Spring Game

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Spring Game

Post by Sammich »

frdbtr wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:26 am I can see it already. Fans calling for Hall when Wilson struggles.
You might as well predict that water is going to be wet.

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

I wonder whether there will be competition for the starting spot in the Fall. Hall seem like he's that good.
I realize Zach just threw a perfect game his last time out, but surgery and an off season can change things. Is it worth the coaches opening up that can of worms?

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

CrimsonCoug wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:29 pm I wonder whether there will be competition for the starting spot in the Fall. Hall seem like he's that good.
I realize Zach just threw a perfect game his last time out, but surgery and an off season can change things. Is it worth the coaches opening up that can of worms?
There should be a competition for every position every year.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

Sammich wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:56 pm
frdbtr wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:26 am I can see it already. Fans calling for Hall when Wilson struggles.
Yep, let's not call for ANY backups when someone struggles at their position. RB can't find the hole? Keep him the entire season so that we don't have a RB controversy!

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

byufan4ever wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:48 am
Yep, let's not call for ANY backups when someone struggles at their position. RB can't find the hole? Keep him the entire season so that we don't have a RB controversy!
Oh man, you totally got us by taking the most extreme version of that complaint and throwing it back as though it were what we were saying. You are good at arguing on the internet!

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

frdbtr wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:16 pm
CrimsonCoug wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:29 pm I wonder whether there will be competition for the starting spot in the Fall. Hall seem like he's that good.
There should be a competition for every position every year.
I agree with this in principle, but almost every head coach makes an exception by degree for the QB position. Uncertainty inhibits outside investment--true in finance, true in football. The longer a team goes without a recognized leader, the more likely they are to struggle. That's one of the reasons for Max Hall's success--there was no doubt who was alpha. And it's one of the reasons for the failure of the Heaps/Nelson two-headed monster--split leadership. And it's one of the reasons that Mangum lost his job last year.
Just saying, it's not so cut and dry that there should be a competition for the QB spot every year.

Judging by recent history at BYU, my guess is that Wilson gets the starting nod at the beginning of the season partly because he's the incumbent, struggles at times through the grueling front half of the season and is either benched or gets injured, and Jaren Hall comes in to "save the day" against the cupcakes, leaving everyone to wonder why Hall wasn't put in earlier and forgetting the tremendous difference in competition.

To be clear, I'm not calling out Hall (he seems like a fantastic QB; I hope he's patient enough to develop further), or Wilson (who played well and has an undeniable combination of skills, moxie and luck).

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Sammich wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:43 am
Oh man, you totally got us by taking the most extreme version of that complaint and throwing it back as though it were what we were saying. You are good at arguing on the internet!
And to the other extreme we have the "we should NEVER ever bench the starting QB for any reason." Tell me, oh great Internet debator, when is it okay for fans to call for the backup QB when the starting QB is struggling? We really need you to establish the rules for all. Please tell me!!

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

I thought Mangum lost his job for not getting things done as needed after having a reasonable opportunity to do so. But maybe that is just me.

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

byufan4ever wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:25 am
Sammich wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:43 am
And to the other extreme we have the "we should NEVER ever bench the starting QB for any reason." Tell me, oh great Internet debator, when is it okay for fans to call for the backup QB when the starting QB is struggling? We really need you to establish the rules for all. Please tell me!!
Not every argument is meant to be taken to an extreme. It is possible to dislike the amount of impatience that some fans show toward a struggling quarterback, while simultaneously believing that said quarterback should be replaced should they continue to struggle. I know that reaction is way less interesting than the argument you were hoping to have, but that is just the problem with a nuanced opinion. The guy who sits behind me at games who starts grumbling for quarterback two after quarterback one’s second mistake (every year without fail!) has an extreme view that is much easier to argue with, which is exactly why I am making fun of him.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Fido wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:20 pm I thought Mangum lost his job for not getting things done as needed after having a reasonable opportunity to do so. But maybe that is just me.
Not getting things done?
Did you forget the Wisc game?
What did Wilson do?