Rivalry fans

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Rivalry fans

Post by EM_Puma »

Yes, I have always believed USU to be a "rival" to BYU. It's kind of like it has been said a lot this week locally on radio that if there is a prize (wagon wheel) that has been established between the two teams, then that makes it a rivalry game. There is obviously different levels of rivalry games. It was just that USU went quite a spell with sub-performing teams (a few decades plus). The last decade have been actually more competitive, but it is a game that gets people's blood pressure raised.

To me, it was absolutely foolworthy for USU admin to have created the scenario they did by putting their student section so close to the BYU bench. It's been established that USU fans have a bit of that same "bite" of a fan that is so anti-BYU (for religious and other reasons) that they have been and will be extremely vulgar. So USU's admin blew it with that move.

But...BYU players need to be above what some of their behavior was in the USU game near the end and ignore them. I know that's tough. Every time I get flipped off driving by someone who actually doesn't know what they are doing driving, I understand the concept of "road rage". I've been a bit more successful lately instead of returning their one finger salute to blow them a kiss--which irritates them even more (and I guess I like that), but BYU needs to be better than that behavior.

Fido
All Star

Re: Rivalry fans

Post by Fido »

By accounts on twitter, the players did blow off the behavior--until they started looking up profiles of the married players and insulting their wives by name.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Fido wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:45 am By accounts on twitter, the players did blow off the behavior--until they started looking up profiles of the married players and insulting their wives by name.
That's why it was surprising to me yesterday to read so many comments by USU fans posting how as if this was mostly BYU's fault. I had no doubt the insults had gotten more vulgar and direct with the opportunity provided by USU to be that close to the BYU player's bench. USU fans know this of their fans. Same as Utah fans. There are those of those two groups that are appalled by the behavior of some of their fans, because, as noted many times, it's usually not the sport involved, but personal feelings being delivered by these particular USU fans that are diametrically opposed to the Church. Yet, the populous does little about it.

It is what it is and hopefully the nimrod that gave approval for this move has been reprimanded and this will not happen again. I would hope that TH would refuse to send our team to a facility that was so bent on allowing such fracas to happen. No one is surprised whatsoever that what happened, happened.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

I heard it was their coach. It's poor sportsmanship. Utah State is a good school with a lot of good kids there including returned missionaries so they need to control this.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

I will need to give my USU coworker heck over this!

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

byufan4ever wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:29 am I will need to give my USU coworker heck over this!
Definitely make sure to make a dig at his wife's Insta while you're at it. ;)

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

redneckjedi wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:34 am
byufan4ever wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:29 am I will need to give my USU coworker heck over this!
Definitely make sure to make a dig at his wife's Insta while you're at it. ;)
Yeah, I know you're joking, but I'm gonna show my class and not stoop to that. Besides, I actually like this guy. But he is a big USU fan so on our staff meeting tomorrow besides letting everyone know who has the Wagon Wheel I am going to let it be known how classless some of the Aggie fans are.

I know I'm going on a bit of a rant here, but I really think the sportsmanship that players are supposed to have needs to addressed to fans of all sports and teams. It's just sickening how rude and hateful some fans are to each other.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

I was really surprised with KS's response on the issue of USU moving BYU's bench to be so near to the USU students. The man has a future in politics. He seems to quickly sidestep all issues. He said he loved the USU student section. I guess that's the best response for the HC of a team, but I still am shocked that the AD believed this was a good idea to create a potential power keg to of a situation. He's probably one of these guys that talk of the days of wearing no seatbelts and riding in the back of pickup trucks.

Disagree with you KS, I understand you want to incite none of your opponents, but his response sounded like he was thoroughly glad they had done it. Hmm. :roll:

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

This is why BYU puts the gray hairs (Im headed there quickly, lol) behind the visitors bench.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

So I just talked with my USU coworker and he said that they have been putting the student section by the opposing since the beginning of the season and it wasn't just for BYU. He was at the BSU game and he said that they did it then.