This article (from the most unlikely of sources) nails it!

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: This article (from the most unlikely of sources) nails it!

Post by snoscythe »

The day BYU "adjusts" the Honor Code or other standards to facilitate the success of its athletic programs is the day BYU becomes just another school to me.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

snoscythe wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:54 am The day BYU "adjusts" the Honor Code or other standards to facilitate the success of its athletic programs is the day BYU becomes just another school to me.
I agree Sno.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

snoscythe wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:54 am The day BYU "adjusts" the Honor Code or other standards to facilitate the success of its athletic programs is the day BYU becomes just another school to me.
Word is that is was adjusted too harshly after Crowton. What if it was adjusted back slightly towards the other direction? It would be easier than now, but tougher than it was for Lavell.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Mars wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:42 am
Word is that is was adjusted too harshly after Crowton. What if it was adjusted back slightly towards the other direction? It would be easier than now, but tougher than it was for Lavell.
Mendenhall was just getting the green light to bring in more non member type athletes when he left.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:46 pm Back in the day when Lavell was dominating, BYU was recruiting and getting athletes through the school that would never be allowed on campus today. That is why BYU is little brother to both the utes and USU now.
I don't believe back in that day there were as many blue-chip LDS kids that didn't go to BYU, but somehow it became acceptable to not. I don't know what the difference was or is in that regard. Is this a millennial thing? Most issues these days seem to be blamed on that issue. And yes, Edwards was either blind or turned his head from many things that were going on that I don't believe go on today because we're so much more transparent.

IMHO, Puketah's success has mainly come about by their ability to bring in the poly players that couldn't hack the honor code, sprinkled with a few RM's. It's not an equal playing field. I had hoped that just because of the number of gifted LDS athletes was increasing that we'd be able to stem the tide, but we haven't. That's also partly because more and more blue-chippers are going to other G5 teams.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

EM_Puma wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:03 pm
frdbtr wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:46 pm Back in the day when Lavell was dominating, BYU was recruiting and getting athletes through the school that would never be allowed on campus today. That is why BYU is little brother to both the utes and USU now.
I don't believe back in that day there were as many blue-chip LDS kids that didn't go to BYU, but somehow it became acceptable to not. I don't know what the difference was or is in that regard. Is this a millennial thing? Most issues these days seem to be blamed on that issue. And yes, Edwards was either blind or turned his head from many things that were going on that I don't believe go on today because we're so much more transparent.

IMHO, Puketah's success has mainly come about by their ability to bring in the poly players that couldn't hack the honor code, sprinkled with a few RM's. It's not an equal playing field. I had hoped that just because of the number of gifted LDS athletes was increasing that we'd be able to stem the tide, but we haven't. That's also partly because more and more blue-chippers are going to other G5 teams.
I don't think Lavell was blind or turning a blind eye to what was happening. I think the school was allowing him to handle the kids in his own way because there wasn't a microscope on athletes as bad then as there is now. Plus a lot of these kids are/were good kids that would make mistakes. I'm of the opinion that no one should ever be kicked out of the school for an honor code violation (unless it is a serial/serious offender), rather the school should be working with these kids through the repentance process and showing the savior's love to them and getting them to graduation.

a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

EM_Puma wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:03 pm

The honor code for some of these kids is an obvious concern, but the academic standards is probably the biggest factor. Along with Utah being a member of the PAC12.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

"through no real fault of the players themselves" :lol:

Classic Gordo. It was Sitake that handed the Utes two easy touchdowns off of interceptions and then dropped the ball on our own 25 yard line.

vancouvercougar
All-American

Post by vancouvercougar »

EXACTLY

But Lavell didn't have to deal with Facebook and Twitter. If a player wasn't keeping the BYU standards, most of the time nobody knew about it.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

ABYUFAN wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:54 am "through no real fault of the players themselves" :lol:

Classic Gordo. It was Sitake that handed the Utes two easy touchdowns off of interceptions and then dropped the ball on our own 25 yard line.
Players play as their coached. Turnovers against Utah have been an ongoing problem for years now.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director