Why We Lost

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Why We Lost

Post by Brayden Green »

Especially when you consider that UNLV - of all teams - got 15 first downs, 235 total offensive yards, and scored 7 points, and held Michigan to 28 points just a week ago. THose of you that are claiming it is because of inferior athletes need to account for UNLV just a short week ago. UNLV doesn't have better athletes than BYU. And if they do? Well then the staff should be fired on recruiting alone, because UNLV football should never be getting better recruits than BYU football. Never ever. The loss doesn't go 100% on coaching, but I would place it somewhere in the 90's.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

TheDean
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TheDean »

We lost because the offense was just plainly overly predictable. Michigan knew the plays BYU was going to run and when BYU was going to run them. From what I saw BYU's playbook right now consists of about 8-10 plays and Anae kept running those same 8-10 plays with out any variation nor did Anae make any attempts to throw in any plays other than the 8-10 plays he kept calling. There was no change made at half time to the offensive play calling that had failed miserably in the first half.

The BYU defense would have done much better had they been able to rest and plan for the next time the defense came on the field had the offense been more effective in staying on the field and scoring.

This loss is 90% on the overly predictable and lame playcalling by Anae. After michigan went up 21-0 and the offense was getting no where you would have thought Anae would have tried to kick start the offense by running something that would have caught Michigan by suprise like a flea flicker, half back pass, reverse, or anything that would not have been prepared for by Michigan. Fact is there comes a time when you have to throw the playbook away and change the plays to something completely different, but Anae never even tried to be creative as he stayed with the same offensive plays all game long. The other 10% is on the o-line and it's pathetic incompetence in protecting the QB. The O-line coach should be fired as BYU O-line play has been really bad the last 4-5 seasons. BYU's O-line was good during Anaes first tenure as OC, but after Anae left to the present through the Doman years and Anae coming back to the present the O-line has been pathetic.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

TheDean wrote:We lost because the offense was just plainly overly predictable. Michigan knew the plays BYU was going to run and when BYU was going to run them. From what I saw BYU's playbook right now consists of about 8-10 plays and Anae kept running those same 8-10 plays with out any variation nor did Anae make any attempts to throw in any plays other than the 8-10 plays he kept calling. There was no change made at half time to the offensive play calling that had failed miserably in the first half.

The BYU defense would have done much better had they been able to rest and plan for the next time the defense came on the field had the offense been more effective in staying on the field and scoring.

This loss is 90% on the overly predictable and lame playcalling by Anae. After michigan went up 21-0 and the offense was getting no where you would have thought Anae would have tried to kick start the offense by running something that would have caught Michigan by suprise like a flea flicker, half back pass, reverse, or anything that would not have been prepared for by Michigan. Fact is there comes a time when you have to throw the playbook away and change the plays to something completely different, but Anae never even tried to be creative as he stayed with the same offensive plays all game long. The other 10% is on the o-line and it's pathetic incompetence in protecting the QB. The O-line coach should be fired as BYU O-line play has been really bad the last 4-5 seasons. BYU's O-line was good during Anaes first tenure as OC, but after Anae left to the present through the Doman years and Anae coming back to the present the O-line has been pathetic.
Just keep in mind that our QB is limited in his knowledge right now because he's been home from a mission for about 3 months. It's easy to say we should try a couple dozen new plays, but the QB needs time to practice those. I'm not saying you're totally wrong, but you also can't discount the fact that this isn't the QB we were planning to be using right now and he's had very little time to learn the offense. He has raw talent and he will get better, but a coach is sometimes limited by his players, especially if it's an inexperienced, albeit, talented QB.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Homer: Stupid Cougars. Hurry up and lose so we can get outta here!
Lisa: Why do you hate the Cougars so much, Dad?
Homer: Because I loved them once and they broke my heart. Let that be a lesson to you, sweetie. Never love anything.
Lisa: Even you?
Homer: Especially me.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
CAFB_04-12
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

KingCoug wrote:To not be able to even cross the 50 is a failure of monumental proportions.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
3 of 11 drives crossed the 50.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/pla ... =400763519" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheDean
Freshman

Post by TheDean »

BlueK wrote:
TheDean wrote:We lost because the offense was just plainly overly predictable. Michigan knew the plays BYU was going to run and when BYU was going to run them. From what I saw BYU's playbook right now consists of about 8-10 plays and Anae kept running those same 8-10 plays with out any variation nor did Anae make any attempts to throw in any plays other than the 8-10 plays he kept calling. There was no change made at half time to the offensive play calling that had failed miserably in the first half.

Just keep in mind that our QB is limited in his knowledge right now because he's been home from a mission for about 3 months. It's easy to say we should try a couple dozen new plays, but the QB needs time to practice those. I'm not saying you're totally wrong, but you also can't discount the fact that this isn't the QB we were planning to be using right now and he's had very little time to learn the offense. He has raw talent and he will get better, but a coach is sometimes limited by his players, especially if it's an inexperienced, albeit, talented QB.
Yes he has had a limited time to learn the offense, but come on how long does it take to to learn 8-10 plays the same 8-10 plays that were called with Taysom as QB??? I think this is a case of the players being limited by the coach and not the other way around because Mangum did well the first 3 games and showed that he was capable of doing more. If Mangum isn't getting the necessary reps or learning opportunities then that is the coaches fault not his.

No, the way that Michigan was able to zero in on defense they way they did was either from being overly predicatable, Anae sending Michigan the play book, or that Michigan some how got a hold of the playbook by either stealing it or from buying it from someone. Which Harbaugh is very capable of doing since he comes from the NFL where you can get a way with filming the playbook of the opposing team and that he has done that while in the NFL. Personally I feel it was from being overly predictable and too easy to read what the offense was going to do. Everyone knows BYU is going to call a running play up the midle on first down and did so on first down except for 4 times in the game. Everyone knows that BYU is going to call a running play up the middle ond 3rd down an 1 and at least 50% of the time in 3rd and long situations. This shows an overly predictsble offense that is easy to read.
Last edited by TheDean on Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I knew we were going to lose when I saw the team get off the bus:

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

CAFB_04-12 wrote:
KingCoug wrote:To not be able to even cross the 50 is a failure of monumental proportions.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/pla ... =400763519" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wrong. 2 drives crossed the 50. The first drive of the game, which they received at their own 40, and the second drive of the game, where they got to the 48 yard line, which - technically - is across the 50. The third you are probably referring to (the fake punt) we got the ball on their side of the field, so the offense didn't cross midfield.

You've found a rather nice hill to die on. Not sure why you are trying to defend that absolute pile of dog mess that the Anae "offense" cooked up, but... how you spend your free time is up to you.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

CAFB_04-12
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

I'm just pointing out your inconsistencies to illustrate the absurdity of your emotional ranting.

Oh, okay, so only 2 of 11 drives passed the 50. That's 2 more than you said in your post, and took me exactly 10 seconds to figure out. No emotion, just the facts.

You guys need to calm down, take a breath, do something...

You think I loved watching that game? No. Is BYU football just that one game? No.

Your emotional outrage is just out of proportion I think.

TheDean
Freshman

Post by TheDean »

Brayden Green wrote:
CAFB_04-12 wrote:

Wrong. 2 drives crossed the 50. The first drive of the game, which they received at their own 40, and the second drive of the game, where they got to the 48 yard line, which - technically - is across the 50. The third you are probably referring to (the fake punt) we got the ball on their side of the field, so the offense didn't cross midfield.

You've found a rather nice hill to die on. Not sure why you are trying to defend that absolute pile of dog mess that the Anae "offense" cooked up, but... how you spend your free time is up to you.

CAFB_04-12 wrote:I'm just pointing out your inconsistencies to illustrate the absurdity of your emotional ranting.

Oh, okay, so only 2 of 11 drives passed the 50. That's 2 more than you said in your post, and took me exactly 10 seconds to figure out. No emotion, just the facts.

You guys need to calm down, take a breath, do something...

You think I loved watching that game? No. Is BYU football just that one game? No.

Your emotional outrage is just out of proportion I think.

Hardly emotional outrage just bewilderment at BYU's inability to cross the 50 more than a couple of times. It also proves that Michigan's defense was just too perfect in it play calling for mear coinicidence. Even at BYU's worst offensive performances when was the last time a BYU offense failed to gain more than 105 yards of total offense along with a shut out?? You would have to go well into the years before Lavell to find another game with that kind of poor output.

The fact that BYU was shut out isn't what people find bewildering but the way BYU was shut out. Michigan's defense was for to precise in it defensive play calling for it to be a mear coincidence that were able to smellmout BYU's offense. No, it was from thier knowing the BYU playbook far to well from either BYU being overly predictable or from from having possession of the play book from illegal means.

This is the reason for the posts and not emotional outrage. If Michigan did cheat then yes there should be emotional outrage then.