A Few Random End-of-the-Season Thoughts

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: A Few Random End-of-the-Season Thoughts

Post by Mars »

craigoscarson wrote: I still dont' see the wisdom of starting a true freshman
I bet Boston College's defense said the same before the Emerald bowl yesterday...

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

Mars wrote:
I bet Boston College's defense said the same before the Emerald bowl yesterday...
Or the USC fans that forgot what it's like not to go to a BCS bowl?

bball
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by bball »

Just my observations:

1. Mike Riley (and I like the guy) looked much like Bob Stoops looked against BYU. Both looked dazed, confused, and unable to comprehend what was happening to them, or what to do about it. I think both got out-coached by BYU.
2. I think Chambers is deserving of some "ire" from the fans; here's why. A) he has shown nothing as a punt or kick returner, he runs straight ahead, makes no moves, avoids no tackles. B) he fumbles, C) he does some really stupid things that hurts the team, like personal foul penalties. I hope he gets better, and maybe he will, but he has not won me over by a long shot.
3. Max Hall played for three full years and never really got injured, or missed a game. I think he did sit out the Utah State game his first year, and he had the shoulder injury, but he still played. He deserves credit just for being tough. I've watched a lot of QBs play this year, and he is better than most of them. And I really don't care if he plays in the NFL, I only care what he does for BYU, and he did pretty well.
4. BYU is 11-2 because of their tight ends, not because of their WRs. Jacobsen and Chambers might be all world some day, but this year, it was our TEs that made us a really good team, nobody could cover them, and they just caught everything thrown to them. I observe a lot of teams do not throw to their TEs, ever, they are blockers only, and their offenses kind of stink.
5. At season's end, I believe BYU's offensive scheme is really, really good. I have more respect for Anae now, than previously. He utilizes everybody on the field, WRs, TEs, RBs, fullbacks, everybody. I do think he should have rolled Hall out of the pocket more than he did. Hall was very good throwing on the run, plus he can run, but maybe there were reasons he didn't.
6. Lou Holtz (yes I like him, and yes he should retire from broadcasting) knows football, and it's obvious he sees things his cohorts do not. I was pleased who ESPN gave us for the bowl game (I really detest Musburger). Anyway, Holtz was gaga over BYU's defense in the bowl game, and he observed that it was the discipline of the players to do their job, and to trust everybody else to do their job. Maybe this is why neither Oklahoma or OSU ever threw the ball deep on BYU, because the receivers were not open. I think Hill does the best he can do with the talent he has, and isn't that all you can ask of any coach?

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Some really good observations. Here are a few more: This season had two of the most exciting wins I've seen--OK and UT were pretty nice book end wins if you ask me

Seeing the QB play at SC, BC, Ohio State, MI etc. this year, we really take for granted the QB play we have enjoyed over the past four years or so

TCU will beat BSU--why? Many reasons but the latest: BSU's starting left tackle is out for the game and a freshman will be matched up against Jerry Hughes--I just hope Kellan Moore lives to tell his children about it.

I will really miss Unga, Pitta and George....They were players to be remembered.

BC and SC were really boring to watch

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

craigoscarson wrote:
Mars wrote:
Or the USC fans that forgot what it's like not to go to a BCS bowl?
Or the BC fans who thought their true freshman QB was pretty good....

bball
Sophomore

Post by bball »

BoiseBYU wrote:Some really good observations. Here are a few more: This season had two of the most exciting wins I've seen--OK and UT were pretty nice book end wins if you ask me

Seeing the QB play at SC, BC, Ohio State, MI etc. this year, we really take for granted the QB play we have enjoyed over the past four years or so

I will really miss Unga, Pitta and George....They were players to be remembered.

BC and SC were really boring to watch
Agreed, Hall is better than we give him credit for. I'd still take him over most QBs I've seen play this year. Yes, he had a couple of poor games, but so did Colt McCoy (he stunk the place up one game I watched). The Cal QB (Riley?) was awful. If Cal would have had Hall, they'd have beaten Utah. Utah wasn't exactly dominating.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

mcgregor wrote:
frdbtr wrote:I agree with everything, except being in the Heaps "camp". I will be behind whoever wins the starting job. If it is Heaps, then I will be happy. Having said that, I think he wins the job. I think it will be either Lark or Heaps. I expect Munns to transfer since he pretty much will have no chance to win the starting job due to when he comes home from his mission.
Of course, I hope the job goes to the best man. I'm just guessing that the best man proves to be Heaps.
That is a good speculation :) I think he will probably win the job too.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Another thought. I think it has been established that you don't have to be perfect to make it to the BCS now. The only issue is that a perfect BSU might take the only spot.

mcgregor
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

Post by mcgregor »

bball wrote: 2. I think Chambers is deserving of some "ire" from the fans; here's why. A) he has shown nothing as a punt or kick returner, he runs straight ahead, makes no moves, avoids no tackles. B) he fumbles, C) he does some really stupid things that hurts the team, like personal foul penalties. I hope he gets better, and maybe he will, but he has not won me over by a long shot.
This is part of my problem. First, take away that personal foul against OSU--he said that he couldn't hear the whistle, and under those conditions, and being so far downfield, I believe him. Other than that, has he really had more personal fouls than Max Hall? Scott Johnson?

I seem to remember Chambers doing quite well returning punts against Utah, and gaining some respectable yards in other games. If you expect him to return every other kick, then you are right, he does not meet expectations. But is he an improvement over the other talent we've fielded over the past few years? I think so.

Yes, he fumbles. Part of that is because of the position he puts himself in. He will learn to protect the ball better as time goes on.

All in all, Chambers is a great upgrade. I love watching him play, especially on the plays he doesn't get the ball.

gmj81
Junior

Post by gmj81 »

Let's get one thing straight. Chambers has fumbled twice this year. That's it. And neither was as costly as Jacobson's botched PR in the OU game but no one seems to keep harping on that little miscue.

I really don't get the criticism of Chambers. Out of one side of their mouth, BYU fans are calling for the players to be more passionate and 'nasty', then in the very next breath they start slamming guys like Chambers and Scott Johnson (for what was clearly not a helmet to helmet hit or even an attempted one).