Spring Game

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Spring Game

Post by frdbtr »

Mangum was a classic example of coaches not knowing how to utilize his talent. I can guarantee you that Robert Anae would have been able to show his potential. We saw that in 15. Having said that, obviously, Wilson fits the current coaches better and was more successful. I hope this is the year that the coaches finally figure things out here. I will be calling for their jobs all year again if we see the same moronic coaching decisions and lack of fire in the players like we have seen from this coaching staff since Hill and Williams graduated.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

BroncoBot wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:59 pm
Fido wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:20 pm I thought Mangum lost his job for not getting things done as needed after having a reasonable opportunity to do so. But maybe that is just me.
Not getting things done?
Did you forget the Wisc game?
What did Wilson do?
Surely you are not saying that Mangum should not have lost his job in 2018 when he was outperformed by Wilson because he threw a hail mary at the end of the Wisconsin game in 2015. :gross:

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

frdbtr wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:36 am Mangum was a classic example of coaches not knowing how to utilize his talent. I can guarantee you that Robert Anae would have been able to show his potential. We saw that in 15. Having said that, obviously, Wilson fits the current coaches better and was more successful. I hope this is the year that the coaches finally figure things out here. I will be calling for their jobs all year again if we see the same moronic coaching decisions and lack of fire in the players like we have seen from this coaching staff since Hill and Williams graduated.
Mangum is a classic example of injuries taking a toll on this abilities--especially the achillies injury. Mangum had plenty of ups and downs even in 2015.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

Fido wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:34 am
BroncoBot wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:59 pm
Fido wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:20 pm I thought Mangum lost his job for not getting things done as needed after having a reasonable opportunity to do so. But maybe that is just me.
Not getting things done?
Did you forget the Wisc game?
What did Wilson do?
Surely you are not saying that Mangum should not have lost his job in 2018 when he was outperformed by Wilson because he threw a hail mary at the end of the Wisconsin game in 2015. :gross:
April fools! 2015 was Nebraska - I think that he's talking about the Wisconsin game where BYU beat Wisconsin in 2018 at Camp Randall and Mangum was 12/22 for 89 yards with no TD's.

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Sorry that this got turned into a Mangum v Wilson thread.

My point is that I believe that knowing that Wilson was a viable alternative coming out of of Fall Camp contributed (but was not the sole cause of) Mangum losing the confidence of the staff when there were the predictable struggles during the more difficult part of the season.

Not saying that it was wrong to have Wilson and Mangum compete, but having that competition go so far in Fall camp may have had an opportunity cost of having the cohesiveness of the offense under Mangum be less than what it could have been. The Cal game is an example where things seemed a bit off.

So the upshot is that it's not always clear that it's as helpful to have full-out competition at the QB position as it is at any of the other positions. It's an open question as to how long the coaches should let any Wilson v J.Hall competition go on.

[Full disclosure, since others brought up the Mangum v Wilson question, I don't think that there were any games that Wilson won that Mangum would not have also won. And I don't think there are any games that Mangum lost that Wilson would have won (Cal being the closest, and even then it was only as close as it was because our defense had a pick-6). However, I do think that there's at least one game that Wilson lost that Mangum would have won: NIU. That's not saying that Mangum would have shown as well in the last two games as Wilson, only that the result wouldn't have been different. From the perspective of last season, I think the coaches should have stayed with Mangum (and yes, hindsight is 20/20); from the perspective of next season, I'm glad that Wilson was able to get so much experience.]

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Fido wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:41 am
frdbtr wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:36 am Mangum was a classic example of coaches not knowing how to utilize his talent. I can guarantee you that Robert Anae would have been able to show his potential. We saw that in 15. Having said that, obviously, Wilson fits the current coaches better and was more successful. I hope this is the year that the coaches finally figure things out here. I will be calling for their jobs all year again if we see the same moronic coaching decisions and lack of fire in the players like we have seen from this coaching staff since Hill and Williams graduated.
Mangum is a classic example of injuries taking a toll on this abilities--especially the achillies injury. Mangum had plenty of ups and downs even in 2015.
Isn't that what everyone said about Taysom in 16? "Taysom has lost a step because of injury" Then he comes out and runs a 4.4 at the NFL combine and is all of a sudden out running NFL DB's. Mangum getting benched last year was all coaching. Competent coaches would have had his talent in the NFL draft and we would be looking at Redshirt Freshman Wilson this year.

Jarhead
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Jarhead »

frdbtr wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:32 am
Fido wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:41 am
Isn't that what everyone said about Taysom in 16? "Taysom has lost a step because of injury" Then he comes out and runs a 4.4 at the NFL combine and is all of a sudden out running NFL DB's. Mangum getting benched last year was all coaching. Competent coaches would have had his talent in the NFL draft and we would be looking at Redshirt Freshman Wilson this year.
Taysom was actually heavier and slightly slower his senior year (this has been validated by news articles elsewhere). Regardless I agree with the broader point that most of Taysom’s lack of explosiveness his senior year was due to poor coaching and not the “lost a step argument”.

I agree that poor coaching is probably the main factor in our offensive struggles of late.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

frdbtr wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:32 am Isn't that what everyone said about Taysom in 16? "Taysom has lost a step because of injury" Then he comes out and runs a 4.4 at the NFL combine and is all of a sudden out running NFL DB's. Mangum getting benched last year was all coaching. Competent coaches would have had his talent in the NFL draft and we would be looking at Redshirt Freshman Wilson this year.
If Mangum runs a 4.4 at the NFL combine, I'll concede the point.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

Magnum ran a 4.82 40 at the BYU pro day. It looks like he ran a 4.93 40 coming out of High School. So I'm not sure that he actually lost a step - he was very slow to start with

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Fido wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:27 am
frdbtr wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:32 am Isn't that what everyone said about Taysom in 16? "Taysom has lost a step because of injury" Then he comes out and runs a 4.4 at the NFL combine and is all of a sudden out running NFL DB's. Mangum getting benched last year was all coaching. Competent coaches would have had his talent in the NFL draft and we would be looking at Redshirt Freshman Wilson this year.
If Mangum runs a 4.4 at the NFL combine, I'll concede the point.
Mangum's speed has nothing to do with my point and you know it.