Potato Bowl Game thread

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Potato Bowl Game thread

Post by Fido »

jvquarterback wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:07 pm Run blocking has been pretty abysmal. Not sure why. It wasn't like WMU was selling out. Just poor spacing and effort.
WM was bringing 6 or more rushers regularly in that first half. With the passing game they started punishing that.

El Guapo
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU is OK

Post by El Guapo »

I'll never understand how a team can only manage 7 at halftime against an opponent but then drop 42+ on them in the 2nd half??? This game was just like the Utah game only in reverse.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

1967cougar wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:47 pm
a1247 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:37 pm Well the was a pathetic 1st half of football from the offense. There wasn't a good sustained drive the oline looks unathletic, lazy and lost. The running game has ZERO production because of the oline and injuries. And speaking of injuries is anyone else sick of hearing about BYU and injuries. Year in and year out all we hear is injuries. WTF!
I’m with you there. It’s like no other team ever has injuries like we do. As to the game....I’m having a hard time staying awake. Boring.
Everyone has injuries, it is just lately (since we got a new coaching staff), they use them as an excuse for a poor product put on the field.

BOID
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BOID »

a1247 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:16 pm Wilson is 13-13 and Riley Burt just busted a 37 yard touchdown run. BYU is up 21-10 and looking good. Where is everyone at?
Sorry, I was just caught up in watching.

But, now that it’s over, I’m going to make a declaration:

Zach Wilson IS the renewal of Ty Detmer!!!!!! :)
Last edited by BOID on Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Good win for the cougars today. Very happy that they ended the year on a win. I hope they keep improving and have a good year next year. I didn't get an opportunity to watch the game but I am going to watch a replay at work tonight, should be fun.

BOID
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BOID »

frdbtr wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:36 pm Good win for the cougars today. Very happy that they ended the year on a win. I hope they keep improving and have a good year next year. I didn't get an opportunity to watch the game but I am going to watch a replay at work tonight, should be fun.
Agreed. These Cougars needed to demonstrate some prowess, not just to the rest of America, but to themselves. A close win over a Group of Five program would not have been enough. For BYU to get some launch for next season, it had to be a blow-out.

If anyone wonders why BYU celebrated so hard after the clock ran out, that’s why.

jadesroom
Freshman

Post by jadesroom »

Just got home from the game... Section 22 did you see me, 😀? Fantastic game except for the o line and some mental errors.

a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

jadesroom wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:17 pm Just got home from the game... Section 22 did you see me, 😀? Fantastic game except for the o line and some mental errors.
The oline in the 2nd half was a completely different group of players compared to the 1st half.

jadesroom
Freshman

Post by jadesroom »

True. the sack followed by the long reception and the second collie td was the turning point
Last edited by jadesroom on Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

a1247 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:10 pm
► Show Spoiler
jvquarterback wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:07 pm Run blocking has been pretty abysmal. Not sure why. It wasn't like WMU was selling out. Just poor spacing and effort.
Once BYU started throwing in the 2nd half it opened up the running game. Not that BYU ran a lot in the 2nd half but it was enough to keep WM defense honest. The 1st half the whole offense looked uninterested
Passing offense was pretty good the first half as well. Poor play calling killed a couple drives.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams