I've given up hope on adding a game

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: I've given up hope on adding a game

Post by Fido »

This of course also means that the Army game is officially off as no remaining dates are open for Army.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Top-20 matchup a go between BYU, Coastal Carolina

https://www.ksl.com/article/50060121/to ... l-carolina

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

From MrytleBeach online (Costal Carolina is 14 miles from Myrtle Beach--a place I thoroughly have enjoyed):

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sport ... 73045.html

Someone on Cougarboard last evening had posted that they saw the BYU football semi leaving the campus and followed it all the way to I-15 (they said it headed northbound). It was someone who had not posted before and usually that means some Ute troll just playing with us. This article has the tweet from BYU Equipment showing the trucking rolling out last night bound for Coastal Carolina and ESPN Game Day!

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Fido wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:09 am This of course also means that the Army game is officially off as no remaining dates are open for Army.
Awe. So sad. ;)

Like that game was ever going to happen. Interesting team. As noted, in the last decade, BYU had reached an agreement for a home/home matchup with Army. Subsequently, Army asked out of the deal, before the season the games were set to be played and no one ever gave us a reason why they would opt out of the matchup. So when our postponed game never got rescheduled, even when both teams had open dates, it has become obvious that for some reason Army just doesn't really have a lot of ambition of playing BYU and I have no idea why.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Hard not to enjoy Boney Fuller

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

A funny tweet from Stewart Mandel, who had given us grief on our schedule when we didn't accept the Washington game that never would have happened.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

In total honesty, I had the thought that we shouldn't play anyone, except a team from a P5 conference, but the only ones we would have had a chance at were PAC12, and their total control-freak approach to any NC opponents was a real turn off, so I had decided we'd probably benefit best by no additional games.

In reality, although they would never admit it, this season the PAC12 needed BYU way more than BYU needed them if they wanted even a sniff of the NFP foursome.

But, I'm okay with this matchup. Yes, we might have blown an opportunity at a NY6 game, because that is exactly where a loss will take us, totally out of contention, but it's the best opportunity to be able to move up a couple of slots in the CFP ranking and secure an "at-large" NY6 birth. At BYU, we know that having a Heisman-esq QB doesn't come around very often, and he'll be gone next season.

BYU has actually benefited from this COVID-19 season more than most teams as few preseason unranked teams ever make it to the Coaches/AP Top 10 like we have this season. Taking this game is like going for the two-point conversion and the certain win when a simple point-after-field goal would have have at least tied up the game to give us a chance in overtime.

We're going for it!
8) :crazy: :love:

a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

I love that this is happening!

If they lose this game then the playoff committee was right in ranking BYU as low as they have and all the chatter about BYU being a good team was for not. But who cares at least they tried and are playing the game!

If BYU wins this game then there should be no reason for them not to be in the top 10. What more would they have to prove.

But I'm willing to bet if BYU does win the committee will discredit the win because Costal Carolina is a non traditional power house team and BYU just exposed them and their weak schedule.
I just don't believe the committee is ever going to give BYU a chance to sniff an NY6 bowl. Especially with so many bowl games getting canceled. Thats even less money for those P5 conferences, there's just no way they let BYU in and give up an additional 6.5 million dollars.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

The problem with the game is that there is no guarantee that either team will benefit from a win as far as CFP rankings are concerned.

BYU wins -- you can say BYU was underranked, or Coastal Carolina was overranked and ask "who has BYU beaten other than a grossly overranked CCU team on aqua turf?"

CCU wins -- they can say BYU was overrranked and CCU proved what the committee feared all along.

It's a great get, but I'm not holding my breath that a BYU win of any sort is going to have much impact on a self-serving CFP committee who has strong financial incentive to keep BYU low.

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

Regardless of the CFP committee and their ranking next week, I am so happy and excited that BYU isn't sitting on the sideline again this weekend. College Game Day??? Who woulda thunk it??? Fantastic!!!