Hall or Romney?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Hall or Romney?

Post by byufan4ever »

First of all, it's great to have two awesome QBs. I imagine that Hall is the popular emotional pick for most BYU fans, but Romney has a following as well.

There are several attributes that make for a great QB and here's how I see it. Hall is clearly better at running. Romney is no slouch either, but Hall is just more dynamic. Romney is clearly the better passer. Hall can't even throw a spiral. I just don't see how anyone can argue that Romney isn't the better passer. Now there are other things like decision making, leadership, and the "it" factor. Maybe Hall is better in those areas and that makes him the better overall QB.

I'm not a coach and I don't see them at practice. But my armchair analysis is that Romney is right up there with Hall as far as being capable to be our #1 QB for the entire season even with a healthy Hall. I'm not dissing on Hall, but it seems like many fans are outright dismissing Romney saying that he's not in the same league as Hall and I totally disagree with that.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
scott715
TV Analyst

Re: Hall or Romney?

Post by scott715 »

Well now we are seeing where Conover fits in.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

I love them both. We are going to need one of them to get healthy before the BSU game though or we are going to get our first loss. Conover looked like a 3rd string guy this game.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

I'll take Hall or Romney. Pleeeeeease, either one. If Conover is our starter, this undefeated streak comes to an end right quick.

I like the grit this team has. They find a way to win. But we need people to heal up, and we need to play better on defense (yes, they stepped up enough in the second half), or it's all going to catch up with us and we will be looking at a loss.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

KingCoug wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:44 am I'll take Hall or Romney. Pleeeeeease, either one. If Conover is our starter, this undefeated streak comes to an end right quick.

I like the grit this team has. They find a way to win. But we need people to heal up, and we need to play better on defense (yes, they stepped up enough in the second half), or it's all going to catch up with us and we will be looking at a loss.
The only reason the defense "stepped up" in the second half was because their starting QB hurt himself and the backup couldn't throw. If that hadn't happened, USU would have scored another TD and we would have had another 7 point win instead of 14 points.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

So we need to get our QB hurt then.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Well I guess I cursed Romney, sorry about that! Rumors are that Hall and Romney are both out for Boise St. I have to imagine that with Romney's concussion that he'll be out at least two weeks if not longer. For Hall it just depends on how bad his ribs are and how long they take to heal. Conover definitely looked like a third stringer, but perhaps with a full week of first string reps he'll look better.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Hall is better. Romney is amazing.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I'm happy and confident with either. But the offense looks much more explosive with Romney's deep-ball precision. Hall just doesn't have that third-level accuracy to really stretch a defense vertically the way Romney does.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

hawkwing wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:37 pm Hall is better. Romney is amazing.
Funny I was thinking that Hall is amazing but Romney is better.

BYU is lucky to have both