Spring Game

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Spring Game

Post by Fido »

frdbtr wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:06 pm Mangum's speed has nothing to do with my point and you know it.
Your point is always how guys would be super awesome if our coaches didn't suck so bad. But hey, let's not be so salty. It is conference weekend after all.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Fido wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:05 am
frdbtr wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:06 pm Mangum's speed has nothing to do with my point and you know it.
Your point is always how guys would be super awesome if our coaches didn't suck so bad. But hey, let's not be so salty. It is conference weekend after all.
My point is that talent is being mismanaged because our current coaching staff doesn't know how to utilize it. My opinions on the current coaching staff have been quite clear. I hope like crazy that they figure it out this year and become good coaches but I just don't see it. The last 2 years, BYU should have won many more games than it has the last 2 years and it is because the team looks lost and unprepared to start games. Mangum looked like the next QB great in 15 and the last 2 years has looked like he didn't deserve a Div 1 scholarship and the only difference between his freshman year and the last 2 years is coaching.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

frdbtr wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:05 pm My point is that talent is being mismanaged because our current coaching staff doesn't know how to utilize it. My opinions on the current coaching staff have been quite clear. I hope like crazy that they figure it out this year and become good coaches but I just don't see it. The last 2 years, BYU should have won many more games than it has the last 2 years and it is because the team looks lost and unprepared to start games. Mangum looked like the next QB great in 15 and the last 2 years has looked like he didn't deserve a Div 1 scholarship and the only difference between his freshman year and the last 2 years is coaching.
This is your opinion and of course you are entitled to it. But if you are going to sit there and claim that the only thing impacting Tanner Mangum over that 2 year span was coaching, your head is in the sand.

Feb 2016 - A very public engagement and subsequent cancellation by June 2016
https://universe.byu.edu/2016/02/26/a-r ... d-romance/

Jul 2017 - Mangum opens up about his bouts with depression and anxiety:
That same cheerful, outgoing demeanor, however, has masked an internal struggle in the past, one that he confronted in 2016 and told the world about this summer.
Mangum has been living with mild depression and anxiety, and reached a point last year where his parents convinced him to seek help. He learned the tools to cope with the illness through counseling and began taking antidepressants.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... on-anxiety

Nov 2017 - Various ankle injuries
Mangum suffered the injury to his right Achilles while he was stepping up to deliver a pass, and was not hit on the play. He had missed two earlier games with a left ankle sprain.
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-couga ... -in-a-row/

July 2018 - Reflecting on conditioning issues which contributed to his poor 2017 play
“Obviously, I understand that I didn’t play well last year, so I have to earn that job,” Mangum said. “I have to earn that right to be the starting quarterback. … In the quarterbacks room, we all get that. We are all aware that it could be anyone’s job.”
As soon as he could, Mangum went to work on his body, dropping around 15 pounds to look more like a physical specimen and less like the chunky returned missionary who served in Antofagasta, Chile.
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-couga ... angum-has/

Mangum is a great guy and had some amazing moments for BYU football. He just couldn't string it all together into a constant upward trajectory like his early moments made people hope he might. How do you measure the impact coaching had on him dealing with these personal issues? If you refuse to acknowledge any of these other things besides coaching having a negative impact on Mangum since they don't prove your opinion about the coaches, that sounds like a you thing and we can just let it go.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Looks like a lot of good excuses to make for our coaches. My opinions aren't solely based on their mismanagement of Mangum though. Robertson Daniel is a starting CB in the NFL and got benched by this coaching staff his SR season. Harvey Langi was a pure inside backer and yet he languished at DE all year until injury put him back to the middle for the bowl game where he absolutely dominated, then went to the patriots as an MLB and was doing really well before his car accident. I'm sure there are others. This coaching staff has been stumbling and bumbling for 3 years now. I wish it were different but it is not. I hope this is the year that everything changes, just like I hoped that last year.