2021 CFB rosters

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

2021 CFB rosters

Post by EM_Puma »

Not fond of quoting Brett McMurphy, but I don't think as much attention has been drawn to this issue as should be. This one extra year of eligibility is going to cost many programs a lot of frustration. This will be the worse year ever to have been a high school senior as the scholarship options are going to be significantly diminished.

It's going to me very difficult for the coaches to decide whether to keep a senior that is marginal vs a prospective freshman and also figure out possibilities with portal transfers. I believe it was a bit crazy for NCAA to grant an additional year to this year's players if they weren't going to increase the number of scholarships available. And, on the other side of that, if the NCAA did grant more, that would make it very difficult for a lot of colleges to afford such a scenario.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2021 CFB rosters

Post by Fido »

It makes me wonder if many of these guys are going to find the market for their services for a scholarship very light--and end up either going back to their team to try and get a scholarship back or end up dropping to lower level teams. USU is one who could benefit as they are in a bit of turmoil at the moment. Without a bunch of new freshmen coming in they could probably take advantage of the transfer portal if some players were hunting for a new home.