OL coach Ryan Pugh going to Troy as OC?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

OL coach Ryan Pugh going to Troy as OC?

Post by Fido »

http://footballscoop.com/news/source-ch ... -together/

Source tells FootballScoop Chip Lindsey plans to make BYU offensive line coach Ryan Pugh his offensive coordinator and plans to promote Troy outside linebackers coach Brandon Hall to defensive coordinator.

Pugh, who played Center at Auburn 2007-10, served as a grad assistant at Auburn, Virginia Tech, Cincinnati and LSU; before going with Frank Wilson to UTSA as offensive line coach. When his mentor Jeff Grimes got the offensive coordinator position at BYU, Pugh went as his offensive line coach for this past season.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: OL coach Ryan Pugh going to Troy as OC?

Post by hawkwing »

Well that's rising through the ranks pretty quickly.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

There were times this year where I thought that the Oline needed a better coach. FWIW I'm no all that sad that he's leaving.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

Excited to see who Grimes can find. I'd like to see someone who's had success at a G5 school. It will be telling to see how much money they spend on the new hire.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

He built up a decent resume in one year: turned a team around, nearly doubled their wins, and produced a freshman all-american.

I'm just hoping that Grimes continues to get an outside person. There's enough intellectual incest in the program already. Diversity of thought is a strength.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

CrimsonCoug wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:10 pmI'm just hoping that Grimes continues to get an outside person. There's enough intellectual incest in the program already. Diversity of thought is a strength.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

CrimsonCoug wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:10 pm He built up a decent resume in one year: turned a team around, nearly doubled their wins, and produced a freshman all-american.

I'm just hoping that Grimes continues to get an outside person. There's enough intellectual incest in the program already. Diversity of thought is a strength.
It's kind of amazing he got an offensive coordinator job in a year. It took Grimes 20 years to get his shot. If Grimes does a really good job and gets his job in the SEC I wonder if Pugh could eventually take over at BYU.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Yeah, Pugh's rise is really remarkable. I'm sure he had a stellar recommendation from Grimes, but to go from GA to OC at a d1 school in 1 year is crazy. And Troy had a good record last year. It's not like they're NMSU or some perennially poor program. Good for him. I wish him success.

He counts as part of Kalani's coaching tree now, right? ;)

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

hawkwing wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:04 am Well that's rising through the ranks pretty quickly.
Impressive that this will be the 7th school he's coached at already. I wonder how many schools Bronco Mendenhall has coached at (5 come to mind)?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars