AAC, ESPN Agree To 12-Year Media-Rights Deal Worth $1B

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

AAC, ESPN Agree To 12-Year Media-Rights Deal Worth $1B

Post by Fido »

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dai ... 9/AAC.aspx

The American Athletic Conference will get $1B for its media rights from ESPN over 12 years, according to sources. The average of $83.3M per year is about four times what the AAC was making in its previous rights agreement with the net, which paid the league just over $20M annually. The new agreement begins in '20-21 and runs through the '31-32 academic year.

The annual per-school average of $6.94M provides each AAC school with nearly $5M more in annual revenue. They did not sign a grant of rights, which would have restricted them from jumping to a conference in the Power Five.
The comprehensive deal provides ESPN with rights to all of the AAC’s live programming, except for a small package of basketball games on CBS and some Navy football games on CBS Sports Network. The new contract also calls for some Saturday football games to be broadcast on ABC. Football, along with men's and women's basketball, will remain on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU, but the majority of basketball games and a significant number of the football games will go to ESPN+. Other live sports including baseball, softball and soccer also will air on ESPN+...

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: AAC, ESPN Agree To 12-Year Media-Rights Deal Worth $1B

Post by snoscythe »

ESPN+? ugh.

a la carte television streaming is going to suck.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

that's a lot of money.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

That's a pretty good deal for them. It is football and basketball. It does not get to our level for football and basketball (not sure what we get on basketball) but it is close to our current level.

I wonder what our new contract will be like in football. Will it be a 400% increase?

jadesroom
Freshman

Post by jadesroom »

I was hoping BYU would join the AAC. Ain't gonna happen now.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Well that contract makes more financial sense to join their conference. I think our new deal will exceed their deal.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

I wouldn't mind BYU to the AAC.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

BYU joing the AAC is interesting idea. I look at that list of schools and there are lots of really fun matchups. Made me think these thinks:

Taysom's marquee passing game against Houston.
Tulsa's offensive shootout back in the Hall/Collie era.
UCF going undefeated.
Giving beatdowns to UConn, on the regular.
The ugly Memphis brawl.
Having program history with SMU.
Strong competition with Cincinatti.
And my beloved, adorable, and always celebrated Tulane University. Go Green Wave, go olive and blue. Bruff Commons crawfish etoufee anyone? They served it in the student cafeteria on the regular in 2003. Wouldn't mind having an excuse to visit NOLA. Nope, wouldn't mind that one bit.

I like independence and am happy with the exposure and matchups in the schedule. I also like the idea of BYU in the AAC. I am happy either way. It's a list of teams that beats the P5 on the regular, which BYU does also.

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Geography is a huge drawback, though. The closest school is Wichita State, and they're literally a thousand miles away from Provo.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

CrimsonCoug wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:25 pm Geography is a huge drawback, though. The closest school is Wichita State, and they're literally a thousand miles away from Provo.
It would only make sense as part of a bigger western expansion. But, I'm not sure that makes sense for the AAC.

It would be nice to take our teams to our national fanbase at venues across the nation, but still have the majority of the schedule out West (half the games in Provo and half of the road games in the West).

I would love it if the AAC added Boise, SDSU, and Air Force for all sports and Army for football only; plus BYU, Gonzaga, and one other western school for Olympic sports.

BYU football gets a quasi-scheduling agreement for 4-5 late-season games each year and affiliation with the expanded AAC bowl lineup. My pick would be Boise St. every year, one (and only one) of the military academies each year, and then 3 games among the other 12 teams in the conference - perhaps favoring SDSU, Houston, and SMU more often than the rest.

BYU basketball and other Olympic sports could play annual home-away series with Gonzaga, SDSU, Boise, Air Force, and the new western member. BYU basketball could then rotate 8-10 games among the other legacy AAC schools. Only 4-5 of those games would be on the road outside of our region, and schedules could be aligned such that no one in the West plays more than a single 2-game road trip to the Eastern timezone each year (and vice-versa). So, we play Wichita, Tulsa, SMU, and Houston, more often than the Eastern time-zone schools.

The other new western Olympic sports member might be St. Mary's. But, my dark horse pick is GCU...mainly because we have a good fan and alumni base in Arizona and GCU seems to be developing decent fan support (7K per game) along with its decent basketball program (#96 in NET rankings this year).