Lack of preparation but half time adjustments

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Lack of preparation but half time adjustments

Post by hawkwing »

So we all know that this staff has had multiple failures in properly preparing for games, the latest and one of the reasons why they struggled so badly on offense is due to the stadium noise. Wilson said that the line couldn't hear the snap calls and it through the entire offense off, later, in the 2nd half they switched to a silent snap count and the offense ran smoother.

Here's my problem with this, Tennessee is well known as being one of the loudest game time experiences in the country. They just lost to a crappy team and would be fighting to avoid starting 0-2 for the first time in 30+ years. Of course it was going to be loud.

The coaches said they didn't practice or prepare silent counts because they didn't expect it to be loud. I am glad that they were able to make adjustments and implement a silent count in the 2nd half, but in my opinion BYU should have gone in prepared to start silent and then once they shut-up the crowd utilize a traditional snap count.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Lack of preparation but half time adjustments

Post by Mars »

They would have been prepared, I'm sure, but the coaches took that day off. And the next.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

hawkwing wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:16 am The coaches said they didn't practice or prepare silent counts because they didn't expect it to be loud. I am glad that they were able to make adjustments and implement a silent count in the 2nd half, but in my opinion BYU should have gone in prepared to start silent and then once they shut-up the crowd utilize a traditional snap count.
I heard in one interview of KS after the game that they had simulated noise in practice the week before, but the noise on the field far exceeded their expectations and the noise had had experienced in other facilities (i.e. Camp Randall Stadium). I would think if you are simulating a noise situation that you would go overboard rather than "underboard" (if there is such a word). I was surprised by that, but as I think about it, I don't know that they would have been able to estimate the decibels of the crowd noise by guessing, seeing as though none had experienced it before.

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

Wouldn't Williams the new running back have played at Tennessee?

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Qman wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:38 am Wouldn't Williams the new running back have played at Tennessee?
He has.

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

And surely Grimes would have been to Tennessee multiple times as the O-line coach for multiple teams in the SEC and definitely would have paid attention to it.
I don't get it. Sitake may not have experienced it, but his OC had. Where's the breakdown?

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Qman wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:38 am Wouldn't Williams the new running back have played at Tennessee?

I knew he had played against them because one of the TN fans had mentioned how he had "torched them" before, but I never looked if any of the games had actually been in Leyland.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

CrimsonCoug wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:42 pm And surely Grimes would have been to Tennessee multiple times as the O-line coach for multiple teams in the SEC and definitely would have paid attention to it.
I don't get it. Sitake may not have experienced it, but his OC had. Where's the breakdown?
Great question.