TH...What is the VISION for BYU Football?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

TH...What is the VISION for BYU Football?

Post by Wolverine »

As a very loyal fan for many, many years, I am so confused about the vision for this program. To me it is so unclear. I am so tired of wandering aimlessly in the desert as if BYU Football is akin to being the Washington Generals. TH is the CEO of the athletic programs, and whatever the vision or objective is, I don't get it anymore. Am I the only one who feels this way? All I keep hearing is we want to take the team to the four corners of the country so all of the BYU family can partake of the tree of BYU football. I'm tired and I'm not even sure what I'm rooting for anymore.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: TH...What is the VISION for BYU Football?

Post by SpiffCoug »

The vision is play games against good teams across the nation and lose the important ones.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Wait, I thought it was “any team, any time, any where, and here’s some clear bags for home games so no one sneaks in a terrorisitc device, aka: food.”

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Holmoe's vision for BYU football is to pay G5 level money, for G5 level coaching, with G5 level players, while hoping somehow BYU can win enough games against an increasingly P5 level schedule for BYU to remain relevant and appeal to ESPN.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

4th place in the WCC and 7-5 in football.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

There is no vision. That is quite apparent.

I suspect, TH threw us into independence thinking it would be a temporary measure. All bets were getting into the Big 12. Now that that isn't happening and doesn't look like it will (no conference is going to take us in today's political climate) we're in this weird void. Keep in mind, this is the bed TH made for us.

Indendence is fun, but to be competitive BYU has to shell out. BYU isn't going to shell out. Boosters aren't either. TH has no vision. What can TH sell to the boosters? They don't get anything out of donating money except pride and satisfaction. Pride in what?

Meanwhile, we lose recruits. The talent gap widens. If you are LDS and a big time athlete, you're going Utah and the Pac12. Utah St. has a better program right now. BYU is option 3.

Bronco saw this. I think it's no coincidence Bronco left the moment it was apparent BYU wasn't getting into the Big 12. He knew TH had no vision. All eggs were put into that basket.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

Mars wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:37 pm 4th place in the WCC and 7-5 in football.
4th place? Mars, you could have at least said 2nd place to help bring me out of my BYU funk :)

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

Gunk wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:00 pm There is no vision. That is quite apparent.

I suspect, TH threw us into independence thinking it would be a temporary measure. All bets were getting into the Big 12. Now that that isn't happening and doesn't look like it will (no conference is going to take us in today's political climate) we're in this weird void. Keep in mind, this is the bed TH made for us.

Indendence is fun, but to be competitive BYU has to shell out. BYU isn't going to shell out. Boosters aren't either. TH has no vision. What can TH sell to the boosters? They don't get anything out of donating money except pride and satisfaction. Pride in what?

Meanwhile, we lose recruits. The talent gap widens. If you are LDS and a big time athlete, you're going Utah and the Pac12. Utah St. has a better program right now. BYU is option 3.

Bronco saw this. I think it's no coincidence Bronco left the moment it was apparent BYU wasn't getting into the Big 12. He knew TH had no vision. All eggs were put into that basket.
Gunk, you have pretty much summed up my feelings on the state of affairs. My bigest concern is that the BOT is quite content with Holmoe's vision, or lack thereof, and the slow drain in the 2 major programs will continue. I have no answers, but I fear that the future won't be all that amazing. I hope that I am wrong.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Wolverine wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:47 pm
Gunk wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:00 pm There is no vision. That is quite apparent.

Gunk, you have pretty much summed up my feelings on the state of affairs. My bigest concern is that the BOT is quite content with Holmoe's vision, or lack thereof, and the slow drain in the 2 major programs will continue. I have no answers, but I fear that the future won't be all that amazing. I hope that I am wrong.
From what I hear, the church isn't bringing in nearly as much tithing as it used to. We don't actually know this because we don't ever get an a legitimate accounting of what the church does with the money we give them, but the rumors I'm hearing from relatives that work for the church are tithes are shrinking. I don't see the BOT putting much if any resources into BYU sports. They are going to be more prudent with funds overall, even if tithing isn't used for sports. It just creates an attitude of don't-spend-money.

And, like I said, I don't see boosters shelling out. They ponied up for Sitake. Holmoe can't go back to them. He's got nothing to offer. They've invested in TH for a decade now and the results are worse.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
jadesroom
Freshman

Tom and kalani are part of the eternal plan

Post by jadesroom »

For example, I no longer spend as much of my time on sports. I may not be happier.,. Yet, but I'm certainly more productive