Why not

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Why not

Post by a1247 »

If BYU does get hosed out of a NY6 bowl like I think everyone believes and ends up getting an invite to a game like the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl which no one wants, including the players.

Why not instead decline the invite and make up their own bowl game and play Utah?

This is 2020 nothing is normal nothing makes sense so why not just make up a bowl game and invite Utah to play it. It doesn't have to be a sanctioned bowl game, heck call it a "scrimmage" if you have too. I'm sure ESPN would be interested they could call it the Holy War Bowl. See if Vegas would be interested in having it in the new stadium.

BYU is getting hosed this year, the pandemic destroyed a good schedule the selection committee is punishing BYU for being the only team in the west to scramble and put together a schedule, yes a weak schedule but at least they did it and played. So why not flip a middle finger to everyone and make your own bowl game and let the holy war be played. The PAC12 is hurting for money so why not let another one of their teams play an extra game and collect a few extra dollars. Especially if Utah doesn't win on Saturday against Washington. If they lose they won't be going to a bowl game this year. Thats one less team for Larry Scott to cash in on in a bowl game.

Again I know it sounds ridiculous but so does everything else thats happened in 2020. So WHY NOT!

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Why not

Post by scott715 »

I am back to my previous idea about joining the AAC this year.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

The utes don't want anything to do with BYU this year. The rivalry isn't going to happen.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

BYU needs money this year.

Bowls make money through TV distribution, sponsorships, and ticket sales.

Ticket sales will be minimal, if any, and it is WAAAAY late in the game to be setting up distribution and sponsorships. I think setting up your own bowl this year would be a losing proposition.

a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by a1247 »

snoscythe wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:34 pm BYU needs money this year.

Bowls make money through TV distribution, sponsorships, and ticket sales.

Ticket sales will be minimal, if any, and it is WAAAAY late in the game to be setting up distribution and sponsorships. I think setting up your own bowl this year would be a losing proposition.
I 100% agree with what your saying but in all fairness isn't pretty much ever bowl outside of the NY6 or playoffs a losing proposition? Especially the bowl games BYU will get stuck playing in if they don't get an NY6 bowl.