tuiaki

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

tuiaki

Post by BroncoBot »

Everyone gushing over tuiaki defense right now. And I'll admit the last 2 years he seems to be rapidly improving. My question is, where was this defense vs Utah for the past 4-5 years? Was he waiting for the utah 2021 game specifically to shock them with first and second down blitz packages, or did he simply not have the personnel in years past.

I hope we see more of the defense that we saw on saturday going forward. It was nice of him to keep it a secret vs AZ where we saw a very predictable and vanilla defense typical of tuiaki.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: tuiaki

Post by hawkwing »

BYU did get a new LB coach with defensive coordinator experience. It may be that he is acting as a bit of a mentor or bringing in some new ideas with Tuiaki. I have no idea.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I think a doppelganger has taken over him. Or he has developed a split personality.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Well, I am a well documented skeptic of Tuiaki. I have hated watching his defense play, even for parts of last season even though we physically overwhelmed a lot of that schedule. I hate, hate, hate his 3 man rushes. Having said that, if he has indeed matured, or got the personnel that he needs to run a defense like we saw on Saturday, this team can be very good. That was a physical attacking defense, like we haven't seen since Bronco left. I hope it continues.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

hawkwing wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:45 pm BYU did get a new LB coach with defensive coordinator experience. It may be that he is acting as a bit of a mentor or bringing in some new ideas with Tuiaki. I have no idea.
Imagine a LB coach mentoring his boss the DC? LOL. I hope that this is really Tuiaki calling the shots and he has improved. But yeah, I'm not so sure that someone else isn't calling the defensive shots. Either way, I love what I see so far!

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins