Observations from the game

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Observations from the game

Post by EM_Puma »

So why does the down marker say "Vols" at the bottom of the number? I believe that's a bit pretentious as the line crew should be impartial, but you don't look impartial if you have the home team's name on your equipment.

What was the deal with Ty'Son Williams not having his name on his jersey?

Why in the ESPN broadcast of the game did the TV crew note that we had a player playing DB, number 11 (Isaiah Herron), whose name they stated hadn't been provided to them pre-game so they didn't know who it was? He's on the roster on the BYU athletic website. They seemed to be put-off by that slip of decorum on the part of BYU.

What's the deal with DL Atunaisa Mahe (#62). I hadn't heard any talk of him before this game and he was a beast out there. He had zero statistical impact in our game vs Puketah (what I'm saying is I don't even know if he played in the game) and then yesterday he has 3 solo tackles and a QB hurry. He's only a freshman and is an RM, so he'll be here for the next 4. Defensive linemen just don't suddenly pop out of no where.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Re: Observations from the game

Post by BoiseBYU »

Good observations. Our Oline seemed harder pressed to protect Wilson. And TN ran it well except on fourth downs :). We continue to have trouble putting pressure on the QB. Dawe has a future at shot put. Or at least shoe tossing. Wonder why a penalty wasn’t called? Williams is a very good runner. He seems like he could handle 20-25 carries a game. Simon has played solid this year and of course had a great game. Tonga has been sort of quiet these two games. Maybe they’re double teaming him? Nice to see Fonua with a huge defensive effort. Defense did something right the second half, giving up only 3 points. Kalani knows how to enjoy a good play. Kicking and punting have done us very well the first two weeks. SC has some VERY good receivers. It will be a long night if we can’t pressure their FM QB. Stanford couldn’t....I’m surprised SC is only favored by 3.....

vancouvercougar
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by vancouvercougar »

EM_Puma wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:12 pm
What was the deal with Ty'Son Williams not having his name on his jersey?
Williams had his name on the jersey at the beginning but his jersey was ripped, so he used a backup jersey for the rest of the game

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Thanks, missed that one. I didn't watch film close enough to notice if Kyris is getting double-teamed and that's adding to Mahe having a more free-hand on the DL, but he seemed to make the most of the opportunity and the bottom line is we all don't care who gets the job done as long as someone does.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

I thought Mahe was subbing in for Tonga because Khyiris is out of shape, but that's just my guess.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars