BYU vs Houston game thread

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU vs Houston game thread

Post by BoiseBYU »

In addition to Wilson’s play, defense rose to the occasion. Houston only had 20 yards in the fourth quarter. Much credit to them.

Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Sammich »

The O-line and D-line really stepped up on both sides, and Zach/Milne played lights-out. And some tough secondary play in those last couple drives. This is a tough team to come back from that much difficulty and frustration to dominate again.

Sharper
Recruit

Post by Sharper »

Defense lost their way for a bit in the middle, but pulled it out to keep Houston down for the incredible offensive performance with missing so many players.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

They got aggressive

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

I don't understand why it took byu so long to mix up the pass rush. The first 2 and half quarters it was pretty much just a straight 3 man bull rush and then half way through the 3rd quarter they started rushing 4 and doing stunts and mixing it up. Once they did that Houstons oline and qb looked confused. They look like they didn't know what to do. This is also about that time they went to man coverage and that REALLY messed with Houston. I'm pretty sure they hadn't prepared for that at all. I also noticed this was about the time it looked like KS was making some defensive calls. What took so long to adjust and was KS making the calls and was the adjustments made only because KS stepped in? These are some of the questions I'd love to see get answered but I know they won't come out and say anything.
Really it doesn't matter they won! That game took us from the highest of highs to lowest of lowes back to the highest of highs again. I can admit halfway through the 2nd quarter I had to walk away. I was disgusted and couldn't watch. I came back and watched the last 3 minutes of the half. I accepted they were going to lose and watched knowing that there next game isn't a guarantee because of covid. I'd rather watch them lose then not watch at all.
Go cougs and thanks for an amazing game!

PS where are all the Zack haters and Romney should be starting. That talk sure has died!

vancouvercougar
All-American

Post by vancouvercougar »

We could have run out the clock when we were up 36 - 26, but I’m glad we scored that last TD

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

a1247 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:30 am That game took us from the highest of highs to lowest of lowes back to the highest of highs again. I can admit halfway through the 2nd quarter I had to walk away. I was disgusted and couldn't watch.
As I usually do with tight games to decrease my anxiety, I tape them and just check along the way. When I saw that we had gone from 14-3 up to 14-26 down I almost thought it was over. I did watch the last 3 minutes and then watched BYUtv post game show. Then I watched the whole game. Even fast forwarding through commercials and halftime, I didn't finish watching the game until a few minutes after 3 a.m. All those penalties and reviews made that game go so long!

Great game blue Cougars! :crazy:
Last edited by EM_Puma on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

GAKunkel
Recruit

Post by GAKunkel »

Rumors on Twitter are that Kalani took over play calling on defense. I have no idea if that is true, but the defense sure looked different/better.

Secondary definitely stepped up. Maybe Harper getting falsely penalized inspired them, but what a game. Wow!

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

One of the most savored take-aways from the game was that BYU had given in to Houston to allow them to have this as their home game when it was scheduled for Provo and we did it or Houston would have cancelled. One, it sounds like we had as many fans as they did, and we still beat them in their own house!

:evil: :angry: :evil: :angry: :evil: :angry:

a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

EM_Puma wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:12 am
a1247 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:30 am That game took us from the highest of highs to lowest of lowes back to the highest of highs again. I can admit halfway through the 2nd quarter I had to walk away. I was disgusted and couldn't watch.
As I usually do with tight games to decrease my anxiety, I tape them and just check along the way. When I saw that we had gone from 14-3 up to 14-26 down I almost thought it was over. I did watch the last 3 minutes and then watched BYUtv post game show. Then I watched the whole game. Even fast forwarding through commercials and halftime, I didn't finish watching the game until a few minutes after 3 a.m. All those penalties and reviews made that game go so long!

Great game blue Cougars! :crazy:
I got up this morning and rewatched from the 2nd quarter on fast forwarding through most of it. Its easier to watch when your not mentally invested in the game. I can sit back and watch everything going on around the ball and not fixate on the ball.