Next Year's TE

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Short_Change
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Next Year's TE

Post by Short_Change »

bball wrote:Pitta was impressive as a freshman (walkon no less), there's no reason that Wilson, or Holt, or Mahina can't come in and have a great year.

The unsettling thing about next year is we will have a new QB, new TEs, (plus Unga possibly gone) and possibly a new Offensive Coordinator, if Anae gets hired away. But I've said all along that 2011 or 2012, is the year to get excited about, when all this great young talent has a year or two of experience. 2010 could be a tough year, TCU and Utah on the road, a rookie QB, and some big holes to fill. It's important we have a better defense next year than this year. If our Dline (whoever that will be) can be more dominating than this year, we have a chance.
Utah will be down next year, IMO so it's a good time for us to play them on the road and steal one. TCU is going to be the team to beat again next year.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

craigoscarson wrote: Anyone that thinks that Jake Heaps should start on day 1 is nuts..... and likely has never played high school/college sports.
Sometimes I think the internet was created just to make ignorant statements like this one. You would think that no true freshman has ever started in the history of the sport, when in reality tens of thousands have, many of which have succeeded at a high level. It's simply astounding to me that anyone would be arrogant enough to pretend otherwise.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Yeah, it's a good thing that Wyoming didn't start their true freshman at qb, otherwise they wouldn't have made their first bowl game in five years and took that game in which they were supposed to be blown out into OT and winning it. Oh wait...

Translation--There are some true freshies that are ready and others that are not, the coaches will know after evaluating Heaps in the spring and fall.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

Mars wrote:
craigoscarson wrote: Anyone that thinks that Jake Heaps should start on day 1 is nuts..... and likely has never played high school/college sports.
Sometimes I think the internet was created just to make ignorant statements like this one. You would think that no true freshman has ever started in the history of the sport, when in reality tens of thousands have, many of which have succeeded at a high level. It's simply astounding to me that anyone would be arrogant enough to pretend otherwise.
Trust me there have not been "tens of thousands of freshmen starting qbs in major college football" not even close. Nor have there been tens of thousands true freshmen starters at all positions of all division 1 teams. There are 100 teams (and less historically the last 50 years), that might start 2-3 freshmen max in a given season. 200-300 times how many seasons would you need to get "tens of thousands" at that's at all positions, not qb which is likely more like a couple hundred (if that) the last 40 years or so. Of the 100 or so teams this season, how many started true freshmen?
And then of course, based on your statement they also have to have success, which now whittles that number even more.

True Freshmen QBs have not thrived historically; and we face a brutal road schedule next year. The aura of the golden boy is good for recruiting, I see no reason why tarnishing that image helps BYU next season.
Call that statement arrogant but the jump from high school to major D1 is severe and I have never seen an instance where starting a true frosh Qb was a great decision. I've seen oodles examples where it was a disaster.

Certainly there are instances where a team has no better option (Wyoming) but Riley Nelson is going to be a good one and like I said before I would love ot see BYU cash in on the golden boy image as long as possible.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Schmoe wrote: Translation--There are some true freshies that are ready and others that are not, the coaches will know after evaluating Heaps in the spring and fall.
Exactly. Let's go back in a time machine, shall we?

"There's NO WAY Harvey Unga will start as a true freshman, and anyone who thinks that he will must be crazy! He's no Curtis Brown, I'll tell you that much! Besides, Fui Vakapuna will be the clear-cut starter this next season. Anyone with a brain would red-shirt Unga and make sure that John Beck can't win 10 games his senior season!!" ;)

Some people never learn.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

Mars wrote:
Schmoe wrote: Translation--There are some true freshies that are ready and others that are not, the coaches will know after evaluating Heaps in the spring and fall.
Exactly. Let's go back in a time machine, shall we?

"There's NO WAY Harvey Unga will start as a true freshman, and anyone who thinks that he will must be crazy! He's no Curtis Brown, I'll tell you that much! Besides, Fui Vakapuna will be the clear-cut starter this next season. Anyone with a brain would red-shirt Unga and make sure that John Beck can't win 10 games his senior season!!" ;)

Some people never learn.

Not sure who said that, especially since Harvey was never a true freshman when he played for BYU. He did not come to BYU and play straight out of high school the season after he graduated; though the running back position is much more forgiving as a true freshman anyhow (which is why Quezada should see some important minutes next season). We're talking about quarterback here which is a completely different bird.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

Schmoe wrote:Yeah, it's a good thing that Wyoming didn't start their true freshman at qb, otherwise they wouldn't have made their first bowl game in five years and took that game in which they were supposed to be blown out into OT and winning it. Oh wait...

Translation--There are some true freshies that are ready and others that are not, the coaches will know after evaluating Heaps in the spring and fall.
That true freshman for Wyoming certainly delivered vs BYU in Laramie.... ;)

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

If I am not mistaken. Wy started an older quarterback in the first game and then switched to the freshman. Freshman quarterbacks are rare (we are not talking redshirt freshman). However Heaps will get a spring practice which is rare in itself. I would not be surprised if someone else starts in game one and Heaps gets some playing time and later in the year becomes the started. He is the future but might not be the present.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

craigoscarson wrote:
Schmoe wrote:Yeah, it's a good thing that Wyoming didn't start their true freshman at qb, otherwise they wouldn't have made their first bowl game in five years and took that game in which they were supposed to be blown out into OT and winning it. Oh wait...

That true freshman for Wyoming certainly delivered vs BYU in Laramie.... ;)
That true freshman for Wyoming certainly delivered vs Fr. St. in NM... ;)
(Seriously though, our recent dominance over Wyoming is awesome, and it goes way beyond who their qb is)

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,