My Question about Oregon State:

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

My Question about Oregon State:

Post by Mars »

Is it possible that they have THE best (healthy) QB, THE best RB, THE best WR, and THE best DT (a Samoan from Utah) that BYU has seen this year, all on the same team?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Italics
Heisman Winner

Re: My Question about Oregon State:

Post by Italics »

Best QB was probably in OU or FSU
Best RB was in OU or TCU
Best WR's were probably in OU, FSU, and Utah
Best DT was in TCU

so... no!

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Best QB--I don't think I'll give it to you even if we ignore Bradford. Passer-wise, Canfield is about the equivalent of Ponder, but he isn't going to run on us like Ponder or Dalton, and I don't think he's as accurate as Dalton.

Best RB--Absolutely. Not only has Jacquizz run for more yards than any primary back we have defended with 1377 yards, but he has done it at the highest ypc of 5.4. He's a home-run threat every time.

Best WR--I think Rodgers is the #2 receiver we will face this year. I still think Jeremy Williams from Tulane was the best, he just unfortunately didn't have a top-flight quarterback to get him the ball. I think Rodgers edges out Ryan Broyles for the second-best WR we have defended. Kerley is a good receiver, but he gets a lot of hype for his PR/KR that makes him seem better than offense than he really is. When Kerley gets open, he's deadly, but he's open far less frequently than a premier receiver should be.

Best DT--I think Paea is the best DT we have faced on game day. I think he's right up there with Gerald McCoy, but I think Paea in December is a tougher obstacle than McCoy in game one of the season. I don't know who Italics is talking about since TCU didn't even have a first team all-conference DT, meaning we faced at least two better in conference than whoever he is thinking about. I'm assuming he is thinking of Hughes, in which case he errs because Hughes plays a different position.

BerliNY
All-American

Post by BerliNY »

I don't know about you, but I for one am really looking forward to this game just to see how good our run defense really is. If we can stop their run game I think we win going away.

Loyal Strong True
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

BerliNY wrote:I don't know about you, but I for one am really looking forward to this game just to see how good our run defense really is. If we can stop their run game I think we win going away.
I am not as worried about stopping the run as I am about stopping their pass game which is a their strength if I understand correctly.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

I'd say Canfield is equal to Dalton and Ponder. Better down field passer than both, but less mobility. Honestly, I fear his down field passing most of all. Bradford played on half behind the worst O-line in the country, so hard to compare him.

As to the Rodgers boys, I'd say that Quizz is the best RB we have seen all year for sure. He reminds me of Ronney Jenkins with his size, speed and pass catching skills. Another year like this, and he is in the Heisman mix next year. And James is really fast and will give Logan fits with his speed, but not his size.

I fully expect OSU to put up 30+ points on us, and we will need to score a lot to win. We will move the ball on them, though. Force some turnovers, and I think we take it. Give them away, and we will lose.

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

jonnylingo wrote:
BerliNY wrote:I don't know about you, but I for one am really looking forward to this game just to see how good our run defense really is. If we can stop their run game I think we win going away.
I am not as worried about stopping the run as I am about stopping their pass game which is a their strength if I understand correctly.
I think passing is the strength of ANY team when playing BYU.

byutx
All-American

Post by byutx »

Italics wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
Except for Wyoming, AFA, Utah and Shakey Smithson, of course. And Tulane.

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

byutx wrote:
Italics wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
I don't think Tulane or Utah did all that bad at passing against us. We were very lucky Utah didn't have at least two or three long td passes against us.

Wyoming and AFA games I didn't get to see. AFA doesn't surprise me though - this is the same team that only had one pass attempt against Utah. It's sort of like saying, "Man, we sure shut down the passing game of that option-driven Army offense!"

byutx
All-American

Post by byutx »

Italics wrote:
byutx wrote:
Italics wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
I don't think Tulane or Utah did all that bad at passing against us. We were very lucky Utah didn't have at least two or three long td passes against us.

Wyoming and AFA games I didn't get to see. AFA doesn't surprise me though - this is the same team that only had one pass attempt against Utah. It's sort of like saying, "Man, we sure shut down the passing game of that option-driven Army offense!"
1. Was it luck or did we rattle Wynn? He completed those passes vs. UNM, SDSU and even against TCU.
2. The AFA, Wyo and Tulane reference was TIC. (you should've known better :D )