in the polls.

I'd like to see the team bounce back but odds are we're 5-2 after next week. Even before today I was expecting a loss to Baylor. No excuse for today. We just plain crapped our pants on ABC. At home. Against a team that supposedly couldn't run the ball and had several starters out.

Friggin' ridiculous.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2022/team/byu

When I look at the 2022 schedule, I can say we have a 1-2 loss season next year, as I consider a 5-1 season so far.

And I excuse the Jaren Hall interception. You toss it up in a late 4th quarter desperation. I mean, why not?

Go Cougs, beat Baylor. Come hell or high-water this season might have 2 losses max. I like the overall development of the program. I like how BYU is playing ball with anyone and has reached to top 10 national relevance. I think over the next 2-3 years we see a peak season and go 0 or 1 loss.

Major changes in how much depth our program sustains throughout a whole season going on. We do really well for 5 games but are now having a mid-season challenge. I am okay with this. Beating state rivals, the Pac12 teams, and then 2 of 3 of VA/Baylor/USC = wildly successful season.

These are my mid-season musings. Go Cougs

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

In the future, this would be a good time for a bye week.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

scott715 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:45 pm In the future, this would be a good time for a bye week.
Yeah, who scheduled our bye week right before we play a couple patsies? We needed the bye week after the ASU game.