At what point...

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: At what point...

Post by a1247 »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:51 pm
KingCoug wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:47 pm
BroncoBot wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:02 pm I'd need to see the cougs win out to want to give Kalani another year.
That's what it would take for me. OK Kalani, you want to keep your job? Win the next 11 games and bowl game, finishing 12-1.

Of course, he's not up to that but I'm just saying.
I've felt this way since early 2017, unfortunately our AD is happy to have a lead against the utes at some point in the season in order for our HC to keep his job.
I don't believe anyone is willing to do what needs to be done in order to be successful. From what I've seen they have a false belief that what they currently are doing will yield success. Either make changes or accept this is as good as it gets and be happy with the occasional upset here and there.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

a1247 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:31 pm
frdbtr wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:51 pm
KingCoug wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:47 pm
BroncoBot wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:02 pm I'd need to see the cougs win out to want to give Kalani another year.
That's what it would take for me. OK Kalani, you want to keep your job? Win the next 11 games and bowl game, finishing 12-1.

Of course, he's not up to that but I'm just saying.
I've felt this way since early 2017, unfortunately our AD is happy to have a lead against the utes at some point in the season in order for our HC to keep his job.
I don't believe anyone is willing to do what needs to be done in order to be successful. From what I've seen they have a false belief that what they currently are doing will yield success. Either make changes or accept this is as good as it gets and be happy with the occasional upset here and there.
And hear in lies the problem. I agree with you that our administration staff believes whole heartedly that what Sitake is doing is going to make us good in the future and that we are just going through growing pains. It is sad that so-called experts can't see the disaster that this coaching staff is. All you have to do is listen to Blaine Fowler and you know what the admin staff believes (even though he isn't a part of it he is an insider). They love Sitake.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

Ken is maybe 3rd on my list. No reason to hire him now, even if Kalani was fired.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Mars wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:15 pm Ken is maybe 3rd on my list. No reason to hire him now, even if Kalani was fired.
Who are #1 and 2?

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

KingCoug wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:28 pm
Mars wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:15 pm Ken is maybe 3rd on my list. No reason to hire him now, even if Kalani was fired.
Who are #1 and 2?
Darrell Bevell and Lance Anderson.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I think BYU needs to hire a coach that is not doing what nearly every other program is doing.

Watch BYU's offense, it's the same type of offense nearly every other team runs. But when you run up against better athletes we lose those battles. We need to be different. We can't just try to be better at being the same.

Whether that's a triple option or Run-and-shoot or double TE I-formation, BYU needs to be different.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

SpiffCoug wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:43 am I think BYU needs to hire a coach that is not doing what nearly every other program is doing.

Watch BYU's offense, it's the same type of offense nearly every other team runs. But when you run up against better athletes we lose those battles. We need to be different. We can't just try to be better at being the same.

Whether that's a triple option or Run-and-shoot or double TE I-formation, BYU needs to be different.
Agreed. We need an X's and O's innovator who can make up for lack of talent and depth with superior preparation and scheme.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

BroncoBot wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:53 pm after 4-9 and 7-6, loss at home to umass, niu. 4 straight losses to Utah, 3 straight losses to BSU, 2-1 vs USU...
yeah, I'm ok with seeing what someone else can do.
And I like the guy, too.
That's kind of where I'm at. It would be difficult to do much worse that what you mention above. Seriously, if that level of lack of success was acceptable, then we really all are just in for disappointment after disappointment.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

SpiffCoug wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:43 am I think BYU needs to hire a coach that is not doing what nearly every other program is doing.

Yeah this is pretty much the conclusion that I've come to.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

You mean like Lavell Edwards? The problem is, where is he and would he come to BYU? Is there someone who is under the radar, like Edwards was, that is working under someone else but has innovative ideas?Would he be a Latter Day Saint and not be caught up in making more money than the multi million dollar coaches? To put it another way, would loyalty be more important than wealth?

Without this I think we ought to schedule teams that play on our level rather than above our level.