biggest gripe after Utah game?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

biggest gripe after Utah game?

Post by BroncoBot »

Ben Criddle asked a question that I thought was interesting.
What's the biggest gripe following the Utah loss?
For me? that we had Wilson throwing so much game one coming off a shoulder surgery. I've only seen highlights of the game (couldn't watch the game). but was the run game so ineffective that we needed to put the entire offense on Wilson's shoulder? Williams had 7 touched. Wilson had 8 (which I assume many were not planned runs). otherwise we had 7 other run attempts it appears.

Any thoughts?
What is your biggest gripe?

KingCoug
All-American

Re: biggest gripe after Utah game?

Post by KingCoug »

Us losing a 9th straight time (and at home) is my biggest gripe.

Actually, no it's not. That's only a biproduct of a bigger, more systemic problem with the program as a whole.

But, if you're just talking the game itself?

TURNOVERS!!!!!!!!!!

Take away our turnovers that we've given to Utah and the record over the past 9 games looks very different.

I'll say it again. The 2006 team was the best team BYU has had in nearly 20 years. A big reason for that was THEY DIDN'T TURN THE BALL OVER!!!!!

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

KingCoug wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:50 pm Us losing a 9th straight time (and at home) is my biggest gripe.

Actually, no it's not. That's only a biproduct of a bigger, more systemic problem with the program as a whole.

TURNOVERS!!!!!!!!!!

Take away our turnovers that we've given to Utah and the record over the past 9 games looks very different.

I'll say it again. The 2006 team was the best team BYU has had in nearly 20 years. A big reason for that was THEY DIDN'T TURN THE BALL OVER!!!!!
All three turnovers led to utah TDs, no? I can't remember if the fumble did.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

BroncoBot wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:12 pm
KingCoug wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:50 pm Us losing a 9th straight time (and at home) is my biggest gripe.

TURNOVERS!!!!!!!!!!

This game and several others. Utah has had a ton of defensive TDs that ended up winning multiple games. All because our stinking coaches, past and present, don't know how to teach ball security. Friggin' pathetic.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by a1247 »

Can someone please explain to me how Utah has 9 pick sixes against the cougs since 2010. How is that even remotely possible?

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

a1247 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:48 pm Can someone please explain to me how Utah has 9 pick sixes against the cougs since 2010. How is that even remotely possible?
Coaching (or lack thereof)

And who hires the coaches?

CougarCrazy
BLUEshirt

Post by CougarCrazy »

KingCoug wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:15 pm
a1247 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:48 pm Can someone please explain to me how Utah has 9 pick sixes against the cougs since 2010. How is that even remotely possible?

They would rather shut down the program than hire Mike Leach, but they could have. We’d be winning football games if they had hired him and left him alone.

I’m tired of the defense. I think they are in over their heads. No pressure is ridiculous. Who has that ever worked for?

I’m more tired of hiring inexperienced OCs

I’m tired of any ties to the Judas coaching tree. That won’t work at BYU.

BYU administration isn’t in it for real, or they are arrogant and think they are different than everyone else. They need to pay coaches and bring in top experienced talent.

I am pleased with the talent in the program. I think BYU will need risk taking to win, but there is enough talent to make things interesting.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

CougarCrazy wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:56 pm

They would rather shut down the program than hire Mike Leach, but they could have. We’d be winning football games if they had hired him and left him alone.

I’m tired of the defense. I think they are in over their heads. No pressure is ridiculous. Who has that ever worked for?

BYU administration isn’t in it for real, or they are arrogant and think they are different than everyone else. They need to pay coaches and bring in top experienced talent.

I am pleased with the talent in the program. I think BYU will need risk taking to win, but there is enough talent to make things interesting.
I think they're afraid - and for good reason - that hiring an inactive or non-LDS HC will result in the player scandals we got with Crowton. I like Leach but Anderson is a more realistic option. But I'm not sure Holmoe has even called him.

CougarCrazy
BLUEshirt

Post by CougarCrazy »

KingCoug wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:53 pm
CougarCrazy wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:56 pm

I think they're afraid - and for good reason - that hiring an inactive or non-LDS HC will result in the player scandals we got with Crowton. I like Leach but Anderson is a more realistic option. But I'm not sure Holmoe has even called him.
Lol and for good reason. He tweets about Texas Tech screwing him out of money regularly. Washington State doesn’t have the big picture issues and risk BYU does.

BYU has lots of challenges. Deciding not to pay talent shouldn’t be one of them.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

BroncoBot wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:12 pm

TURNOVERS!!!!!!!!!!

Yep. 3 TDs and 20 points off of 3 turnovers. But we still would've lost because Tuiaki couldn't stop Moss by rushing 3 and dropping 8.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars