Still think the Fiesta Bowl isn't corrupt?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Still think the Fiesta Bowl isn't corrupt?

Post by craigoscarson »

For those that think that there are no politics involved in the bowl system....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/n ... id=4754106

The newspaper reported that five current and former high-level employees of the bowl game, speaking on condition of anonymity, said they made contributions at the urging of Fiesta Bowl CEO John Junker and were reimbursed through bonus checks. Three of the five said they were reimbursed after giving to specific candidates.

Don't even try to make me buy that the bowls aren't willing to kiss the rings of the BCS...

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Still think the Fiesta Bowl isn't corrupt?

Post by Ddawg »

This is huge. What a find.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Isn't this Junker guy a former Cougar? There is, or used to be, a high ranking Fiesta Bowl official that is a graduate of BYU.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

stuckinbig10country wrote:Isn't this Junker guy a former Cougar? There is, or used to be, a high ranking Fiesta Bowl official that is a graduate of BYU.

http://www.fiestabowl.org/index.php/abo ... unker_bio/

ASU grad - and I would assume Catholic from his bio

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Thanks. So its not him. There used to be one.

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

craigoscarson wrote:For those that think that there are no politics involved in the bowl system....

The newspaper reported that five current and former high-level employees of the bowl game, speaking on condition of anonymity, said they made contributions at the urging of Fiesta Bowl CEO John Junker and were reimbursed through bonus checks. Three of the five said they were reimbursed after giving to specific candidates.

Don't even try to make me buy that the bowls aren't willing to kiss the rings of the BCS...
Now now Craig... I'm sure rasta has a PERFECTLY logical explanation for all this! :lol:

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
mormonrasta
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mormonrasta »

Italics wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:For those that think that there are no politics involved in the bowl system....

Now now Craig... I'm sure rasta has a PERFECTLY logical explanation for all this! :lol:
I think this situation reinforces my belief that bowls are indeed selfish enterprises.They wil do whatever it takes (appearently using legal and illegal) to retain their own individual status in the game. However, this doesn't show some sort of BCS collusion.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

mormonrasta wrote:
Italics wrote:

I think this situation reinforces my belief that bowls are indeed selfish enterprises.They wil do whatever it takes (appearently using legal and illegal) to retain their own individual status in the game. However, this doesn't show some sort of BCS collusion.
What it shows, is that people are willing to sell their souls with under the table deals. I don't think this incident proves anything about BCS collusion, I think what it proves is that these people are not above bribery and politicking for their own personal gain, even if that hurts the particular bowl they represent.
There's no way on earth that what the bowl CEO did here helps his enterprise; (in fact all he does is risk it's credibility in a time where there's a some pressure to drop the fiesta bowl and go with the cotton bowl as the 5th bcs ball game) however he may have thought it could help him personally.
If he (and others) are willing to sell their souls like this, what else are they willing to do? That's the black cloud that an incident like this paints them under.
Let's stop being naive and think that individual persons (like this bowl ceo) put their job responsibilities over their personal desires; this is exactly the perfect outlet for shady behavior. Don't grease the wheels for the bowl, grease the wheels for the person that makes the decisions, whether it be money, favors, politics etc.

He's already shown that he's willing to get in bed with politicians and promote illegal behavior; what else is he willing to do?