It appears we have locker room issues

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: It appears we have locker room issues

Post by snoscythe »

BYUBALLIN wrote:My brother was a sports writer for Oregon newspaper and covered the ducks for years. When someone says a source and won't site it, not much to the story at all. I would bet 100 bucks it's was something tiny trying to get blown up.
:skeptic:

If Homoe had to go into a locker room, sit the team down, and tell them that Bronco had his full support, that's a pretty solid indicator that this was a pretty serious issue between the coaches and players--the AD had to come in from over the coaches' heads to try and put down the insurrection.

Also note that this was also reported by Brad Rock in the Deseret News, also citing unnamed sources. Unnamed sources are part and parcel of journalism. It's just up to the individual journalist to determine how trustworthy that source is prior to publishing.

NDCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: 2nd Favorite team

Post by NDCougar »

BYUBALLIN wrote:My brother was a sports writer for Oregon newspaper and covered the ducks for years. When someone says a source and won't site it, not much to the story at all. I would bet 100 bucks it's was something tiny trying to get blown up.

Huh? Unnamed sources are part of sports. Maybe things are different in Oregon, but not unnamed sources are the norm.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

snoscythe wrote:
:skeptic:

If Homoe had to go into a locker room, sit the team down, and tell them that Bronco had his full support, that's a pretty solid indicator that this was a pretty serious issue between the coaches and players--the AD had to come in from over the coaches' heads to try and put down the insurrection.

Also note that this was also reported by Brad Rock in the Deseret News, also citing unnamed sources. Unnamed sources are part and parcel of journalism. It's just up to the individual journalist to determine how trustworthy that source is prior to publishing.
If you are a player on the team, say Bills, that's aware of the discord and may be a bit tired of hearing his coach publicly bash the performance of his teammates, you may feel inclined to talk to a reporter but not want your name mentioned, especially given BM's history of favoritism.

When teams are winning, you rarely hear of rifts. When teams are losing, rifts are the norm. The fact Holmoe had to even show up is extremely telling.

Time to clean the pot from within, Holmoe.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

Did Monty's tweet seriously call Holmoe "Tom Homo"? :bug:

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Fido wrote:Did Monty's tweet seriously call Holmoe "Tom Homo"? :bug:

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

I suppose I'd understand being upset better if things were not so clear: the players have not played well and for a coach to state the obvious--well it comes across as being cry babies. I have not heard the coaches heaping it all on the players. Bronco has taken responsibility for play calling preparation etc. But no amount of play calling and preparation can overcome inexcusable penalties, assignment flawed football, etc. The players need to eat some humble pie, look in the mirror, and say coach is right. We have sucked. let's do better. Coaches are doing it. Why do players get a pass?

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I'm shocked that a team that has lost four in a row is pointing fingers everywhere.

Lockerroom issues got part and parcel with a losing team. I bet most teams that lost several games in a row and didn't play well in any of them would also have lockerroom issues.

I bet even the Patriots and Broncos would have issues too.

It's like the Seahawks. They win the Super Bowl and everyone loves them. But this year, they're losing games and trading guys and we're hearing things about lockerroom issues there as well.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BYUBALLIN
Sophomore

Post by BYUBALLIN »

So your in the room when Bronco does recruting that's all he does? Pretty sure we would not be getting talented lds and non lds guys if this is the case. I seriously doubt that your not gonna go after a kid because of his dad. Do you know how many people they talk to about character during recruiting because I do. I know of first hand offensive lineman that Bronco has recruited and your anylasis of it could not be further off.

BYUBALLIN
Sophomore

Post by BYUBALLIN »

NDCougar wrote:

Huh? Unnamed sources are part of sports. Maybe things are different in Oregon, but not unnamed sources are the norm.
How many times do those unnamed sources info became complete crap as well. If your man enough to go shooting your mouth off to reporters, and come back and say oooo don't use my name..I already have a prob with your credibility..If all that is really happening it should be a handled in house. If your the kinda player that gonna run to the media then hide iam not sure I want u on the team anyway.

NDCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: 2nd Favorite team

Post by NDCougar »

BYUBALLIN wrote:So your in the room when Bronco does recruting that's all he does? Pretty sure we would not be getting talented lds and non lds guys if this is the case. I seriously doubt that your not gonna go after a kid because of his dad. Do you know how many people they talk to about character during recruiting because I do. I know of first hand offensive lineman that Bronco has recruited and your anylasis of it could not be further off.
What are you talking about? You keep discussing subjects not included in the posts. Of course he discussed character, everyone knows that.

I am talking about rolling out the red carpet. I have heard that first hand from players who played at BYU and players who did not go to BYU (not going to discuss specific people on a public board). It is well documented Bronco dislikes recruiting. We are not landing top guys often and missing on LDS and HC type kids all the time.

Not discussing character or kids who are not a fit. I am discussing missing players who are BYU type kids. We are missing because Bronco does not recruit as hard as others.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image